+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

  Click here to go to the first Atlas Reactor Team post in this thread.   Thread: How about a surrender option?

  1. #1

    How about a surrender option?

    Pretty often i seeing the situations when my team just cannot win - like all 4 of us were destroyed without even doing decent damage to any of the enemies (or they healed all of it), but the last guy isn't realizing that he just wasting everyone's time, and using escapes, etc to prolong fight when outcome is decided. Or i am just having a dc in team, and it's hardly possible to win with bot because they pretty often not using covers, shields, escapes, just mindlessly shooting closest target...
    I feel like it would be so much better if there would be a vote, and if 3 of 4 members would vote positivly - they will have instant defeat, no more wasting time on long turns of the lost game.

  2. #2
    A big NO!

    So, if there is a player thinking that the game is over (and there are always a lot, especially the ones having made a bad game) they will ask for a vote, you'll have endless discussions and ranting while the game should go on.
    And for the enemy team? Let's say they make a good move in the beginning, and the opposing team surrenders without trying to reverse the score. GG? clearly not.

    It's not like if the game was lasting for hours. In general, the things are pretty clear a few turns before the end. So you can wait 5 minutes at most to give a proper end to the match.

    I've never seen a sport with a surrender button. Sorry, there is 2-0 after 30 minutes, we gonna surrender. GG, thanks for the spectators, and back home.

    And when you say it happens pretty often, it happened to me only once to have a game where clearly, I would have prefer not to play it. For most of the other games, it was quite close, or at least there was good gameplay happening.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    So Cal
    Posts
    95
    I vote no. I've seen too many Ranked games in Rocket League where my opponents score an early, lucky goal, and one of my team members immediately asks to surrender. Even when it doesn't pass (which it never does), you've now got one player who is very likely going to be giving a half-assed performance or none at all, even when/if they were good before.

    Play it out. I've gone from 0-2 to 5-2 in Atlas Reactor, with my team rallying after a few early dumb moves. It's only 20 minutes. Trying to max the number of games played isn't any form of optimal strategy.

  4. #4
    I am not talking about ranked, i don't really care what happens there. But if i have 3-0 at turn 6, enemy team are full, and my team has bot because one of us disconnected or decided that leaving will be faster then waiting for the end, i want to surrender. And if i see same situation in enemy team, where they just cannot win by any means - no escapes, all catas wasted, all next turns are 100% predictable - i don't want to keep playing game where i already won, i want to move to the next one.

    Fox example, Magic Duels became such a better game after they added surrender function - and before you had to play every hopeless match to the end, that forced people to just leave and we fought bots all the way... Pretty same thing happens to reactor - yes, they getting penalized with exp not being awarded next fight, but even that seems better then playing hopeless game.

    Also, i offer surrender only at 3\4 votes. If ALL players expect you will want that - staying in game just because you don't have the expirience to realize certain failure and wasting time of the 7 people will be really selfish. And if at least one team member expect you will want to keep going - there will be no surrender. How that isn't fair?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Orc Land, Middle Earth
    Posts
    122
    I play unranked exclusively.

    I've had a few matches where one team got a quick 3 kills early (turn 5 - 7). In my experience, these matches ALMOST always end up being very close. This is including 2 matches like it where players disconnected and had to be filled with a bot. I've had one where my team was down 1-4, and in a single turn, we tied the game up, then won it in the following turn. I've had another match where MY team took an early lead wiping the whole opposing team and going 4-0 by turn 7 before losing 4-5 when the enemy team all came back and coordinated their freshly-unlocked ultimates even better than we had done with ours.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    I am not talking about ranked, i don't really care what happens there. But if i have 3-0 at turn 6, enemy team are full, and my team has bot because one of us disconnected or decided that leaving will be faster then waiting for the end, i want to surrender.
    How many games like that? 1%, maybe 2%, clearly not 5%. We are speaking of very few games. Actually, only one in my case, so it's closer to 1% for me. If I also count the games I've won, I've seen only one 5-0, and only one game that was just a mono directional bashing (it lasted for 9 turns, so, once again, the enemy team didn't had the time to feel it).
    The issue is that some people have low morale and surrender for nothing.
    Also, you don't need 3-4 votes, but 7-8 votes (the enemy team is also playing the game). And I'm pretty sure the enemy team will never vote for yes.

