+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Serious punishment for queue dodging, and modification of current block feature.

Serious punishment for queue dodging, and modification of current block feature.

Hello devs!
    I love this game, and I have a few suggestions that might help improve it.

1 - As it's a developing game, the community is rather small. That means people know each other. This has led to an annoying amount of ranked game dodges by some players.
    I understand that there is punishment for queue times, and that this punishment of being unable to re-queue escalates if the player does it repeatedly, but it seems to me that the punishment is so acceptable, that some players choose to pay its price, and that the number of actual disconnects is not nearly proportional to the number of people exploiting this mechanic to get better "draft setups".
    My suggestion is that players are allowed to use this mechanic with no punishment once a day only. Anything beyond that should cost the player what most ranked players are after (and abuse the dodge mechanic for): Rank points. If you are worried about someone being punished unfairly because they have multiple disconnects, maybe they shouldn't be playing ranked to begin with, as 3 other players will have their own chance of winning sent down the drain, due to AI vs the game's complex mechanics.
    If none of the suggestions given above are considered acceptable, I ask that you look into other successful games' dodging penalties, and apply here something that is proven to work.

2 - Player block mechanics. Some of the people you meet online in all gaming communities have acid personalities, and that forces us to cut all communication from them.
    Please not that by ALL communication, I mean stop ping spams as well. Some players don't chat in channels at all, they simply spam pings the whole game, and the current blocking feature doesn't filter that out as well.

I hope to see the community of this game grow bigger and stronger, with the use of common sense by the devs. Cheers!

I agree with the player blocking. I do not play ranked so I don't have any input for the queue dodging.

I like how easy it is to block toxic players however the ping spammers are still a problem. I don't need you to tell me to attack x character 10 times within a 5 second period. Ping spamming isn't just a communication issue its an overall game distraction. Pinging can definitely be helpful when used correctly but when people use it every turn it is annoying. My team doesn't need to be micromanaged by another player. If its during the final turns and a prime target needs to be killed then sure spam away so the team can focus someone. But if that is what a player does every single turn I do not want to play with them.

I have read recently that devs plan on increasing the ranked pool. I think this is awesome, but at the same time, I strongly suggest something must be done about queue dodging.
    Maybe hide every player's name until the game has started, so that leavers will lose rank points?
    The way it is right now, the rank farmers will always leave if they identify someone they don't think is good in their team, or make an effort to team up with someone they know. This increases the queue time unnecessarily and benefits the dishonest player who chooses to lame the game in order to "roll" a better team.

You want to increase player pool on ranked games? Please start by fixing this. If you allow players to benefit from this terrible practice, don't expect them not to do it.

Complete nonsense. It makes no sense to somehow special punish players for leaving from ranked match with the current situation in ranked.
    And we have a situation where you can get the highest rank and be in the highest part by simply grind and dodging from the game with bad setups, playing only matches with suitable allies for you. I understand that it is ugly when a player deliberately leaves the match and plays only in the ideal teams. But while there are matches, when there are 4 Contenders against you, and in your team 1-2 newbies and you actually play 3 vs 4 with no chance of winning and almost 100% loss — it is silly to impose special punishments. I also leaving the matches, because I come here to play and I can still understand the honest defeat. I do not want to spend 20 minutes of my life on guaranteed defeat, because some idiot decided to try ranked gamemode and spoil game for me. In the ranked we have too large scattering players in skills in the absence of balance. So some Contenders are always a reliable support in the team, while others do not even deserve a place at this rank and received it only by grind and playing in "perfect" matches. There is also such a dishonest moment as the Solo Queue can be balance vs Duo queue. Duo players know each other and play in conjunction, and possibly on the discord, when a simple solo team plays completely improvisation. What about ping spammers? I can't say anything, I have never had such a problem. Unless it is worth making so that also at a usual white tag on the map showed who puts it. Because sometimes there is someone who clicks on the map, trying to show you something, but you do not know who does it and you do not understand.

I agree completely that blocking someone should also block their pings and that "white" pings should have the name of the pinger attached like all other pings.

I'm not sure about the proposed solution to the dodge problem. I agree that people are abusing the system - i.e. that it is actually a thing that is happening - but if you have an otherwise stable internet connection and suffered a single disconnect would you then stop playing ranked for the day just because of that? If you're like me, you wouldn't. You'd think "huh. Weird disconnect. That doesn't usually happen. Oh, well. Must have been a one off." If you then discover it wasn't a one-off, under the proposed system you'd get severely punished.

Also speaking from personal experience I have accidentally queue dodged some times just because the ridiculously long queue times have made me space out entirely so that I didn't notice that I was supposed to select a character.

I also think it's a larger issue with balanced matchmaking not being possible with this small of a player base. If game were bigger contender ranks wouldn't end up playing with or against bronze players. It's not weird that some people would dodge if they get two bronze players on their team against 4 contenders. Not excusing it, just saying it isn't weird that they'd be sorely tempted.

The punishment I propose is that a dodge or a disconnect should count as a loss for the player's rank. This would utterly discourage queue dodgers, as the reason why they dodge is to assure their win to begin with. This wouldn't punish single disconnects unfairly, and would assure queue dodgers stop this coward practice entirely.

Due to the small ranked player base, what we currently face is, as a matter of fact, a sad paradox: The player base is small because people lose too much time to play ranked, BECAUSE of queue dodgers, and people dodge games BECAUSE the player base is small.
    Devs have the right idea by making ranked more attractive by implementing skins that can only be purchased with ranked obtainable points, but the ranked experience itself needs to be improved as well.

+ Reply to Thread