Thread: Wildfire - A Flame-based lancer

Wildfire - A Flame-based lancer

Name : Ember Wilde
    Nickname : Wildfire
    Health: somewhere between 160 and 200
    Difficulty: High.

Role: Frontliner

Description:
    Wildfire differs greatly from typical lancers as her arsenal depends heavily on constant damage over time, rather than high-damage burst attacks. She also relies on fighting multiple enemies I can easily see the her siding with the hyperbotics faction, due to the highly mechanical nature of her weaponry. She will be able to stack DOT and debuff effects, along with powerful area denial capabilities.

Primary (1) (Blast): "Flamethrower"
    Short-range (2 squares) cone (90 degree angle)
    Wildfire sweeps her flamethrower over the target area. 6 direct damage, with 6 damage occurring at the end of the next 2 resolution phases. Ignores cover.
    Gains 3 energy for each enemy hit.

2 (Blast): "Thermite Line" (cooldown: 4)
    Line
    Wildfire sends forth a burning line of thermite with about the same range as Nix's laser trap. 5 damage upon contact, with 6 damage per turn for 2 turns afterwards. The trap itself lasts until the end of the next resolution phase, and hits any enemies both in it's path, or that cross over it. . The trap truly shines with it's mods.
    Gains 6 energy with each enemy hit.

3 (Passive): "Inferno"
    If an enemy already suffering fire DOT is damaged by any of Wildfire's attacks, the effect stacks duration of the effect is refreshed.

4 (Dash): "Flame charge" (cooldown: 2)
    AOE line (1-5 squares)
    Charges forward, flamethrower blasting behind to propel Wildfire forward, dealing 6 damage to enemies hit by the charge and setting them on fire for 6 points. At the end of the dash, Wildfire then sweeps her flamethrower in a 90 degree arc(2 square range) in front of her to bring herself to a stop, setting anyone caught within on fire for 6 points of damage per turn for two turns. Enemies cannot be hit by both parts of the dash.
    Gain 5 energy for each enemy hit.

Ult (Prep): "Fuel Trap"
    Lays a trap in the form of a punctured fuel can leaking combustible liquid. The trap is originally a 3x3 square, and can be placed up to 5 squares away from Wildfire
    The liquid spreads at a rate of one square per turn, to a max of a 5x5 square. The trap de-spawns after 3 resolution phases. It is is invisible to enemies until activated, via being hit with any of Wildfire's other abilities. Deals 10 damage every turn to any enemies standing on top, while setting them on fire for 10 damage every turn for two turns. The trap will burn out at the end of the next resolution phase (or possibly after two resolution phases, still deciding). The trap itself can be deployed over walls, but the trap's spread is blocked by walls.

Primary Mods:
    "Narrow Nozzle"- 2 - Decreases width of the cone to 30 degrees but doubles the range.
    "Ashes to Ashes" -3 - Hitting an enemy with 'Flamethrower' reduces the cooldown of 'Thermite Line' by 1
    "Turn up the Heat"- 1 - description gain 2 more energy for each enemy hit.

2 Mods:
    "Sear"- 2 - Targets taking DOT from Thermite cannot be healed (Heal-block effect expires at the end of the next resolution phase)
    "Choking smoke "- 2 - Targets damaged by thermite are weakened and scrambled until the end of the next resolution phase.
    "Watch Your Step"- 3 - Targets that cross or are hit by the thermite line are rooted for the turn

3 mods:
    "Bright Flames" - 2 - Enemies on fire are also revealed.
    "Thermal Transfer" - 3 - allies hit by Wildfire's attacks gain 'energized' and 'haste'
    "Thermal Generator" - 1 - each enemy that takes dot damage adds 2 energy

4 Mods:
    "Full Burn"- 1 - Increases range of dash by 2
    "Heat Sinks"- 2 - If damaged the turn you used dash, cooldown is reduced to 1 at the end of the resolution phase.
    "[UNNAMED]"- 3 - allows a player to rotate the 90 degree arc at the end of her dash freely.

