+ Reply to Thread

Thread: {Long Post} Freelancers balance discussion and few improvement ideas

{Long Post} Freelancers balance discussion and few improvement ideas

Hello. Here is LEGION346, member of team F.U.N and I want to talk and discuss the Atlas Restore balance which most of the players know, is really off. Some lancers are basically auto ban / pick (I'm looking at you Zuki) and some nearly do not exist or there are mods that are problematic. I do not take into account win rates for casuals and ranked games because of the huge variety of players' skills which can affect the charts. Ratios means nothing most of the time. Lancers order is random. Except first. Let's begin with:

Zuki

Zuki at the moment is first pick / ban because of her kit and removal of turtle tech few patches ago. Her primary, mainly ability to ignore the cover, while dealing more damage than any other lancer seems to be a bit unfair. 7,5 range allows Zuki to hit most of them out of their range (there are a few exceptions). You don't need to even directly hit someone to deal good amount of damage. Just hit the spot near them. What I hope to see changed about Zuki's primary:
    Decrease range by 0,5.
    or / and
    Make her primary deal AoE damage ONLY if you hit someone or wall not a blind spot on the map. Walls and cover will mean something while facing Zuki.

Elle

Elle. My lovely Elle. All she needs is just roll changes and some drone upgrades. That's all. 1 square roll is pathetic and can't really save you in most of the games and her drone is a joke when compared to other traps. Let's start with a roll.
    It needs to be 2 square roll. It will allow Elle to somehow be able to avoid being hit and get into nearby cover. With this change, 3 stocks of roll mod needs to have added "increase cooldown to regenerate roll by 1" or removed / replaced. Why not experiment with it. Maybe players will like it.
    Now her drone.
    Make her drone ignore cover without the mod. Just that. Make it somehow comparable to other traps.
    That all. Elle needs some love. Not only she of course but I really want to see Elle be good.

Helio

I have only 1 complaint about Helio. Mighty shield. This needs to be removed. Mighty shields are too good to not use them, especially in double support comps that are really popular. Quark can also give might but it decreases its healing output. Finn can also give might with his healing spray, but at least this ability has mods that make it not the best. Same case with Aurora's paralyzer. Mighty shields are nah.

Oz

I said at the beginning that I will not take win rates into account, but in this case, I need to use them. Oz has high win rate, yes, but only because unorganized teams can't deal with him because of lack of communication. Players who at least know what to do will exploit Oz weaknesses turning him into a punching bag. His nerfs in previous patches were not really helpful. There are other launchers that need needs more balance changes than him, yet are untouched. I thought a bit about what to do with Oz, what can be changed, etc. and the only thing that came to my mind was to decrease cooldown on his dash by 1 to give him more opportunities to avoid being hit. Or reverse some nerfs. Or change his way of aiming to be more player friendly.

Juno

Frontliner and firepower combination is not really working. Juno and Elle are too vulnerable to slows, roots and any sort of trap making them first target. Juno has a harder time because once she was trapped, she is done. Her shield won't save her from dying. Even if support will do his or her best to save Juno, other teammates are left without any help. Her ultimate is great to deal damage, but it makes her even easier target and essentially tells her opponents: "Hey, put traps on me, shoot me".

Nix

Once there was energy Nix that was simply broken and annoying to play against but then nerfs came and removed that. New mods were added, but didn't help. Once Nix is found he is done for. The worst moment for the player is when he is found by a blind dash or just by luck of others who shot blindly. Don't misunderstand me. Nix can be great, can be played with great success, but there is a question: "What Nix can do better than other top FP?". He has only range. Zuki and Lockwood with bounce have range. Celeste can steal buffs. Grey can reveal. And they are safer than Nix. Maybe what I will suggest is too much, but why not simply try and test it? Maybe it will be good and if not, remove. So... Give Nix unstoppable on his invisibility or on his ultimate as a base. Just the turn it's used. Sounds too good, maybe, but as I said. Why not test it? Go a little bit crazy.

