+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pup Stealth

Pup Stealth

Pup's stealth is a very strong part of his kit that I feel can often be incredibly strong since you require traps to get any information on him when he crosses the map. There is no other counter play and even when you land a trap on him you don't know the actual square he stops on. I think that potentially a way to combat his stealth is to have him lost his stealth at the end of the turn if you deal damage to him. I think this might be the best way to combat him and would make his stealth much closer to nix's while still potentially having pup keep his strong stealth if he avoids traps successfully. Wondered what other people think.

There is a counter play to Pup (well, any Lancer who goes inv) if you pressure him with reveal. Grey can be ok counter to keep him revealed but sometimes she doesn't have the upper hand 1v1 with Pup.
    A better Lancer 1v1 IMO is Titus can reveal for days. with Blast: Battlefield Triage (gain 5Hp but Pup has the upper hand). Prep: Terrifying Cry (weak + reveal for the team to target Pup). And of course Prep: Dirty Fighting.
    Also, Pup lacks range most of the time and that's a plus for the other team.

Okay first of all pup lacking range isnt exactly true, while his primary is limited to melee, his pounce and walkies have long range and are designed to drag him or the enemy into melee combat. Infact pounce not only has a long range, you can further increase it with a +3 range mod allowing pup to travel like 9 tiles, which is basically nix range but also only has a 2turn CD and it has autofollow.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyoken View Post
    Okay first of all pup lacking range isnt exactly true, while his primary is limited to melee, his pounce and walkies have long range and are designed to drag him or the enemy into melee combat. Infact pounce not only has a long range, you can further increase it with a +3 range mod allowing pup to travel like 9 tiles, which is basically nix range but also only has a 2turn CD and it has autofollow.
    I meant he lacks range 1v1 in Megabite as a Firepower (Similar to Kaigen & Tolren) compared to the rest. My bad.
    Also, Walkies can be countered with Unstoppable and some lanceres can have them in Mods already and be combined with Catalyists to counter Pub's walkies and pretty much make him easy target.

I'm not downgrading Pub, I'm just shedding the light at what can go wrong .Having said that, he's he can perform mean damage.
    Cheers, have a good munch munch woof!

PuP main here: PuP's invis is just an Invis + Might (+ Energized or Unstop sometimes) that disappears when PuP attacks (not including Echo Boost, but then PuP doesn't have Adred so...), and it's on a 5 turn (that's a quarter of the game!) cool-down. This is why I essentially consider Bite and Run (-1 Prowl Protocol CD on bite hit) mandatory for any sort of Stealth Assassin PuP.

Prowl Protocol is an amazing ability I will not deny, but on an honestly incredibly predictable Freelancer like PuP (Walkies is on a 4 turn CD. Pounce is 2 turn but he has to autofollow afterwards - Basically PuP will always be close to you) it can be very easy to counter. Having any sort of long-ranged/AoE reveal (Titus reveal shout is the obvious one, and Grey comes in close second. Even making Rio hit invisible enemies will often be enough of an indicator as to where PuP is) will easily screw him over. And in general when he does appear you can just trip his tiny doggo legs and run off.

If you're truly having problems with PuP try picking Freelancers with strong close-ranged CCs. Especially knockbacks. In each category:
    Juno's Off Limits can quickly disengage a PuP and peel for your supports, while Riot Shield will absorb pretty much a full Megabite. Making Lockdown reveal enemies can be great if you think PuP is going to PP disengage, but extra damage per tile moved also does a hekking lot of damage if PuP dashes in with Pounce.
    Brynn is probably some of the best peel if the enemy is diving your team. Between Flight of the Valkarie's weaken and Soaring Shield's knockback, you can easily peel for your entire team if dove.
    and Aurora has a really good shot against PuP. Almost all of her abilities can provide a reveal, Paralyzer can either apply an AoE slow (amazing for just screwing up PuP's rotations) or AoE Unstoppable (anti-Walkies), and her heal knocks any nearby enemies back which is probably some of the strongest disengage for a dashless Freelancer. (Full move after Aurora heal knocks the enemy back.)

Honestly there are plenty of counters to PuP. He's very powerful if you give him the space to do what he wants, but focus fire will quickly force him to leave. PuP is essentially the "1v1 no seriously stop helping I can do this" King. He can solo pretty much any Freelancer in the game but easily gets shut down by focus fire.

I'm biased af towards PuP but he really doesn't need a nerf IMO. Especially not one that completely destroys his main form of engage.

Please take this PuP nerf into consideration. Still relevant to this day

+ Reply to Thread