+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Wind-Themed Support: Aeolus

Wind-Themed Support: Aeolus

I love the Support class, in any game. I've had this kind of theme brewing since I started really getting into the Supports on Atlas Reactor, and I think I've got a idea set.

A Wind themed support would support in a way completely different from other supports.

I haven't decided on what this character would look like. Even the name is a placeholder. I care about the abilities, for now.

Passive: All attacks that target Aeolus will have their range reduced (on the effective turn) by a short range. This includes AOE attacks. The powerful wind vortex that surrounds Aeolus pushes back attacks, requiring the enemy team, when including him in damage, to take that into consideration to avoid a miss. Foes that lock onto Aeolus directly will be one tile behind from their last possible step. Allies get a small boost to tile movement if they lock onto Aeolus directly, in Move Phase.

First ability: Blast Phase: Wind Wall

This attack can be fired in any direction, but it's effect is in a straight line. Up, down, left, right, upright, downright, ect. If you fire upright, the line will form like this: https://gyazo.com/899222966f1606e3f91a3348e75ae425 (The green dot is the character, the red line is the wall of wind, the arrow is the direction it'd go.)

The size of the lines are not explicitly what the range of the ability would be per grid tile.

This is affected by walls, and won't just be stopped on terrain. The wind wall will be squeezed together, becoming more potent. Essentially, this ability is weak on open areas, but funneled into tight spaces, it will become more damaging. (Like those pesky sneak spots, hehehe)

Here's another picture to explain:

https://gyazo.com/4d6c75112cf2286cc64e19a2ef59b687

Green: Freelancer. Red: Wind Wall Blue: the direction the blocked wind funnels to. Orange: Walls

TL;DR
    The ability is weak in damage, but it's perfect for hitting multiple enemies. It's AoE is wide, but is weak to compensate.

Second Ability: Prep Phase: Tailwind/Headwind

Tailwind is applied when used on Allies. When used, they gain Haste, and attacks affecting them are pushed back by short-to-medium range. Stacks with Aeolus's passive, if he is also in range Of the EXACT same attack. The ally's attacks also gain a short range buff while the buff is applied. Including dashes. Does not apply to Dash catalysts.

Headwind is the opposite, and is applied when used on enemies. The target recieves the Slow debuff, attacks used (including dashes, but not dash catalysts) are reduced by short-to-medium range.

Lasts for one turn.

Short cooldown.

Third Ability: Prep Phase-Blast Phase: Stirring Typhoon

An AOE drop attack similar to Aurora's Ion Cloud, but upon first impact, winds gather at the location, heavy winds that become stronger on the next turn during Blast phase. Any enemies within range are pushed away by two tiles in a straight line (if possible) and are damaged.

Short-To-Medium cooldown.

Fourth Ability: Prep Phase: Mist

In a straght line, from Aeolus's position, a fast bolt of wind is fired, creating a straight wall behind it. Ally attacks are increased by a short range boost (stacking possible with other abilities), and enemy attacks are reduced by a short range.

Medium-To-Long cooldown.

Ultimate: Dash Phase: Vortex

Aeolus empowers his wind vortex, and "gifts" it to an enemy or ally. If given to an enemy, they will pull attacks toward them. Essentially making their hitbox bigger, giving them the same buffs/debuffs of the second ability. If given to an ally, any abilities that come into range will curve completely off. Lasts for a short-to-medium duration. During the movement phase of both the casted and the final turn, the winds will pulse, healing your allies and damaging your enemies. It does not matter who was targeted. On the next turn of the ability, enemies will know which way the winds will blow their projectiles.

What do you think? Is this concept balanced? Interesting? Ungodly overpowered? Underpowered?

Please, tell me! I'm really curious for opinions, here!

First thought: Thumbs up for mythological references.

I think the passive, and by extension the headwind/tailwind effect and the mist effect, are problematic though. "Range" is not as easily classified in this game as others. Does this mean if you Tailwind a Rask, his Plasma goo will expand an additional tile? If you Headwind a PuP, will his jaws suddenly become half as long? What about cones? Elle's drone? Pre-existing Quark bonds? Juno's ult? Dashes with fixed landing points like Grey's, or "jointed" dashes? What counts as "targetting" Aeolus? If I put a 3x3 square with him at a corner, does the whole thing move? What about a 2x2 square, which by definition must have him in one corner? Can that never ever hit him? I think this ability brings up too many ugly questions about what should be allowed and what shouldn't. I think because of that, it would be difficult to make it feel intuitive, and thus difficult to make it feel satisfying.

Honestly, so much of the character is dedicated to that concept of range/path manipulation, I'm not sure I can give much else for advice. Wind Wall, I think would be better served if Aeolus himself could adjust the size downward for more force, similar to Dr Finn. Typhoon, the idea of a blast which becomes a stage hazard turn two is neat.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but that's my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by FogRaider View Post
    First thought: Thumbs up for mythological references.

I think the passive, and by extension the headwind/tailwind effect and the mist effect, are problematic though. "Range" is not as easily classified in this game as others. Does this mean if you Tailwind a Rask, his Plasma goo will expand an additional tile? If you Headwind a PuP, will his jaws suddenly become half as long? What about cones? Elle's drone? Pre-existing Quark bonds? Juno's ult? Dashes with fixed landing points like Grey's, or "jointed" dashes? What counts as "targetting" Aeolus? If I put a 3x3 square with him at a corner, does the whole thing move? What about a 2x2 square, which by definition must have him in one corner? Can that never ever hit him? I think this ability brings up too many ugly questions about what should be allowed and what shouldn't. I think because of that, it would be difficult to make it feel intuitive, and thus difficult to make it feel satisfying.

Honestly, so much of the character is dedicated to that concept of range/path manipulation, I'm not sure I can give much else for advice. Wind Wall, I think would be better served if Aeolus himself could adjust the size downward for more force, similar to Dr Finn. Typhoon, the idea of a blast which becomes a stage hazard turn two is neat.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but that's my two cents.
    It's alright! This is a bit of a nutball idea, I wouldn't be surprised if it was shot down by the community overall.

Wrapping my head around all the affects, it is getting a tad bit too complicated, perhaps...I even made this thing while I was sleepy.

+ Reply to Thread