+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Griefers can nothing be done?

Griefers can nothing be done?

I have now several times experienced people intentionally throwing games. Just to be clear I'm not one to say someone is throwing just because they make a misplay or because I think they're bad players. I don't really care if people are supposedly "bad." We're all playing the game to have fun. You make mistakes, I make mistakes, we all make mistakes some times. I try to treat everyone with respect, and expect others to at the very least play to the best of their ability and not badmouth me for no reason.

Some times I have suspicions someone is griefing because it looks like they're intentionally misplaying. I'm not even talking about that. That's just suspicions. I give people the benefit of the doubt.

No,I'm talking about having experienced several different people announce at the start of the match (most often in ranked), that they're going to throw and then proceed to do just that. Run into the middle of the map and get killed, stand in a corner and do nothing, intentionally miss shots etc. etc.

Many of them have then gone on to spread toxicity in other matches too, often badmouthing teammates and saying it's the teammates who are at fault for the toxic person throwing.

I feel very strongly that behavoiur like that should have consequences and I always report people for behaving like that.

Here's the thing though, I suspect the report function does nothing. In other games I get notifications if a player I reported was penalized after. That doesn't happen in Atlas Reactor. Moreover, I see these same people over and over again repeating their toxic behavior and throwing games intentionally after announcing clearly that's what they're doing.

Why? Why is this allowed?

Can nothing be done?

Toxic griefing like that is kinda' starting to ruin the game for me. It happens far too often.

This is very closely related to the queue dodge problem.

I hate queue dodging. I consider the match to have started when drafting starts, and I find it dishonourable to not play what you draft. Queue dodging because of a disadvantagous draft, to me, is like rage quitting in match because of disadvantagous positioning. Signing up for a ranked match should be seen as a commitment to see it through from beginning of draft to the end of the match. I think we all owe that much to our fellow players.

That being said, if reporting people who grief intentionally doesn't work, if we can't opt to avoid them as teammates, if blocking them doesn't block their toxic pings, what are we supposed to do when we sign up for ranked and see them on our team? Do I owe it to my two other teammates to try to win a 3v4 with a griefer on our team who intentionally keeps feeding? That's nearly impossible.

It seems like the way the system works right now then even though queue dodging is a sin and all dodgers deserve to listen to Rebecca Black on repeat for eternity, I actually owe it to my teammates to take a penalty hit to my queue times. To avoid the known griefer.

Some other games have an "avoid as teammate" option. I like that, but with the low player base in Atlas Reactor, that couldn't possibly work. The only thing I can see working is if reporting people actually did something. If intentional griefing actually had consequences.

And also, of course, blocking people should not only mute their text, but also their pings.

Quote Originally Posted by DisThoughts View Post
    I hate queue dodging. I consider the match to have started when drafting starts, and I find it dishonourable to not play what you draft. Queue dodging because of a disadvantagous draft, to me, is like rage quitting in match because of disadvantagous positioning. Signing up for a ranked match should be seen as a commitment to see it through from beginning of draft to the end of the match. I think we all owe that much to our fellow players.
    I said multiple times here that ranked matches doesnt work in AR because of the low player base and the lack of a proper division system that comes with it.

It's not fair to be queued with a bunch of newcomers and going against veterans because the system thought it was fair to put the said newcomers in my team while the other side gets the "good players". So yeah, i'm sorry but im going to dodge because i dont want to spend my points and most important, 20+ minutes of my life playing a losing game right from the start. Its unfair.

Its not my fault (or yours) that the system was made this way. Like i said, i think ranked should be wiped out from the game and reworked into something else.

Quote Originally Posted by DisThoughts View Post
    No,I'm talking about having experienced several different people announce at the start of the match (most often in ranked), that they're going to throw and then proceed to do just that. Run into the middle of the map and get killed, stand in a corner and do nothing, intentionally miss shots etc. etc.
    I done that only 3 times since i started playing AR and i know its a very bad thing to do, but i had to. One of these 3 times was recent ( 2 months ago i guess) I was playing Su-Ren and me and other 2 teammates pinged our tank to stay because i was ulting him. At the last second he changed his idea and decided to cata away with my ult on him. It was the last turn and if he stayed we have won the game, but because of this missplay we lost the match.

The said player was not a newcomer. He is a veteran that plays almost every day for at least the past 2 seasons.

In the next match i threw on purpose just to have some kind of payback. I announced it at the lobby so everyone that was not involved could dodge.

I'm not proud of my actions but i dont like to have my time wasted for nothing. If the said player was a newcomer i could just forgive his mistake but that was not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by MotokoZeratul View Post
    Like i said, i think ranked should be wiped out from the game and reworked into something else.
    I wouldn't have agreed with this until recently, but yes. Probably.

+ Reply to Thread