+ Reply to Thread

Thread: comp. scene

comp. scene

i have had the pleasure of playing in the competitive scene recently and it has been alot of fun. i would love for this game to get a lot bigger as im sure we all would. my only concern is that the game is just a base death match mode in a sense. most of my games in the scene have been one team gets the first kill and you then really only have to run down the clock. It isnt all that fun to watch and there isnt a lot to cast on. i feel the game needs an objective to make more action happen. make it necessary for teams to square off, like with the extraction game mode. It is an intense game mode with alot going on even with the semi slow paced turn system, it is a lot of fun to play and surly it is more fun to watch and better for the casters as well. it doesnt have to be extraction but i think giving this game an objective and a real incentive to have to brawl it out would do it alot of good, and in a game mode like extraction even if it looks like one team has the game in the bag, there is always room for the other team to clutch it out and win. i think a game mode like this is a gold mine for a game like this to help really sell the game and make it more interesting to not only watch, but play as well. This is all just my opinion though

Founder
    I can't help but agree with this. Maybe eventually we'll get extraction in ranked? (trion pls)

I haven't watched prep phase in a bit, but I don't remember running the clock down to be that common when I was watching. Has that been a thing in AR? The maps are pretty small relative to your movement speed and attack range; it's not trivial for a whole team to just run and hide in AR.

its more common on maps like fly way and evos. its harder to do something like that on maps like omni and cloudspire for sure but it still doesn't make for a very interesting game to watch, and when it comes to trying to make a good esports game its more about how fun it is for spectators to watch vs. how fun it is to play

I completely agree with the OP. Competitive matches are extremely boring right now. Hide and seek until you have ults, blow up one target, if you succeed run and hide. Hopefully catalyst changes will alter this a bit, but I doubt it.

A simple zone control scheme would force the action and make for much more compelling strategies overall.

This is a really good post and I agree with the OP, I think characters like Zuki are a great example of the hide and ult play style (the fact you see her in every ranked game and comp kinda proves this) and as a spectator it can get very boring to watch. you don't even have any visual indicators as to who has what CD's etc.

Take a game like Hearthstone for example the turn times can be 45 secs yet it attracts millions of viewers, the reason being is that the viewer has all the information available to make their own decisions on plays and in turn feel part of the game. I think its important to note that that its not the turn times or speed of the games that will turn off spectators but whether they feel involved and part of experience.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelMC View Post
    This is a really good post and I agree with the OP, I think characters like Zuki are a great example of the hide and ult play style (the fact you see her in every ranked game and comp kinda proves this) and as a spectator it can get very boring to watch. you don't even have any visual indicators as to who has what CD's etc.

Take a game like Hearthstone for example the turn times can be 45 secs yet it attracts millions of viewers, the reason being is that the viewer has all the information available to make their own decisions on plays and in turn feel part of the game. I think its important to note that that its not the turn times or speed of the games that will turn off spectators but whether they feel involved and part of experience.
    Can only agree with this comment,I seen games where people were just waiting 10minutes for something to happen and people love to watch it.

This game Is also way too easy. One would expect turn-based game to give more punishment for wrong predictation and positioning
    I played games where moving 1 cube to the right would make you lose in next 2 turns. Here I can take lowest hp character ingame,run in middle of enemy,dash away,teleport even futher away
    and pretend nothing happened.

So there is not that "exciting" element . Where you stop your breath and hope you did not **** up.

Do you know that feel when you gonna tower dive in LOL and escape with 1to20 hp+1 to 2 kills in pocket? Hoping your timing was perfect?
    Nothing like that is here.

Quote Originally Posted by Midori Fuse View Post
    Here I can take lowest hp character ingame,run in middle of enemy,dash away,teleport even futher away
    So blow your best abilities/catalysts and accomplish nothing for 2 turns . Got it.

+ Reply to Thread