+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quark hints

Quark hints

Hello,

I'm trying to learn this bugger.
    I would welcome hints about positioning and playstyle.

I have been somewhat succesfull (in solo pvp... so not actually a good environment for tricky things but it's all i have)
    - As babysitter, might upgrade in radiate (rapid mutation), support a non very mobile firepower (zuki, juno or gremo mostly), attack link on tank or "chasers" so they break off "soon".

- As hybrid support / attacker with Atomic power on radiate and trying to keep both links active most of the time but positioning in this case is a great pain.

Some games i felt like i was flying around the map and picking victims with easy and some games are a positioning nightmare, can't yet decipher what makes the diference.

Hints about positioning, other successful builds?

Thank you!

Hi Effy,

First, I love Quark, but I'm not sure I can say I master it. In PvP, I do pretty well 90% of the time. In ranked, level is far higher, so it's harder.

So, in terms of positioning, one great asset of Quark is that he has a dash available, but it's a complicated one to use, so be careful as you can sometimes be unable to jump to safety or just the opponents will deduce your arrival location. As such, he can position himself in dangerous situations and get the hell out of there.
    In my opinion, the big difference between the good and the bad games is on that point. During good games, you dash at the good moment, so despite attracting firepower, you evade it. On bad games, you are either too far away from the battlefield and don't take any damage, but you're not helping much, or you are too predictable in your dashes, or you attract attention while your dash is on cooldown, or just you have nowhere to dash.

The babysitter positioning is in my opinion the simplest one to adopt. But the firepower you are helping are not 'the good ones'. Zuki and especially Gremo are in general very far away from the front, and as such you won't be able to help through damage (and even healing as they will quickly be full). To properly play Quark, you must have both bonds up as much as possible. I don't mean at the beginning of the turn, but during the turn (it's hard to predict enemy movements, but it's easy to stay not so far away from them to be able to recreate the bond every turn). So, choose someone who's close to the front (you can choose a frontliner), and ideally not very mobile, and an enemy who doesn't dash much (Rampart is an excellent victim to Quark) then put yourself into cover and wait for the damage count to grow.

About your mods, I can tell you what I'm using, but I'm not sure there is any best combination out there.
    Leeching ray and Sharing is Caring. In my opinion, you need at least one, maybe 2 if you find yourself dying too much. This is your only source of healing, and it heals a lot (5 hp per turn means 100 hps at the end of the game, it's huge). And anyway, a dead Quark doesn't help anyone.
    Atomic freedom and Rushing radiate. Once again, you need one in my opinion. Having your full sprint is just hyper powerful. It allows you to get powerups and go back without losing your bonds. It allows you to 1v1 enemy frontliners who love to follow you and will end up at 4 squares from you, so still in your range. It allows you to bluff enemy predictions when you get invisible because they think you are in the square you entered the camouflaged area when you are 4 squares away. It allows you for a lot of positioning freedom, because you need to move a lot to survive. Moving is strength, and from the guide I've read, some top players consider sprint as a very interesting move to shuffle enemy understanding of your positioning, so, it's even better when it's free.

Also, radiate's first use is to build your ultimate. In terms of efficiency, it's subpar (unless you have 2 bonds and Atomic power, but it's a very special case, and even in that case, we are speaking of 20 damage for an action, it's still subpar). So, use it when you can, but don't be too much about it.
    A last point, if you feel that your bonded enemy will dash, don't radiate. Just try to attach your bond to another enemy. That way, you know that if only one of them dashes, you will do your damage (22 damage for sure is better than 10 potential damage radiates give you, 20 with Atomic power).

So, in the end, my build is:
    Anti-Matter: as I have hard time keeping this bond with the enemy, it is very often effective. It really helps damage output in 'bad cases'.
    Sharing is caring: as this is easy to keep the healing bond nearly all the fight, it gives me a neat source of healing.
    Rushing radiate: so I can sprint very easily while still doing something (building my ultimate in fact). And if I have the 2 bonds up, positioning becomes a mess, so 8 squares of movement is always better than 4.
    Orbit: Because I don't like the other ones. And it gives me a bit more freedom on landing.
    Luminosity: Because it's simple. Power surge is good, too, but like you, I play solo so I can't be sure my allies will send their ultimates at the same moment I do mine.

