+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Atlas Reactor Team post in this thread.   Thread: Hi and what're your best tips?

Red face Hi and what're your best tips?

I'm (relatively) new to AR... I did dabble in Beta but I got distracted by "real life" (TM) and I let things drift a bit but I've just started playing again and I'm having a lot of fun.

I've got a few questions - like how to Taunts and Overcons work? They seem to be pretty random to me. How do I connect to Discord during matches? Are there any "guilds" in game or team communities?

Those are some good starting questions, also what are your best tips for getting the most out of the game?

Cheers

* Taunts: After selecting an ability for which you have a taunt, a ! should appear over your freelancer portrait (bottom left of the screen). Click that exclamation, and if necessary, choose the taunt to use. The taunt will play right before the ability does damage. So for abilities like Zuki's big one, the taunt will play NEXT turn. Garrison's missile barrage will taunt two turns in a row.
    * Overcon: Click the little chat bubble with a ! in it that sits in the bottom right of your freelancer portrait, then choose the overcon to use. It will happen immediately. You can choose an overcon even during the resolution phase
    * Discord: You need to have discord running already. I'm not sure if you need to be logged in to the Atlas Reactor server (https://discord.gg/5Xy7KbE) Then you can configure the game to auto-join discord, or you can click the "press here to join discord" that you get when a match forms. Sadly, usage of this feature is very low
    * There are some guids/teams, but I'm not in any.

Tips:
    -----
    * Watch the prep phase tournament videos (https://www.twitch.tv/prepphase). Especially pay attention to how they move; positioning in AR is subtle but super important.
    * Get some friends to play with you if you can! Shared experiences are so much richer.
    * Learn all the freelancers' abilities. You can't predict what you don't know.
    * Frontliners are not "tanks". Their job is not to sit up front and take damage every turn.

Overcons are great if you get the timing on them since they arr instants per say. I love using the present one from the holidays after a movement phase if im going to ult or just wteck the other team if they dont use a cata or dash to avoid my warpath. The eels bad is also totally worth the flux because sometimes it eels bad for them or for you but i play super agro so it comes in handy often

Thanks guys, useful info. So to clarify, do Taunts and Overcons actually have a game effect? I was expecting them to simply be cosmetic.

Rule #1: Staying alive is the most important thing you can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Vostok View Post
    Rule #1: Staying alive is the most important thing you can do.
    That makes a lot of sense! ;-)

How do I do that? :-p

Be in cover as much as possible. Don't be afraid to take a turn to run away and heal up. Don't blow your dash/teleport if it'll leave you vulnerable later. Think happy thoughts.

Makes lots of sense. I've been trying to connect in Discord and find other players, etc etc but I'm finidng that's hardly intuitive and the conversation is... limited.

Yes staying alive is super important but sometimes its best to know when to die. My general rule is if im under 15 hp and its going to take 5 or 6 turns to be more than a one shot kill i feel its better to cause as much hurt to the other team before i bite it.

I normally have great games with bb and elle where my damage output is in the 550 range easily all while often taking under 120 damge during the match and often going 4-0-4 or better in the MDK. Also beware of pointless damage, meaning if your doing
    500 plus damage but only getting 2 kills pretty much means that target priority needs adjusted ie shooting at shielded targets solo. I definitely play with alot of chess and billiards background and also see it as a messed up form of sudoku in an ethereal kind of way,

Also if you good at understanding patterns and flow of battle, prediction shots become more of probability shots.

So in short play 2 turns ahead and if you have a bad shot on them dont leave the other team a good shot on you.

Also Quark is a turd for life or in its case half-life

Taunts and overcons are just cosmetic btw and just more fun

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoclone View Post
    Yes staying alive is super important but sometimes its best to know when to die. My general rule is if im under 15 hp and its going to take 5 or 6 turns to be more than a one shot kill i feel its better to cause as much hurt to the other team before i bite it.

I normally have great games with bb and elle where my damage output is in the 550 range easily all while often taking under 120 damge during the match and often going 4-0-4 or better in the MDK. Also beware of pointless damage, meaning if your doing
    500 plus damage but only getting 2 kills pretty much means that target priority needs adjusted ie shooting at shielded targets solo. I definitely play with alot of chess and billiards background and also see it as a messed up form of sudoku in an ethereal kind of way,

Also if you good at understanding patterns and flow of battle, prediction shots become more of probability shots.

So in short play 2 turns ahead and if you have a bad shot on them dont leave the other team a good shot on you.

Also Quark is a turd for life or in its case half-life

Taunts and overcons are just cosmetic btw and just more fun
    But I like Quark, he's fun

Thanks though, that's great info. It makes a lot of sense. I've bought a couple of Freelancers so I'm trying to get them upskilled. How do levels work in this game?

+ Reply to Thread