+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Atlas Reactor Team post in this thread.   Thread: questions about the future of AR

questions about the future of AR

im not sure if Trion is able to let us know this kind of info but i thought i would ask anyway.
    Will AR be getting any kind of real objective to put more meat on its bones. something that will be standerd for ranked and competitive play. i know alot of the competitive players have been asking for this alot, and nothing has ever really been said. TDM is becoming stale fast for alot of us.

2.   This is the last Atlas Reactor Team post in this thread.   #2
    Community Manager
    Hi True circa,
    I appreciate your want for AR to continue to grow and evolve - we, too, want this. One of the things I've been privy to, having worked at the game studio now, is that there are plans MONTHS and months out. And there are things being worked on way ahead of what you currently see. Unfortunately, for several reasons, we can't always talk about those, or even hint about them! This makes me sad, but the reasons are sound and I've come to respect that reasoning.

One of my goals as a CM is to be as transparent as possible - <"as possible" is important. Again, there are certain things I can't reveal at times. I tell you all of this to say this - Trust is hard to expect when I say something like "Yeah! We just can't tell you, yet." , but I'm requesting trust nonetheless. All of the great things we've made for you all has been born from projects and features that have been developing for a long time before you get to see them. So the results should speak for themselves. We brainstorm, prototype, develop, test, tweak, test, confirm, and release lots of things all overlapping with each other. You mostly get to see the "test, confirm, release" portion of that pipeline. Occasionally we get to let you in a little earlier, but there is inherent risk to that. What if we realize we don't like the experience we're crafting and feel we should scrap it for another thing? What if that cool thing just falls in priority to something else, time and time again? These things are expected in a production environment, but aren't often expected by the players. We want to make the best experience we possibly can for you all, but it takes time.

We greatly appreciate the community's patience and understanding when we can't be as transparent as we want to be, but we'll always be as transparent as we can! We always have things in the works

Things are layered like this usually. Not sure if this visualization helps, but I tried haha.
    THING ONE
    ______THING TWO
    _____________THING THREE

Can we at least have the suitcase game mode back? Don't know why you'd go to the trouble to develop a game mode and then just delete it.

What I am really worried about is the business model direction shift which starts to become apparent. Bought for money skins that are not available otherwise? Really?
    One of the major selling factors of the game for a LOT of us was the awesome business model we got sold on. Buy once, own everything. We supported this move from the
    get go, I bought the game as soon as it was possible to do so. The full free to play shift was not really bad as it did not really affect us. But now bought skins? Seriously guys?
    And what's next? Bought lancers? That's some serious doublebacking here in action.
    Mind me I have no problem with paying extra for an expansion, that includes serious content. But this microtransaction model of things that can not be acquired by playing
    alone is a no go.
    If you are so inclined to follow this sad state of the gaming market, then please do not go back on your initial promises and maintain a dual model. Let the "free" players buy
    whatever they want for money and let us on our original, promised buy to play model. It is very disappointing to see the game shifting into the same old trends which we wanted
    to avoid. Please do not betray our trust and support.

Quote Originally Posted by Nodens View Post
    What I am really worried about is the business model direction shift which starts to become apparent. Bought for money skins that are not available otherwise? Really?
    One of the major selling factors of the game for a LOT of us was the awesome business model we got sold on. Buy once, own everything. We supported this move from the
    get go, I bought the game as soon as it was possible to do so. The full free to play shift was not really bad as it did not really affect us. But now bought skins? Seriously guys?
    And what's next? Bought lancers? That's some serious doublebacking here in action.
    Mind me I have no problem with paying extra for an expansion, that includes serious content. But this microtransaction model of things that can not be acquired by playing
    alone is a no go.
    If you are so inclined to follow this sad state of the gaming market, then please do not go back on your initial promises and maintain a dual model. Let the "free" players buy
    whatever they want for money and let us on our original, promised buy to play model. It is very disappointing to see the game shifting into the same old trends which we wanted
    to avoid. Please do not betray our trust and support.