Yes, I don't use all my points. Which is not an issue, in my opinion, some mods are underrated.

And remember 2 things, one bad and one good:
    If you are bonded to an enemy, he knows where you are (roughly). So no use of being invisible or whatsoever.
    If you are bonded to an enemy, you know where he is. It's extremely powerful to know where the nearly dead guy dashes. So, if you feel that an enemy is close to death and will dash next turn, just put yourself close to him.
    Ho, and one last thing: Never follow anyone. Always choose carefully your position. The only cases I will follow someone is if I have a bond with Nyx. In any other case, put yourself properly in cover, or even behind a wall. It's better to lose a bond than to end up focused by the whole enemy team.

Damn, I really can't stop writing as soon as I start

I don't play Quarck tbh because i think he's one of the hardest supports to play since he mostly relies on positioning to be effective.

From what i can tell the best way to play him is to get 2 bonds active and stay in range of both so you can do dmg and heal but still be in a relatively safe position.
    The biggest problem i have with him is figuring out where teammates are going so you're still in range to heal them.
    People setting actions or switching at the last second is a nightmare for support.

You could just set follow moves but i don't recommend it because it will leave you out of cover or you will get grouped up and get hit by aoe alot more.
    If you're not sure where an ally is going and you want to make sure you are still in range to heal just go to the spot where that person currently is and hope that they move or just stay where you are and let them figure it out.
    As long as they are not sprinting you should still be in range.

For support, Aurora and Fish are the easiest to play, especially if you're playing with randoms because they have the mods on bubble and heal that lets you target through walls.
    Quarck also has a through walls mod on his atomic bond but since his range is not as far and you will need to stay relatively close to whoever you're healing it's probably not the best choice imo.

I would go for a regen build for extra sustain because you will end up in difficult situations while chasing after your teammates.
    Alot of people advise the rapid mutation mod on radiate which buffs might but if you ask me you might aswell tether someone yourself and do dmg so you can force them to get away from you instead of giving your ally 25% extra dmg.

I would recommend using voice chat on Quarck, Orion, and Su-Ren because they heavily rely on decent positioning.

But like i said i don't really play Quarck all that much so i might just be clueless on how to play him.
    Prepare to be impressed

What you say is far from clueless Gaius.
    When I first played Quark after having played Helio a lot, my feeling was: How the hell is that possible to play this thing outside an organized team??!!??
    Now, I out heal everyone but Aurora.

Here are the few tricks I use to know who to bond with:
    I say hello at the beginning of the game. Whoever does not answer either does not understand english or is not communicative at all. In general, these people care less about allies.
    I look at the very first moves of the game. The guy who uses his whole movement to get in the middle of the map is in general not reliable. The guy who plays very late even during overtime is not reliable. The guy who plays quickly and safe without playing in backstage tend to have my bond. The most important turn is the second. In general, I use overtime to see what my allies do, and then choose my bonded ally, and it happened to me to keep it 19 turns after that.

Sometimes, I made mistakes, bonding a legitimate ally just to see him sprinting during overtime (yes, it happens). As I have more information about my teammates at that stage, I can choose another after that.
    Playing Quark in solo is a lot about psychology

I played him a lot the last few days (mostly in random teams without verbal communication) and most time i even outheal enemy Aurora's. I had matches where i healed over 700 life, in rare cases i was even able to break the 800 mark. That idea of SuperBidi to check people how they respond/play is really a good one, have to try that out. I had some annyoing matches where i wasn't able to hold my bond because movement was set in the last second and i wasn't able to follow (i nearly never use follow moves with Quark, and if, then mostly on enemies).
    I tend to stick with one teammate too, but it's not always manageable because of knockbacks/roots/slows.
    I make my decision to whom i bound (except for emergencies of course) my healing, mostly on that Freelancers abilities/playstyle. I never bound to champions who try to avoid focus (like Grey, Lockwood and Celeste) stay far behind (like Zuki), get invisible (like Nix and Pup) or jump around a lot (like Kaigin).

