+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phaedra's Bug Spray

Question Phaedra's Putrid Spray

Hey I've been thinking that the damage procs on Phaedra's Putrid spray don't seem in line with the nerfs to abilities of other frontliners that can hit more than one character. Specifically those abilities, Asana's root and dash, Titus' dagger ( if i'm forgetting any please point them out) would only hit 2 characters IF you used that mod. Bug spray however could possibly hit the entire enemy team and proc on them all for the same damage. I understand there are differences in the ability (and character, i get it phaedra doe lots of aoe i don't have a problem with that) designs, sure titus' dagger is also a prep move but his teammates can trigger it. Asana's dash does its full damage that turn, which i suppose is the same with dagger if teammates proc it, while also having the benefit of being a dash. Phaedra has to proc the damage on a turn separate from when the ability is applied so it could be considered less bursty than the aforementioned nerfed abilities and requires a harder circumstance to pull off. But i still feel the ability is not on par. It has equivalent damage to all affected targets without the need to specifically mod it to do so. I guess at this point I've said all my points and wanted to post this for discussion purposes if not any real dev action taken. And because Muzzy told me to .

Phaedra's putrid swarm is a strong ability when timed well and can provide some surprising burst damage. In a vacuum I don't think there is a problem with the ability because a smart player will wait until it is used and then dash the next turn (similar logic applies to Titus dagger if no one can proc it). However this logic fails a bit when Phaedra chooses the "Bugs persist for an additional turn" mod.

This mod creates the need for 3 turns of shielding/heals or evasion in order to mitigate Phaedra's burst damage. Overall I think Putrid Swarm is a well balanced ability that requires proper timing to be effective and has some counterplay available. However, the additional turn of bugs mod makes it an unbalanced ability for the cost. I recommend removal of the additional turn of bugs mod for Putrid Swarm or at least an increase to 3 mod points.

i agree that mod in particular is troublesome but i disagree that the counterplay available would make it balanced for the reasons I've already mentioned. The abilities damage without mods isn't similar to similar abilities with mods. I only want to call attention to it i don't want to provide solutions as i feel that should be left to the devs, and more often than not the solutions we players provide don't seem authentic i guess, but the obvious would be to half the damage to subsequent targets hit beyond the first (with the first probably being the nearest) just like how the other abilities' mods were nerfed.
    p.s. thanks for reminding me of the correct ability name

It takes one weak to counter that. Grey, Suren, Aurora and now Kitha can land easy weakness. For the double turn, I can understand it's frustrating but the best thing to counter that is to not stay close to each other. If you're hit by bugs you would be hit also by a lot other abilities such as a simple rask auto attack. So I don't think bugs are op even though quite annoying.

The same counterplay can be applied to other abilities too though. Maybe i shouldn't be comparing them because by design Putrid spray is meant to apply to multiple targets while the dagger and dash are only meant to hit one target so their multi-target damage isn't similar, that i would concede is a fair argument. As it is i do see a comparison. I don't think also being able to be hit by abilities like rasks 1 is relevant, unless you're bringing up something like the difference of when those abilities damage is applied. i'm not comparing phaedra's 1 to rask's.

Like you said: Unlike Titus the bugs can only be triggered by Phaedra. Considering that she has one long-ranged attack in her dash it's very easy to avoid her for the 1 - 2 turns for the bugs to wear off.
    It's kinda like playing against Kaigin, only she doesn't have Shurikens and the Shadow Mark lasts for a much shorter duration. Just avoid Phaedra for a bit and you won't take the extra 20.

+ Reply to Thread