+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Overreacting Game Mode

Overreacting Game Mode

I believe to have a truly competitive Atlas Reactor game, we need a game mode with an objective. Enter the Implosion Mode. In this mode, both teams attempt to do the most damage to the Core (marked with the purple cells at the center). Grey lines/cells are low cover walls and obstacles, and black cells are full walls. In this mode, you can still damage and kill opponents and respawn, but the team with the highest score after 20 turns wins. As you can see, the core itself is surrounded by low walls to give cover from ranged attacks. There are also teleporters in each corner, which transport you to the oposite corner of the map should you end your turn there (useful for avoiding those pesky auto-followers). I haven't added camouflage to the map yet, but I will work on it.

This seems like a pretty interesting idea.

I've seen this gamemode proposed before, and it has the same problems now as it did before. the best way to play this gamemode is with a full fp team, since the core does the job of a frontliner for the frontliner, and if few or no attacks are hitting the enemy team, then there is no need for a support. all that either team needs to do to win is stand on the side of the core opposite the enemy team, and blast away. turning your attention away from the core and going after the enemy team would mean that there is less damage being done to the core, and even if you do manage to kill an enemy player, the 2 turn penalty for dying would be nothing compared to the 4 or more turns lost killing them. the way I see it, there needs to be some reason for to attack the enemy team.

A good way to do this would be to have the core deal damage just like asana's shield, so you can't attack for too long without killing yourself. you could also make the core immune to damage until someone from either team dies, then the team that scored the kill has 1-2 turns to deal damage to the core, or each player from that team is able to attack the core once before it becomes immune again.

+ Reply to Thread