I prefer a build with self-healing/shields and mobility. Therefore iam not able to do a lot of damage, but if you are lucky, you can bound someone like Nix or Celeste and the damage you can deal to them, if you manage to keep it up for 2 or 3 rounds, is devastating.

The great thing about quark is in my opionion, that you can damage/heal when bound to target(s) even while using catalysts.

I think a good technique for winning with Quark is positioning. As he is a support character, his main characteristic is to help other players. If positioned at the center of your team's formation, it manages to aid all players and does not become the target of battles. If it becomes the focus of combat, the best option is to use a turn only to reposition itself. Since its function is to be supportive, to be alive and not to be the focus of combat is essential.

Yours Dear,
    Piulres

Lightbulb Quark Is the Best

Some crucial tips for quark

Know who to tether to from the start
    I rarely tether to frontliners in the beginning because they usually run in out in to the open with no safe places, or dash too far breaking the tether
    Same goes for stealth champs
    But, be sure to switch to any ally in need. Just don't waste a turn and tether to an ally that is about to die, you only heal 12 on connection.

Try out all his mods
    You should have 2 or 3 builds ready depending on what characters your playing with.
    The extra mobility mod on his radiate can be game changing in PvP when communication isn't that great as you can always position well (don't be afraid to not take any actions and sprint to catch up with an ally that's moving too far)
    Only character in the game that can give a teammate might every turn

Stay behind walls
    Once you have tethers connected always stay behind walls out of range, and out of sight of enemies. Once you have a tether there is no need for a line of sight on an ally or enemy.

The team always comes first
    Sure it's nice to have a tether on an enemy but the team always comes first. I really only tether to enemies when they're overextending on me, or out of position.
    Not to mention tethers on foes usually don't last many turns, at least on players that understand how quark works.
    You rely on your ally's movements. Always wait until they have locked in their actions so you can pick the best spot to move to. However, this can be very frustrating with players that are extremely slow to lock in

I used to think quark was only useful in coordinated teams but that's not the case. I only thing I ask of whoever that I am connected to that they lock in their movements quickly and games always go well.

Quote Originally Posted by Effy View Post
    Hello,

I'm trying to learn this bugger.
    I would welcome hints about positioning and playstyle.

I have been somewhat succesfull (in solo pvp... so not actually a good environment for tricky things but it's all i have)
    - As babysitter, might upgrade in radiate (rapid mutation), support a non very mobile firepower (zuki, juno or gremo mostly), attack link on tank or "chasers" so they break off "soon".

- As hybrid support / attacker with Atomic power on radiate and trying to keep both links active most of the time but positioning in this case is a great pain.

Some games i felt like i was flying around the map and picking victims with easy and some games are a positioning nightmare, can't yet decipher what makes the diference.

Hints about positioning, other successful builds?

Thank you!
    The only Quark advise anyone needs is this.

Step 1: Only play with a team in voice chat.
    Step 2: Get everyone to put in their movement as quickly as possible.
    Step 3: Use both of the mods that heal you every turn you have a tether attached.
    Step 4: Win every game.

He's on a short list of freelancers I refuse to play outside a premade with voice chat. But in that situation he's the best support in the game in my opinion.

Infuriating

I think Quark has the potential to be the most annoying supports for both the enemy team and your team. Often when I'm playing him people will constantly run away from me and then complain that the freelancer doesn't do anything for heals. Whereas the people who consistently stay with me and allow me to move around with ease and keep my Gamma Ray up allow Quark to just be one of those supports that's more of a threat than a DPS. For this reason I suggest you never solo que with him. He's just that support that needs people competent enough to understand that you need to be close for him to be effective. You can try solo queuing and try to tell your team that they should never run away from you but in the end it's hardly ever worth it. Play him with friends you will get your value out of him playing that way.

+ Reply to Thread