+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I have discovered why I hate Celeste

I have discovered why I hate Celeste

Ever since I got this game I had an unexplained hatred towards Celeste. I just never liked the concept of a character that spends the entire game picking up power-ups... or so I thought.
    I recently got the Helio Corp Celeste Skin quest and decided "Ah what the heck. No time like the present." and was surprised that, after 257 hours of game-play playing high difficulty Freelancers like Su-Ren, Quark, Orion, Oz, and Kaigin I don't hate Celeste. After spending some time learning the game I discovered the utility in her Smoke Bomb and Proximo Charge.
    But there was still one ability that turned me off. The one ability that I then realized fostered all my distaste towards Celeste.

I hate Strong Arm's aiming mechanics.
    For those of you who don't know Celeste has the unique(?) ability to fire in two different directions. Okay, not that unique. The double shot variance is shared by the likes of Juno and Kaigin, but while they have the grace of about a 30 degree and 45 degree maximum shot angle variance respectively, Celeste can fire her shots with around a 115 degree shot angle variance, with goes up to 180 degrees with the default Strong Arm mod. Also unlike Juno who has a bit of width to her shots, Celeste has to be very precise with her aim, especially if she wants to pick up power-ups that are surrounded by enemies. In addition, unlike Kaigin's very easy-to-alter spray pattern with it's maximum 45 degrees of variance, Celeste's aiming sensitivity is insanely high, to the point that (especially with her 180 degree mod, which I again need to remind you is her default mod) moving the mouse even a few inches can spread your aim out massively.

I don't understand why you can't simply click twice to aim both Strong Arm attacks independently of each-other like the various "bomb" attacks (Gremolitions, Khita Ult... Celeste Smoke...). While this might be slightly more time consuming in the short term this would make Celeste much more accessible and less frightening to newer players overall.

Founder
    I agree it would definitely be easier if you could do two clicks, one for each attack line. Reminds me of Oz's ult, though that has three clicks. I'm currently level 6 with Celeste and I've found her Strong Arm attack takes some practice and getting used to. Does Strong Arm merit a change though? Personally I don't mind the way it is setup right now. Then again I don't mind your way either so I guess I am neutral.

I kind of agree with this general sentiment of changing to a two-click system. Maybe, have an option toggle in the menu for legacy aiming if people want to use it.

Celeste being one of my top 2 favorites (Asana being the other), I'd have to say 2 clicks would be a significant improvement. Perhaps even reduce the time required to lay out the attack. I often get the final seconds countdown while plotting her move + Attack + Trap and even botch the combo from time to time because I wasn't quick enough or had to reset according to teammate maneuvers.

Founder
    you read my mind good sir, Celeste would be much better with a 2 input strong arm. A player's skill should be determined by their strategies, not how good they are with broken aiming mechanics

Several freelancers have abilities which are really finicky to aim. But for most of them, only angular precision matters. If you need more precise control of the angle, you move the mouse further away from your freelancer. With Celeste, both the distance from the freelancer and the angle need precision. If you need a large spread, it is simply impossible to get good angular precision because the mouse is so close.

I have been playing with my steam controller since beta. It seems to give great control over targeting and with a few mins its easy to set the hot keys to any button on the controller. Its also way easier to game from my couch with a controller. I happen to like her aiming the way it is and and gives her some flavor.

It took me like a day to get used to and then it was easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoclone View Post
    I have been playing with my steam controller since beta. It seems to give great control over targeting and with a few mins its easy to set the hot keys to any button on the controller. Its also way easier to game from my couch with a controller. I happen to like her aiming the way it is and and gives her some flavor.
    You should check out the Corsair Lapdog. I always wanted to get a giant TV, build a mini-ITX gaming rig and play from my recliner, but I haven't had the money so far. The Lapdog is what I plan on using.

+ Reply to Thread