+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Atlas Reactor Team post in this thread.   Thread: The game is great. The available ways to play it are not.

The game is great. The available ways to play it are not.

Y'all have made an amazing team game that shines its brightest when those teams can coordinate completely, but you're providing no way for people to play it as a team with anything to achieve. PvP queue offers nothing to accomplish, no goals or achievements of any kind. Ranked queue offers no team play. You can't play with more than one friend, and certainly not a fully coordinated team. The prospects of getting random teammates that one would purposefully want to play with are exceedingly low.

It is not unreasonable to want a multiplayer game to offer both the ability to play with your friends and some form of goal or achievement. I can think of little else that would be more important.

Personally, I have zero interest in playing with random people on my team. Win or loss, the only feeling games with random people provide me with is frustration. I also have zero interest in playing a game with nothing to achieve, no goal to reach for. PvP is out. If your hope is for unaffiliated organizations that are anything but organized to fill the massive gap you're leaving, I think you'll soon become as disappointed as I have.

If you're worried that opening team ranked will split queues, I can assure you that is not the case for me. I have tried solo and duo queue, and they were not fun. This player is already gone from those queues. The concern that there simply aren't enough players for a permanent team ranked queue is a valid one, but those of us who want to play this as a team game aren't going to be sated without it. Maybe you lose us as players if it doesn't work, but you certainly lose us as players if you don't even try.

It's supremely disappointing to know that such a great game exists, and yet to not be able to play it in the manner in which it performs the best.

I feel the same way. I haven't played 1 game in solo, I did my 10 duo placements and haven't touched it since. I love my team and we have fun playing together, solo is just not fun at all. Team games just offer a higher level of play and different play style that I enjoy and that's the experience I want to have every time I play Atlas Reactor.

It seems to have been stated that team ranked will be episodic, and I would in my opinion rather have it be open to start with.
    With the little info we have so far I think the main issue is due to queue-times for teams.
    I am unaware as of writing this if players are restricted to be on one team or whether or not they can be on multiple (but being on multiple can create more teams).

So with my input here I will focus on strictly the idea of the team ranked to be episodic. Ideally I would rather it be open 24/7, at the very least at the start, so that we can wait on data to see whether or not we have enough teams or the peaks time of play, and to leave it as an option for players that only want to play with a team to have, at the cost of waiting for queues.
    Either way I would rather we start open then move to episodic if the data shows that it is indeed better to have it episodic, and not the opposite.

Another possible approach is that, since we do not know how frequent the team queue will be to probably have some information on the intention, will it be something like an MMO limited battlegrounds/raids time, which occurs daily but at specific hours, or will it be every two days, or weekly or that sort. Ideally I do not think anything that is beyond daily is engaging for the players to play (so I would recommend even if it is at fixed times, to be at least daily).

Those are my two cents.

Edit: I have written suggestions regarding solo/duoq and relatively issues with basic entry being a certain season chapter, where prior season chapter quests have decent things that introduce players to the game

It makes sense its not 24/7 to encourage playing all other modes and also ensure the same teams don't always dominate-competitive teams have esports for this.

That being said I have reached my threshold of enjoying solo play and no longer play ranked. Its just too sporadic on level of knowledge and with no change in site on changing prerequsite to play ranked I need to save my sanity. This game is too heavily team based to not have more stricter terms to play ranked and I still think level 5 on multiple freelancers (5/7/10) is better than 50 pvp games not just for the team but the individual so their chances of increasing knowledge also increase enjoyment.

Feels the same. Open team ranked so I can get some fun with my friends. We're all getting bored of going solo/duo. Overmore, ranks & divisions don't mean anything at the moment since we're matched with so different level of players. I know that even I'm platinium, I may be queued with some who has only 50 games. And this is not like it rarely happens, it happens all the time. Let me be clear, I would never ever queue in ranked games with someone that has such a knowledge gap with me.

For the first time in 600 game, I had a feeder in ranked, because guess what he believed he was the top ranked and that all the rest of the team was bronze/silver so he got pissed.
    It means that, and I think you can all aggree to that, there's no way to possibly trust your teammates and this creates a tension right at the bans phase.

So let's resume solo/duoQ :

- Long queues
    - Meaningless division and ranks
    - Meaningless MMR
    - Extremly high variation in knowledge within a team

----> 0 trust

===> frustration

---> 0 interest for player who want to keep their mental sanity.

Also and I think it's important to note that for now, I have no interest in climbing the ladder because I know that it won't make me play with & agains't better players.

So open team ranked, let player of same level tag together, let them get wreckt and win together and stop matching me with beginners during a ranked game, I have no interest in that.

Maybe it is time to think about another way to make this game competitive.

Once you get past the first couple of games it gets better though.
    You get teamed up with people that match your elo unless you play outside of peak hours.
    But i do agree that team ranked would be nice, since nobody ever uses discord in solo queues and the game is attracting more and more toxics every day.
    I also avoid ranked because i don't like getting teamed up with randoms.
    Prepare to be impressed

Quote Originally Posted by gaius View Post
    Once you get past the first couple of games it gets better though.
    I have played 116 ranked games between solo and duo. It did not get better. Furthermore, it's not even about the randoms I get on my team being better, it's about not having randoms at all. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to play with my team.

But would 4man ranked really be fun for you with a 100% winrate? Why don't you just scrim against teams that are near your skill level. That would help other teams to improve to, and be more fun for you. Or is your goal just to own scrubs like me in ranked?

It has nothing to do with winning or losing. The games I won in solo and duo queue weren't any less miserable than the games I lost. Yes, the game is fun when playing as a team. No, the game is not fun for me when playing with random people. It's a team game that doesn't have a way to play as a team with anything to accomplish.

In a perfect world, we would all have other things to do while new features are rolled out.

+ Reply to Thread