    Like Nekojin is saying, the main issue with surrender is that it creates negative attitude inside a team. It reduces the pleasure of many games to surrender just a very few of them.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    87
    No surrender options please, the most memorable experiences i've had in this game was when we made a complete comeback after the situation was hopeless.
    I've quit playing every game that had an option like this because it always adds more drama and there will always be people who are just going be a pain in the *** when they don't get their way since i'm always voting no.
    So i'd rather these people don't get an option to surrender at all.
    Prepare to be impressed

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperBidi View Post
    How many games like that? 1%, maybe 2%, clearly not 5%. We are speaking of very few games. Actually, only one in my case, so it's closer to 1% for me. If I also count the games I've won, I've seen only one 5-0, and only one game that was just a mono directional bashing (it lasted for 9 turns, so, once again, the enemy team didn't had the time to feel it).
    The issue is that some people have low morale and surrender for nothing.
    Also, you don't need 3-4 votes, but 7-8 votes (the enemy team is also playing the game). And I'm pretty sure the enemy team will never vote for yes.

    Like Nekojin is saying, the main issue with surrender is that it creates negative attitude inside a team. It reduces the pleasure of many games to surrender just a very few of them.
    If you saying that it's bellow 5% - then probably you don't have the prediction skills. Even in real-time mobas it's not that hard to predict game outcome, and in turn-based game, where random almost not affecting gameplay comebacks are hardly possible - you gain advantage and you push it. There is a lot of certain things - for example, if enemy without escapes and supports losing their cata, you can say exacly how many turns will be needed to take that one down, because he can't escape when enemy following his movements, and stuff like that.

    And enemy team... why ask them? They getting a win and wasting a lot less time on this game that is already won be them anyway. I get that some of the players do enjoy suffering of the others, and would keep the game as long as possible so they could toy with enemies and hummiliate them, but i don't think that opinion of this kind of players should matter.

    I don't really like LoL, but there is one thing where this game is much greater then dota 2 - it's surreder option, when nobody wasting time on games that are predictable and not fun anymore.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    11
    I'm sure you're one of those turds asking for a surrender option in every single multiplayer game you play.

    The surrender option is ALWAYS a garbage idea the rare times it gets implemented for a very simple reason: it creates a very bad atmosphere where people simply give up after the SLIGHTEST sh*t happening and start whining/spamming the concede button to "gg, go next" like worthless slobs. It ruins games. There is no counter-argument to that so don't bother.
    The fact even you bring the LoL exemple is quite hilarious considering it has precisely the absolute worst community of any games at the moment because people whine all the godamn time. Never thought why LoL is maybe the only relevant game who has a surrender option? (derp).

    It doesn't matter you have arguments FOR a surrender option because there are not worth the CONS anyway.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    99
    Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    If you saying that it's bellow 5% - then probably you don't have the prediction skills. Even in real-time mobas it's not that hard to predict game outcome, and in turn-based game, where random almost not affecting gameplay comebacks are hardly possible - you gain advantage and you push it. There is a lot of certain things - for example, if enemy without escapes and supports losing their cata, you can say exacly how many turns will be needed to take that one down, because he can't escape when enemy following his movements, and stuff like that.

    And enemy team... why ask them? They getting a win and wasting a lot less time on this game that is already won be them anyway. I get that some of the players do enjoy suffering of the others, and would keep the game as long as possible so they could toy with enemies and hummiliate them, but i don't think that opinion of this kind of players should matter.

    I don't really like LoL, but there is one thing where this game is much greater then dota 2 - it's surreder option, when nobody wasting time on games that are predictable and not fun anymore.
    DotA 2 player here who played LoL for about two years. Have played a fair bit of SMITE too, which also has a surrender.

    No.
    This is absolutely and overwhelmingly not the case. The existence of a surrender option enables a mindset of capitulation, entitlement and instant gratification. Some games are unfun stomps because of that, but I would take those games any day of the week over the entitled, childish, whiny do-nothings that inevitably follow in the presence of a mid-game surrender. When every third game IN CASUAL MODE becomes one guy - who was seemingly capable earlier - refusing to teamfight because we didn't pass a surrender when "bot fed [two kills] GG," I actually have the strong desire to punch them through the internet.

    Heck, those guys STILL show up sometimes in low brackets when I play with lower MMR friends without the surrender option even being there in DotA ("GG end quick please,") and I STILL hate them, but at least I don't have to deal with them near as often anymore.

    The surrender button is a neat, well-intentioned idea which just happens to bring out some of the nastiest bits of gamer psychology. In a twenty-minute game like Atlas, it's absolutely unjustifiable for all the damage it would cause.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts