+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Why does this game use so much cpu/gpu?

Why does this game use so much cpu/gpu?

It's ridiculous how much of my system this game uses. this game puts more stress on my computer than any other game i run.

Why?

Its poorly optimised.

My laptop is not even a year old has 4gb ram, 2.4ghz 4core and a HD graphics card which reaches min spec but sucks the life out of my computer, for example.

Without Atlas running, CPU 1-2%, memory 38% and Disk 1-2%

With Atlas, CPU 80=90%, Memory 70-98% (the memory gets worse the longer I play so I restart every 4/5 games) and disk 90 -100%.

Its only a turn based game, is it right that TF2 for example runs far better than this game?

I do appreciate that its hard to optimise a game for a wide spectrum of hardware (and its great that they have updated to 64bit) but this is a f2p game and as such a lot of the customer base will generally have low end specs which could be another factor why this game hasn't taken off in the way I hoped.

Also its costs money, my understanding is that just the manpower alone to really optimise a game is very costly and is something that happens as the game becomes more successful in order to justify said costs but how will the game get more popular if Trion don't market the game?

90-100% disk sounds strange for Atlas Reactor. It shouldn't be touching your disk unless you're at a loading screen. Even when loading a match, my task manager doesn't even show > 10% disk. You're not streaming video or something, are you?

Well optimized games often still use 100% CPU: optimizing a game is about doing as much as you can with the resources on the machine, not about using less resources. Without some way to limit framerate (like a vsync option), optimizing Atlas Reactor will just make the frame rate go up.

Your memory usage is concerning. 4G is a low for a gaming system these days. I run the 64-bit Atlas Reactor, and I see it sitting at 2G most of the time. If you're low on physical memory, that could explain your high disk usage too.. try turning on the "PF Delta" column in task manager. (details tab, right click "Name" -> "Select Columns".) It should be less than 10 most of the time, with the occasional spike <100. You can try reducing the graphics quality so that texture sizes are smaller; that might reduce your memory pressure. This is something that optimizing could help by finding textures that are needlessly high resolution or using more texture compression options.

Thanks for the advice kujo, I only notice the high disk rate when the game crashes and I go into task manager to force close the game and it sits at around that mark, but yeah when I start the game it is at min.

I have rolled back to the 32bit version and a lot of the problems have gone away like the game crashing and freezing (although it does still freeze a little when it changes screens) and the graphics are set to min although I am now getting the white flecks coming from the stealth squares which I never got before.

What are your thoughts on a memory leak? it does start at 1.7gb and then after a game its on 2.5 -2.9gb, I know some of this is for the graphics card but after say 6/7 games I have to reset or it will crash when I am in a middle of the game. its noticeable how it gets worse over the session.

When I ran a games compatibility test I did say that the shader runs at 3 in the game but my laptop is at 5 which it highlighted as an issue but I don't know much about that.

Like I said I do meet their min specs if I need 8gb to play the game then they should say that. its not a question of quality for me but whether I can actually play the game or not.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Edit:- so after I finished a session of 5 games I checked the PF DELTA value for AR, it changes every 1/2 second but most of the values were at either 2000, 4000 and as high as 6000, sometimes it would pop up as 60 or say 200.

Not sure why it would be a "compatibility issue" for a game to use an older shader model than your card supports. It's just a sign that the game could be doing more advanced effects than it is, but that's the opposite of the problem you're having, hehe.

That high PF Delta is certainly concerning.

Interesting that you didn't seem to get any extra play time by reducing the graphics settings.

Take your first memory measurement after your first match (back at the freelancer selection screen.) Then play another match, return to freelaner selection, and take another measurement. The interesting columns are "Memory (private working set)" and "Commit Size". If it's growing much after each match, that's a sign of something that Trion could improve. You'll probably also get a feel for the numbers when you need to restart the game to avoid the high PF Delta (which will make the game perform poorly) or crash.

At least you have a work-around so it won't crash during a match!

Quote Originally Posted by RebelMC View Post
    My laptop is not even a year old has 4gb ram, 2.4ghz 4core and a HD graphics card
    You got ripped off. That's similar to the specs I was playing WoW on at launch over a decade ago. Only difference is my CPU was a dual core. I can't comment on the GPU though since "HD graphics card" is basically meaningless and tells me nothing. But yeah that computer is not fit for gaming in 2017. Upgrade to at least a 4ghz quad core CPU and 8gb of RAM minimum. Also, check if you have a real GPU or integrated. I'd put money on it being the latter. It's not the game's fault you're trying to play it on a machine with extremely low specs.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelMC View Post
    With Atlas, CPU 80=90%, Memory 70-98% (the memory gets worse the longer I play so I restart every 4/5 games) and disk 90 -100%
    My PC is over 3 years old and the CPU use tops out at 20%. RAM is at 30%. Disk use fluctuates between 0% and 1% unless I'm in a loading screen and I don't even have a SSD. I'm not trying to be mean here. I'm just being realistic. That's just not a gaming computer, man.

+ Reply to Thread