+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Phases: Prep, Dash, Blast, (Pseudo-Move???), Move

Phases: Prep, Dash, Blast, (Pseudo-Move???), Move

After asking about game mechanics, I wondered about what methods there were to utilizing different team comps. After asking around, it got me nowhere fast, with people saying different things altogether, some guy claimed to be a top tier pro and insulted me. But long story short, asking this question got me nowhere..

The problem in question was due to the fact that each move fits together simultaneously except for a select few.
    There are blast-phase moves that will always go after other blast-phase moves. Which moves are these in question? The moves that force movement from other players.

Apparently there is a (Pseudo-Move Phase) that takes place between the Blast phase and Move phases.. I can't call it movement phase due to the fact that the ability takes place before all the characters start simultaneously moving during the movement phase.

Why is this important?
    When testing around, I decided to use Zuki's "The Big One." On the following turn, I tried to see if I can pull enemies into the radius of Zuki's "The Big One" with Rampart's "Fusion Lance." Being that they're both Blast Phase moves, I wondered if the game would have some sort of paradox. Rather than a paradox, what I've noticed is that every Blast Phase will end with these movement forcing Blast Phase abilities. But this will always take place before the movement phase initiates.

This means if Gremolitions Inc. set down mines at the blast phase and Rampart pulled enemies through them, the mines would induce damage. Same with any blast phase trap.
    But if someone tried to pull into Zuki's "The Big One." Her bomb would always go off before the movement inducing ability.

By this logic, some characters will have better team comps with others in terms of trap usage and forced movements.

You are correct as far as I have been able to tell. A friend of mine and I have been running the rampart/hello combo to pull people through the force field. You grave on someone else to pull them again the next turn if they do not dash

It is certainly true that blast phase movement can bump into things that were created during that same blast phase. Let's call it the "Knockback phase". But it's not a phase that abilities happen. The way I think about it is that knockbacks are added to a freelancer just like damage is, and then the movement is applied when there's nothing else to do to the freelancer. So all the abilities hit "simultaneously": go through everything that will activate this blast phase and assign what abilities hit who. Then add damage, buffs, and knockbacks from those abilities. Then move the freelancers, which may add more damage and buffs. Then kill anyone that's below 1 health. Each of those steps could be considered a sub-phase, but a knockback ability participates in all of them.

That's not how it gets visualized in game: the playback engine shows us the blast phase abilities one at a time and tries to order things so that effects (like death or knockback) happen immediately after the ability that caused them. Thus abilties with knockbacks will generally (always?) play after abilities without them. But sometimes it still can't display the knockback immediately: like if a Gremolitions bomb throws people around and an Elle ult throws the same people around, you will see the damage parts of those abilities resolve without anyone moving until the last one hits, and then their movement will happen (summed up, as far as I can tell.)

A note on death. Like I mentioned above, death happens after movement in the blast phase. This is different than during the movement phase. If you are at -5 health and a knockback pushes you through a health powerup, you will survive. If a knockback launches you through a Grey ult, which kills you, but you land on a health powerup, you live. If you die walking through a Grey ult to get a health powerup in the movement phase, you will be dead before you get to the other side of the wall, and the health powerup will shine a green glow on your corpse.

I think the only things you will hit from knockbacks are also things you can hit during a movement phase. There may be cases where you want to test it in a custom match to be sure--I had to try Celeste's trap just now, since it says "on the trap during the blast phase". The answer is that being knocked back onto her trap does not cause it to detonate (it was not the same turn the trap was placed.) I also made sure that if Grey gets hit with a weaken in the blast phase, and casts her ult, and Rask knocks someone through the ult, the weaken does not affect the damage of the Grey wall that phase (like it would for anyone that hits it in the following movement phase.)

Incidentally, the movement phase has two parts as well: non-follow movement resolves completely, and then follow movement resolves. That matters if you want to do a non-follow move to someone's location who does a follow move. You won't get to go where they are because they still block that square during the non-follow sub-phase.

If you haven't seen it already this page provides a good overlay of all the phases and it specifies a knockback phase between blast and movement as you mentioned.

https://prepphase.com/gameinfo.php
    But seeing as you already know this it probably won't do you any good.

Might aswell post it for anyone having trouble figuring it out and it does provide some other usefull info.
    Maybe they could add an exception for skills like the big one and add another trap phase in future updates?
    Prepare to be impressed

Quote Originally Posted by gaius View Post
    Maybe they could add an exception for skills like the big one and add another trap phase in future updates?
    Not sure what you mean; I don't see that it needs an exception. "Big one" is an ability that happens in the blast phase, like Elle's drone and such. It's not a trap that can be run into. Therefore it happens before movement is resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujo View Post
    Not sure what you mean; I don't see that it needs an exception. "Big one" is an ability that happens in the blast phase, like Elle's drone and such. It's not a trap that can be run into. Therefore it happens before movement is resolved.
    It doesn't have to be an exception but it could be either way.
    My reasoning behind this is that it would provide the game with more possible combos during the knockback phase which resolves between blast phase and movement.
    If the big one triggers after the knockback phase instead of before you could use pulls or knockbacks to throw opponents into the blast.

I don't mean people should be able to run into it, just add another "trap phase" between knockback and movement which triggers traps such as the big one.

I'm not sure if this conflicts with any other mechanics because i really didn't think it through all that much tbh but one thing that comes to mind is you would not be able to use pulls/knockbacks when people are in the dangerzone because you would pull them out so it seems to be a double edged sword.
    Prepare to be impressed

+ Reply to Thread