+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Atlas Reactor Team post in this thread.   Thread: How about a surrender option?

I think I understand both arguments. It is true that sometimes you have matches where it really seems hopeless and the match ends exactly like that. But I had lots of matches where we changed the match somehow miraculously and won except everyones excpection in my team.

I played LOL too, but ARAM only. I had matches where everyone wanted to give up except me but it was too early for a vote and we won anyway. I had it that often that I NEVER voted to give up. But when it is democratic and the votes are against you, it's really frustrating, because you know you could have won it.

In AR the matches are very short and I think it's like this: When I play ranked, I would never give up, because I want to win to get the ranked points. It's not that it's like a box fight where my physical health is in danger when I continue the fight.

And PvP is more of a learning experience. Why should I give up a match where I can get some more experience? I think there is always something to learn, even when it's an annoying game and the experience I can get is very little. But maybe any of my teammates will learn something, especially when he is bad in my opinion, then he has the possibility to learn a lot from such a match.
    Everyone can have a bad match. For example, I played a ranked as Zuki and sucked that hard that I was flamed by another player. Those who played more matches with me as Zuki know that iam at least an average player, but not a bad one. **** happens, and maybe I learned more about playing Zuki in that devastating match then the 20 matches before I played better. It's an experience, nothing more nothing less.

To those statistics, they don't always tell the truth about a match. I had matches who one bad/unlucky move in a totally balanced match startet a chain of events that leaded to the destruction of a whole team. The statistics look horrible, but the match was interesting. But to tell the truth, it can be the other way around either.

I think how someone takes those matches who seem to suck, is more of a general mind concept. Like the glass of water that can be seen as half full or half empty.

I for myself had to much **** in my life to want a half empty glass of water, I always prefer the half full one.

About that shift-tabbing the match, I have to say, even I understand those arguments, I don't understand that. Ok, it's just a game, but the whole life can be seen as a game. People meet (even when it's just virtually) and share their life time to do something they enjoy. Someone could argue that such "unlucky" matches aren't enjoyable, but in the first place one who could argue like that enjoyed it too, otherwise he wouldn't do it repeatedly. I think in such a shared meeting it is a sign of respect to take everyone seriously and appreciate the time and effort he invests to give us all a good time. By doing something else in such a circle, I think someone who do so, isn't taking others seriously and shows signs of disrespect.

I don't want to judge, I just say what I feel about it, like all in this forum say what they feel/think. And even when we disagree in some opinions, I think it is wise to switch position for a moment and brighten our horizons.

Said all this, my personal opinion is that there shouldn't be a democratic decision making to end matches earlier. For me it is democratic decision making enough when I click the "play" button and by that decided to spend 20 minutes of my life with others playing this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    So you saying that based on... me, firepower character without any escapes not only did more damage then half of the team, but also tanked more damage then anyone in the team, while 2 tanks with dashes (and higher survivalability among all lancers) managed to both take less damage then me, and die 2 times in the process? So i did not moved with them, just hid in the corner, and took some damage from the air, and then deal some damage to the air?
    Not sure if you'll understand this, but there's a difference between "not moving forward AT ALL" and "not moving forware EFFECTIVELY". Drawing fire at the wrong times, being forced to stay out of position to support teammates, and not consistently landing useful damage on targets the rest of your team is trying to hit. Letting yourself get hit when there's no plausible attacks available on your allies and you're not giving them any help by doing so, and being forced to avoid fire as a result when it would have actually benefitted the team.

You'll also notice I didn't say that IS what happened, just that it looks at least as plausible an explanation of the situation, if not moreso.

Oh, that is why i almost always participate in every kill team does or even making more then the rest, while also doing more damage then team. You must have some real problem with understanding the stats...
    Or understanding how this game works. Based on your comments i am not sure if you are just troll, or you really that bad in this game, but in any case i see nothing more to discuss with you, because you either do not understand, or pretend to be a noob. Anyway only thing that matters here - is the developer's opinion, and i am sure that at least they are aware how game works, so i placed my arguments mostly for them.
    I can quite honestly say I'm better at researching, experimenting with an understanding game mechanics than I am at putting that knowledge into action in a game. I'm not the best player, but I'm not too bad. One of the big things that's relevant here is that I'm really good working with numbers, and YOU'RE the one misrepresenting statistics as if they show enough to judge things from. I came into this with the intention of deliberately twisting your numbers, openly saying that was what I was doing, and exaggerating how bad it looked. After actually reading through what you were showing, I realised I didn't even NEED to do that. Most of the figures you're showing (I like how you only tried to argue against 2 points out of 6 multi-element debunkings of your comments, btw) don't actually provide sufficient information to clarify what went on.