Ult Mods:
    "Fast-burn solution"- 2 - Increases initial damage at the cost of DOT (20 damage per turn to those directly on top, but DOT is dropped to 5 per turn)
    "On Hot Coals"- 2 - Targets within the burning area are slowed.
    "Flicker"- 3 - Makes deployment of the trap a free action, but does not spread beyond 3x3, and only lasts a single turn once ignited. Can be ignited the turn it is used.

Lore
    __________________________________________________ _____________________________________
    I was thinking that Wildfire originated from the wastes and made her way into Atlas. There is the possibility of her knowing, or knowing of, Juno, Titus, and Khita, with varying levels of friendship or hostility towards them.

Personality wise, She's very similar to the fire she uses. Bright, passionate, and just a little bit too fierce.
    Physically, I visualize her as someone with an average, wiry frame, with a mechanical gauntlet/flamethrower on her left arm. Tan skin and dark brown/black hair. (I'll work on making various clothing styles and armor styles.)

This is basically an incredibly rough sketch to get the idea out there ans see what people think. Every single part is open to suggestions, in fact.
    If this is something people seem to like i'll put more work into this and work on the rest of the Lore connections, as well as drawing out the character.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __________
    Damage Chart
    I realized the damage may be a little confusing to understand, so here's my attempt at explaining what I visualized.
    -Enemy is hit by flamethrower: 6 on hit + 6 DOT next turn +6 DOT next turn
    -Enemy is hit by Thermite line: 5 on hit +6 DOT this turn + 12 DOT next turn + 12 DOT next turn (passive adds damage + refreshes the duration of both (6+6=12) for 2 turns)
    -Enemy is hit by Flame Charge: 6 on hit + 12 DOT this turn + 18 next turn + 18 next turn ( now 3 instances of DOT (6+6+6=18), and refreshes effect for 2 more turns)
    -Enemy is not hit by Wildfire this turn: 18 damage this turn + 18 next turn
    -Enemy is not hit by Wildfire this turn: 18 damage this turn. (DOT effect ends if not hit by wildfire this turn and must be renewed)
    (71 damage total at this point)
    -Enemy is hit by Flame Charge: 6 on hit + 6 next turn + 6 next turn

DOT effect is considered Indirect damage. DOT damage ends, and cannot be afflicted or stacked if the target comes under the protection of a shield. Once the shield expires, however, DOT damage is able to damage and stack as normal. If a shield is broken the turn Wildfire attacks (shield depleted, allowing for health damage) DOT will still not damage or stack.

Though her damage is less than most, her abilities are meant to hit multiple targets, and potentially make up the damage difference through multi-target hits.

EDITS
    EDIT 11-25-16

For clarification, I planned for DOT to stack damage.
    MAJOR EDIT 11-27-16
    Re-made Wildfire into a frontliner, and changed her abilities and mods to match.
    Added energy gains to abilities.
    Added possible health and difficulty ratings.
    Added description of personality, possible friends and rivals.
    MAJOR EDIT 7-26-17

Changed some damage numbers, some mods and mod names, personality, added another possible backstory. Changed passive's damage boost.
    MAJOR EDIT 8-26-17

Massive changes across all abilities. Changed passive damage boost. Added 'Name' and 'Nickname'. Added a Damage chart to explain her damage mechanics. Changed personality.
    MAJOR EDIT 9-8-17

Removed passive damage buff, and edited damage chart to match. minor change to passive mods, changed cooldown of dash

Edited
    11-25-16

Major edit
    11-27-16

Edited
    11-27-16

I can tell you put a lot of thought into it! Seems like a pretty clean concept, Idk about balance issues but she seems ok I think. Over all very nice to read good job!

