+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Concerned about Khita Design (x-posted from Reddit)

Concerned about Khita Design (x-posted from Reddit)

When I saw Khita, my first thought is that she took some "design inspirations" from Cassie, a character in Paladins. When you put them side by side, the similarities are pretty clear. The chest covering is, IMO, a dead giveaway, because it looked so weird when I first saw it on Cassie.

To be clear, the point of this post is not to criticize Trion. I'm not sure if this was intentional or not, but I know that things like this have gotten companies in trouble in the past. Just pointing it out in case changes needed to be made prior to release.

The metal lined breast plate is very similar. Everything else will come up on every single image if you search for "female archer".

Khita's chest "armor"looks to me to be inspired by real athletic wear. (I'd say it's more of a chest guard, something real archers do wear.) Cassie's is clearly just stretched fabric. The trim under the chest is the only "surprising similarity" to me.

Everything about Khita is way more believable, really. Khita's bow actually puts the bowstring in the right place and it looks light enough to hold in one hand. Cassie's clearly requires the same levitation field her chest does.

Khita's midriff looks like material to me, same as her inner thigh and shoulder. It is awfully wrinkle-free, but I'll accept that as a conceit of the art style. I really prefer the look of clothing to lingerie on a fighter.

Oh! I just noticed... Khita's left arm... metal? I presume that's her choice since whole-body restoration is a thing. Cybernetic arms make a lot of sense( for a traditional bow, anyway.)

Khita uses a bow.

Cassie uses a giant robotic space crab that spits out arrows.

There is a big difference.

The metal lined breast plate is very similar. Everything else will come up on every single image if you search for "female archer".
    Mm. Actually that would be my problem with it, if anything. Doesn't feel like she has much to distinguish herself. A bit of a boring look, really.

*shrug*

"Oh no a girl with a bow who dresses in green? COPY! COPY! COPY!"

Paladins has already taken half its characters from Overwatch, so I don't think Trion need worry much morally about borrowing their designs.

That list basically describes half the freelancers in the game, minus the bow part. Also, Khita doesn't have an exposed midriff. Paladins is a shameless Overwatch clone anyway. If you want to accuse someone of stealing go accuse them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujo View Post
    Khita's chest "armor"looks to me to be inspired by real athletic wear. (I'd say it's more of a chest guard, something real archers do wear.)
    I agree. I don't have any, but as an archer in real life I can imagine how much it would hurt getting whacked in the boob with the string of a 70 lb draw weight compound bow. Archer boob armor is indeed a real thing. It's usually only on one side though.

Girl wielding a bow dresses in green? Uses long boots and bracers? AND A BELT BUCKLE?? Damn, she is copying 90% of existing archer characters in any series ever lol. Especially all the elven ones, they like green!

Khita's design definitely isnt original, but I wouldn't call it copying either. Just the usual archer design, in a futuristic setting. Nothing to wow about, nothing to cry about.

Legolas and Robin Hood are obviously the same thing.
    • Male
    • Archer
    • Green costume
    • Cape
    • Bracers.
    • Covered midriff
    • Belt with buckle
    • BFF with huge beard

Am I doing it right?

+ Reply to Thread