You could have the highest damage with a character using really good damaging attacks while only landing attacks that were mitigated almost entirely by shields, or were healed out before they had any real impact because you picked bad targets, then landing solid hits only when you could already see your teammates had finished the target, and still attacked them to get the deathblow credit as well. The numbers the game provides don't distinguish between that and effective plays that help the team, and deliberately stat-padding (which yes, I HAVE seen people doing) or playing poorly in a way that comes out looking like it, can give you higher numbers without actually making you as useful to the team as those numbers can be made to imply.

Founder
    I would say 3 out of 4 people saying surrender should end the game. Nothing worse than having teammates who don't even care to win a match. I wouldn't want to force them to continue when they have already given up. It is gg at that point IMO.

This should be aloud on regular PVP and NOT RANKED.

Hi guys!

This thread has taken a turn in the wrong direction. Please remember when making posts in the forum to remain on subject and add to the discussion. Thanks!

A little anecdote for the argument here.

I had a game last night where three of my team (including me) were killed on turn 6. We were down 3-0, and one of my teammates even said somethign along the lines of, "GG, it's over." But we all continued to play as though we could win and - surprise! - we DID win, 5-4 on turn 19. If Surrender were allowed, this would have been a loss. But by actually regrouping and working for the goal, we won despite an early setback.

Surrender, as I said before, sets a bad mindset, one that I do not want to see in the game.

6.   Click here to go to the next Atlas Reactor Team post in this thread.   #26
    Community Manager
    Someone pointed out the lack of snowballing in this game. Thank you for that. It's actually the best argument against a surrender option imo.

You do not level up during the game, thus no power increase.
    You do not get new items during the game - again, no power increase.

If you pick up might, you've earned the power increase, but it can be countered with cover and weak and by keeping people out of position, or being in a good position yourself.

This game is so focused on positioning. If you don't turn the game around there are probably 2 reasons
    1) Not closing out a kill (most likely due to 2)
    2) Poor positioning.

As a player, a surrender option sounds like a terrible idea in a game that gives you every opportunity to turn it around. I've seen plenty of games that go 0-4 to 5-4. Oddly enough, I noticed a trend early on that the first team to die often comes back and wins - This isn't always the case, but the flow of the game, and timing of ults can make for expected swings, unless countered by superior positioning.

As a community manager, I'll be sure to put this in my report this week and submit it to the devs for them to chew on.

I advise against a surrender option as well.

Losing is part of the game. Playing until the end of match shows that you not only respect your fellow teammates, but your opponents as well. It's just good sportsmanship.

only surrender option i can agree on is if a player leaves for matter of turns cause like stated earlier bots not great and very bad off in early game or intense mid games . cause surrender for other reasons gives ppl o much option to quit and even now ppl who rage quit show u how how quick tempered they cause they need a penalty

Quote Originally Posted by Ergo View Post
    interesting thread actually because you make me realise what kind of people always defend the concede options: lonely people that "just alt-tab and do something else before the game is finished" whenever whatever goes wrong. Interesting but sad at the same time.
    ^Whatever he said...^

My comment was removed from this thread because it appears i'm feeding trolls...
    I'll wear my infraction points like a badge of honor...
    Prepare to be impressed

Founder
    Please no. you can't predict whether or not a game is over unless you're on the very last turn. personally, i've been on teams that have come back from and early 4 deaths, and won. I wouldn't enjoy being forced to lose a match because somebody with terrible prediction skills thinks the match is over before it is. if they want, they can just leave the game, and that's that. it's their problem, not the problem of the other 7 players in the match.

+ Reply to Thread