Garrison

I miss his "broken" alpha status. The only time when Garrison was good. After few nerfs, he was dragged into trash tier and stays there until now. There are few problems with Garrison.
    First, his primary is awful. Remove damage reduction on it. The player shouldn't be punished for hitting multiple targets. Why Titus, Rask, Asana, Phaedra or Rampart are not punished? Why? Simple why? It is such a short range attack that hitting 2 players is really rare. Damage reduction shouldn't be a thing.
    Garrison ranged attack. 20 damage that can be reduced by cover and slow, really? Rampart has pull which is a really great disruption tool, Titus has 25 damage dagger that reveals and it can also slow. Rusk has throw. Asana has root. I can keep going, but let's come back to Garrison. Make it 25 ( at least ) damage to make up for being weak when compared to other Frontliners ranged abilities.
    His rockets. Free action. Conditional 0 damage that can go up to 30. At least let it give Garrison some shield as a base ability feature. It will help him survive more when his dash is down.
    And now dash. First, remove root mod or Remove increase CD on it. Garrison already has a hard time surviving. Garrison dash is meant to be engage tool, but that is the problem. Once he engaged, he is vulnerable to basically everything. Titus dash is also meant to engage but Titus gets CD reduction allowing him to escape later. Garrison on the other hand is stuck in the middle of enemy team.
    Only his ultimate, after many changes is finally in a good spot. At least 1 good thing.

Brynn

The same case as with Garrison. Damage reduction on her primary needs to go. It is simply stupid to punish players for hitting multiple targets. Bryn primary targetter is so awful that hitting multiple targets is already hard enough.
    Her shield throws and multiple targets mod. Why she can't knock multiple targets? Why not remove the damage on the second bounce making it a simple CC tool. Other frontiers can CC multiple enemies. Asana can root 2 players, Rask can throw 4 (Why is it even a thing in a first place?), Rampart can pull 2 so why Brynn can't knock back 2 targets?

Asana

Removal of Turtle Tech and Brain Juice nerf weakend Asana making her slightly less powerful. I thought about simply increasing her health pull by 10 or 15 to make up for the nerfs.

I think that is all I wanted to mention, discuss and talk about. I really want to see all lancers about to get some nerfs and buffs to help the game stay relatively balanced.
    Thanks for reading it and if you disagree with me or have other ideas, say it. Discussions are always good, as long as no one acts impropriety.

Pretty good ideas really.
    I almost agree with all of them. (asana is S-tier, really no buffs needed)
    But what i really want to see is any change at all. It feels like ages since the last really impactful patch has come out and the game has become incredibly stale.
    Even if the changes wont be the perfect iteration for a character it at least shuffles around the meta.

Also one big thing you guys need to adress:
    Double support meta has become the most dominant setup in competitive atlas. And it is really boring to play and play against. I'm not sure what ways would be best to change this, adding some healing reduction effect or reducing multiple healings on one turn. Whatever the case. Something bust be done.

Zuki
    "Make her primary deal AoE damage ONLY if you hit someone or wall not a blind spot on the map. Walls and cover will mean something while facing Zuki."
    This is a sick idea if it can be done and would definitely improve the state of the game.

Elle
    Elle just needs damage changes on primary, I would like to see her fulfill the 'shotgun' thing more prominintly by having a natural damage increase in close proximity and a lesser impact at a big range.
    Adding an extra range to her dash would be complete insanity.
    Her trap is fine.

Helio
    Might shields are fine, they are on par with mod pod costs in comparison to other ones like 'through walls' and 'extra value'

Oz
    Either allow his clone to act autonomously with attacks (so you make your real body attack then your clone so they don't just aim at the mouse) or find a way to reward him more for clever play. Perhaps lower his bae damage but have a passive that increase the damage he deals the further away his clone is.

Juno
    Juno is fine, she isn't broken but she isn't weak, she just has a niche.

Nix
    Nix is fine, He's really good on big maps with teams that can peel for him or against defensive teams, again niche's aren't bad which nix has.

Garrison
    Agree with the damage reduction not making sense on primary.
    Garison feels liek he should be super tanky, but none of his abilities really reflect that? I suggest a change to the free action rockets or hand cannon for a complete overhaul to a more tank orientated ability or punish for taking the damage. Maybe he absorbs damage on the chargeup round of rockets and a % of that damage is added to his rocket total? Just something that rewards tanking not just a poor melee fp with high hp.

Brynn
    Brynn has a great primary attack idk what you're talking about tbh, her problem is she doesn't do anything that's particularily special, more like a jack of all trades master of none type deal.

Asana
    Asana is totally fine, she's not broken but she's definitely good.

Titus
    Thought I'd add this guy in here because he's not the best but I like the state he's in, just another example of where he fits a niche and that's fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hossy View Post
    Elle
    Elle just needs damage changes on primary, I would like to see her fulfill the 'shotgun' thing more prominintly by having a natural damage increase in close proximity and a lesser impact at a big range.
    Adding an extra range to her dash would be complete insanity.
    Her trap is fine.
    Ummm ... considering she is one of the "riskiest" firepowers, that is, she has to put herself in more danger than most others, her trap is, essentially, useless ... it's certainly, unarguably, the weakest trap of any firepower ... i just don't get, and have never understood since release, why that is the case? It just does not make logical sense.

+ Reply to Thread