Quote Originally Posted by sunfiresamurai View Post
    I can tell you put a lot of thought into it! Seems like a pretty clean concept, Idk about balance issues but she seems ok I think. Over all very nice to read good job!
    Thank you! As for balance issues, I see her as mostly balanced already. In order to deal reasonable amounts of damage she has to stay very close to her target. Any attempt to keep close will likely make her a very, very easy target as most every other lancer has far more range than her, Meaning she requires either very good planning to take advantage of an enemy far from allies without an easy means of escape, or a large amount of teamwork, with Allies pulling, rooting, slowing, or throwing enemies into her attack area so she can truly begin to rack up damage over multiple turns.

Unfortunately I dont see her very popular in solo ques, where teamwork tends to be in very short supply... however, for pre-made groups and teams I can see her being very, very popular.

If any change would be needed to balance her it would likely be an adjustment of her damage numbers, though I can see her damage output as hard to calculate due to the fact that all her attacks rely on damage being dealt and stacked over multiple turns.

Founder
    Hello IridescentIris04 , I have read many ideas for a pyromancer kind of freelancer and your's is one of the top tier amoung the fan creations (not meaning others are bad, just separating great from the good). It is true that a wielder of fire should focus on damage over time (DOT) rather than an instant burst of heavy damage, but the issue with this is that it allows the enemy team to counter act your damage with planning against your DOT.

My only concern is the 'Sear' mod for "Thermite line", a complete block for heals I am a on the fence about this because it does really well combined with the rest of Wildfire's kit if planned right but can put a real dent in the enemy team, although the enemy team does (or should have) shield abilities which I am assuming is not affected by the buff of "Thermite line"?

Otherwise this is a thoroughly thought through concept and deserves much more notice than it is receiving, keep up the great work and hope to see more from you. And is her name actually 'Wildire' or is it her nickname? Just doesn't feel right to do so. Remember to stay active.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkShield View Post
    Hello IridescentIris04 , I have read many ideas for a pyromancer kind of freelancer and your's is one of the top tier amoung the fan creations (not meaning others are bad, just separating great from the good). It is true that a wielder of fire should focus on damage over time (DOT) rather than an instant burst of heavy damage, but the issue with this is that it allows the enemy team to counter act your damage with planning against your DOT.

My only concern is the 'Sear' mod for "Thermite line", a complete block for heals I am a on the fence about this because it does really well combined with the rest of Wildfire's kit if planned right but can put a real dent in the enemy team, although the enemy team does (or should have) shield abilities which I am assuming is not affected by the buff of "Thermite line"?

Otherwise this is a thoroughly thought through concept and deserves much more notice than it is receiving, keep up the great work and hope to see more from you. And is her name actually 'Wildire' or is it her nickname? Just doesn't feel right to do so. Remember to stay active.
    Hi! Thank you very much for saying so! Her nickname is 'Wildfire', for obvious reasons. I'm still thinking of actual names, personality, and backstory.

I actually meant for that to be her biggest nerf. She has a wide radius for attack, yes, but a short range. which means highly mobile, non-predictable dash characters are significantly harder to hit for her. But the most interesting part of her is that she absolutely must stay close to her enemies in order to deal any useful amount of damage. This makes her shine against certain characters, and really rack up the damage, while other require much more strategic play, though this is helped somewhat by a high health pool and a low-cooldown dash. As for her support counter, She's meant to excel against Healing supports like Quark, and Aurora, but you're absolutely correct in saying that shields would circumvent her healing block and block most, if not all of her DOT damage for that turn. I'm also debating on whether or not shields should block her passive as well.
    But in general, she will be one of those high skill-capped lancers that will be devastating in the right hands, or completely useless.

Also, while we're on the subject of supports in relation to her, Wildfire will actually need a support of her own. You'll notice she has no damage-reducing abilities or self-heal/shield, aside from her Thermite Line mod. If she wants to be able to stay in a position that maximizes her efficiency, she'll need to position carefully, and have a healer with her. I actually only just realized this myself so ill need to think on this, to see if it makes her a little too difficult to play.

Major Update!

8-26-17

Update!

9-8-17

+ Reply to Thread