+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Black Screen with Cursor

Black Screen with Cursor

Here's the situation--my wife, our daughter and I all play Atlas Reactor on the same PC. Each of us has a user profile on the PC, and each of us has an individual Atlas Reactor account. My wife and I can play with no problems. Our daughter, though, cannot. When she hits the "Play" button, she gets the loading music, but only a black screen with cursor.

Working with tech support, I've so far been asked to:

1. Update video card drivers (they were admittedly a little old, so I updated them. No improvement.)
    2 Reinstall the game (done, and reinstalled Glyph for good measure. No improvement.)
    3. Disable background and startup tasks (done. No improvement.)
    4. Update .NET and C++ (both were current, so that didn't work)
    5. Update Windows (this is a Windows 10 PC, so that's not even a choice any more)
    6. Reconfigure my firewall to allow the game client to pass (done. No improvement.)
    7. Update DirectX 9 (this PC is running DirectX 12, so that didn't work)
    8. Reinstall the game (yes, I know this was number 2--I'm being asked to do it again)

All of these suggested remedies are system-wide, which I find peculiar since--to reiterate--I can play the game on this PC, and my wife can play the game on this PC. Only our daughter is having this problem. The tech support folks have been very polite, but I feel like they're just going down a list of possible solutions and not actually paying attention to what I'm saying.

Has anyone else had this issue, and (more importantly) has anyone else RESOLVED this issue?

Thanks!

I have not had that issue. But I do have some experience troubleshooting stuff like this. I'd say the most likely scenario is that the game is throwing an exception very early, preventing it from continuing the startup process.

Does your daughter's account have different privileges than you and your wife's?

Did you install via steam? or directly with Glyph?

Have a look for a file called "output_log.txt" in a directory that's Altas Reactor related (with a recent timestamp.) See if it gets written to when your daughter plays. If so, check to see if there are any errors or exceptions reported. Unfortunately, I think the most likely failure is that her account doesn't have write privileges to game data, so she might not even be able to write the log file. If it's not getting written to when she plays but does get written to when you play, this is a clue that permissions might be the cause.

Thank you for the suggestions, Kujo. I'll check out the output log this evening and post what I find.

+1 another one with the same issue (the black screen) - (got an open ticket about it)

+ Reply to Thread