The bought skins was actually requested by the community along the lines of " I would rather just buy the skin than gamble with loot boxes". Which is a sentiment in a lot of games that have loot boxes. They have already said that those skins will be available in loot boxes later on down the road ( cant remember the exact timeline ) if you would prefer getting them from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Katra View Post
    The bought skins was actually requested by the community along the lines of " I would rather just buy the skin than gamble with loot boxes". Which is a sentiment in a lot of games that have loot boxes. They have already said that those skins will be available in loot boxes later on down the road ( cant remember the exact timeline ) if you would prefer getting them from there.
    What gamble with lootboxes? If you can't wait for a drop you can buy any skin you want with iso or flux.. This doesn't make any sense, who in the right mind would ask to buy skins with money exclusively which MAY appear in loot boxes down the road, claiming they don't like gambling with loot boxes when they can buy them directly with game currency.. This doesn't make ANY sense whatsoever. If someone actually asked for this they must have been brain dead.
    Seriously this doesn't make any sense, so I really don't buy it. What I do buy is what is evident, a shift to the traditional free-to-play, microtransaction-for-everything model. It looks like it's happening, slowly but happening. First free 2 play, now skins. Next is lancers and whatever extra consumables...

did you miss the part where they said that the cash-gated skins will eventually be available in loot boxes and for ISO?
    The one thing that could cause cowboys and Indians to join forces is their mutual enemy: dinosaurs.

If you had read my posts you would know that I have not missed it and that the whole point is not the cash skins in themselves but the obvious shift to the classic F2P microtransaction infested business model when the game was clearly sold to us as buy to play/pay once get everything. It's like getting a product advertised as including all extras forever and suddenly getting told that there are some extras you can't get now unless you pay extra but you'll get them at some point in the future. Doesn't that immediately ring an alarm? Doesn't it smell as a sure thing that there will be lancers coming up on the same policy?

Still people who have bought the game, should have the skins directly offered in boxes and iso, anyhow.

Like I said, if they want to cater to the F2P crowd, they should operate on 2 speeds. If people who refuse to buy the game really want to pay money for skins instead of getting them through normal play , let them (how stupid does that sound? it does because usually those people do not pay any money whatsoever so this move is marketed towards us who do..the buyers of the game who got sold on that we would never have to do something like that) . Those who buy the game should not be affected. All skins should be in boxes and available for iso by default. And we should NEVER see lancers that we have to pay extra to get now or get for free at some random time in the future (or never- worst case scenario).

Let us be clear here, what you are talking about is COSMETICS. NONE of this affects gameplay. The great thing about Atlas Reactor is that by its very design it can NEVER be P2W, all of the lancer stats are set and do not change no mater how long you play or what you buy. You were NOT promised "Buy once, own everything." you were promised all LANCERS forever. This promise has been kept! It is just about impossible to own everything since there are cosmetic items (banners, overcons, skins, etc.) that are only available during "events" like holidays.

I think it is a great idea for Atlas Reactor to have more ways to encourage direct purchase of items. Heck, many AAA games sell cosmetics as DLC. There are people that see a skin and want it. They do not want to wait for a random loot box to give it to them or grind enough ISO to get it. They want it now and they want to pay for it. In game micro transactions are important for revenue. I want this game to continue and that takes money. As long as only COSMETICS are being sold I see NOTHING wrong with it!

I have a serious concern in that there's not enough available now for me to help support the game. I have no interest in getting much more from the store. The GG boosts are ok, as are the Loot Matrixes, but they don't really entice me and now I've bought the entire Freelancer pack it's an element of concern.

I love this game and think it's got a huge amount of potential but I would love to see some way for players to be encouraged to give it financial support in a more meaningful way. How that should manifest itself would be subject to debate and discussion of course, but something seems to be lacking here and that's of concern.

+ Reply to Thread