+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Asana - balance discussion

Asana - balance discussion

As a player who focuses on frontline, and plays with and against her in competitive matches, I think it might be time for a slight adjustment to Asana. For a variety of reasons Asana is the most versatile, and therefore strongest in my opinion, frontline lancer. I won't discuss her skills in general because they are key to her design; rather I will point out a couple of mods which put her over the top.

Stand and Fight - Mod (Pierce): The ability to root 2 enemy lancers at good range with no loss in damage is clearly the best mod available for this ability. There is no downside to this mod. In order to balance out this mod I recommend reducing the damage done when this mod is selected. I think 14 damage (28 when two targets are hit) is a reasonable compromise. This change leaves the strong CC element of the Pierce mod while tempering the overall impact via reduced damage. This makes the mod choice a slight risk since single target roots become less efficient compared to other mods.

Rebounding Charge - Mod (Vault): In keeping with the discussion of the Pierce mod above this mod is too strong because it doubles the damage done by the ability with no downside. This mod already makes this ability much more dynamic, there should be some cost to this added flexibility. Once again, I recommend adjusting the damage numbers for this mod to introduce some downside to the added flexibility that it provides. I think 15 damage (30 when two targets are hit) is a reasonable compromise. This change leaves the flexibility of the Vault mod in place while tempering the overall impact via reduced damage. This makes the mod choice slightly less efficient when hitting single targets which makes other mods more competitive.

Guardian Angel - Mod (Saviour): This mod completely changes this ability. The impact of unlimited range simply cannot be quantified versus the other available mods. I highly recommend making this a baseline element of the ability which will allow mod selection to become a real question for Asana.

Once again, I am a big fan of Asana but feel she needs a few tweaks to balance her out and open up some design space Thanks again for a great game!

While I agree that Asana is quite clearly the strongest frontliner, I'd like to bring up another point:

Is Asana, as she is, too strong of a character, or is the Frontliner category below average overall? Most people agree Rask is fine (though I would voice my opinion that he is a pretty distant second place to Asana, not "about as strong" which some people believe.) But the others? I honestly believe all three of Garrison, Rampart, and Titus would be below the "50% mark." Food for thought.

If you WERE to nerf some of Asana's most popular mods:
    1) Stand and Fight - Skewer: I think reducing damage, if done at all, should be in line with how just about every other piercing mod reduces damage: less damage to the secondary target. Asana HAS good places to dump extra mod points, and she HAS other options on Stand and Fight which are not negligible. I don't think a whopping ten damage nerf when using the skill against a single target is justified: most people who use the pierce mod still perform single target roots many times per game. I think they'd switch back to Atomic Edge or Shining Blade at that point.

2) Rebounding Charge - Mod (Vault): This mod does have an in-built side-grade, though, in that it can place you at greater distance when used against a single target. It can also be awkward when trying to dash thru camouflage tiles to find foes, since the initial rebound is very finicky without a target indicator. Again, though, I'd repeat my above stance: use the widely accepted "less damage to second target" nerf if you want this knocked down a peg. I do think this mod edges out its competition more than Skewer does, though, so here I'd actually be willing to support a tweak for internal balance, if nothing else. The other mods are neat, and I wish I could justify using them more, but with Vault we do buy flexibility as well, which is a premium asset.

3) Guardian Angel - Saviour: Here I'm not sure. I know the default mod is the most popular, but I both like and have had success with some of the other mods. Your mileage may vary. Either way, I don't think BUFFING this ult is a good way to handle this.

So really, a slight toning down of Vault (less than what you proposed) is all I can get behind. Just my opinion.

The point isn't to buff the ult but give her a global ult and cut somewhere else so she has more ways to play instead of just removing or nerfing the mod

the ult mod is p. much the only no-brainer and its value is unparallelled in contrast with the other choices. all other abilities have a good selection of options and are really versatile in terms of how you can play the character but with Saviour being damn near mandatory, you only have 8 points to deal with.
    The one thing that could cause cowboys and Indians to join forces is their mutual enemy: dinosaurs.

Quote Originally Posted by inflatable fish View Post
    the ult mod is p. much the only no-brainer and its value is unparallelled in contrast with the other choices. all other abilities have a good selection of options and are really versatile in terms of how you can play the character but with Saviour being damn near mandatory, you only have 8 points to deal with.
    That's only really a must-have in low-level play and random pubbie teaming. If you've got a cohesive team with plans and goals, you can expect teammates to stay within range for Asana's Ultimate, and therefore allow the use of Archangel or Into The Fray (Lasting Protection isn't even worth the one point, in my book).

Quote Originally Posted by Nekojin View Post
    That's only really a must-have in low-level play and random pubbie teaming. If you've got a cohesive team with plans and goals, you can expect teammates to stay within range for Asana's Ultimate, and therefore allow the use of Archangel or Into The Fray (Lasting Protection isn't even worth the one point, in my book).
    Saviour allows you to help ANY teammate, no matter how out of position or behind how many walls they are, and allows you to unconditionally make an explosive comeback after a death regardless of where you spawned and what happened during the two turns you've been out. I'll take that over 15 extra shields any day, "level of play" notwithstanding.
    The one thing that could cause cowboys and Indians to join forces is their mutual enemy: dinosaurs.

+ Reply to Thread