+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Atlas Reactor Team post in this thread.   Thread: points for win/lose in solo q ranked

points for win/lose in solo q ranked

Not sure how poinst work in this system but it start too pi$$ me off, my last 2 game win and lose: +14 and -15 points!!!! and i was best player from ma team (and i playd tank not my fav role). How it works when i get perd up with some new player that doesnt now that its beter to flash away on turn 20 when we are 1 kill up that use ult when all enemy has dash up, and my points sufer for that greatly!!!! solo q should be more forgiving when Im perd up with low division players when ther is not eneaf player to feel my que.

yeah not sure how the points are calculated either; had a game just now, 837 damage, 5-0-5, +18 points. a game earlier, 500-ish damage, 3-0-3, 19 points. losses are equally inconsistent, more points lost for matches I did well in (including no deaths) than those where I died or did less damage. what gives?
    The one thing that could cause cowboys and Indians to join forces is their mutual enemy: dinosaurs.

It's probably factoring in your current ranking (or your team's average) against the enemy team's rating when determining how many points to award. Might also be factoring in the number of turns taken. Scoring 837 points in 25 turns isn't as impressive as getting over 500 in only 10 turns.

two matches back to back. in the second match I did about 35% less damage and had a death. and yet I gained almost twice as many rank points. before that, I lost 21 points for a loss where I did over 500 damage and died once. I would really like to know how it's calculated.
    The one thing that could cause cowboys and Indians to join forces is their mutual enemy: dinosaurs.

The de-facto standard doesn't care how well you win, just whether you were "expected" to win or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Elo doesn't really work for individuals of a team, though; so I am also really curious what they came up with. Whatever it is, I'm sure if factors in the expected difficulty of your opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujo View Post
    The de-facto standard doesn't care how well you win, just whether you were "expected" to win or not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Elo doesn't really work for individuals of a team, though; so I am also really curious what they came up with. Whatever it is, I'm sure if factors in the expected difficulty of your opponents.
    There are a few ways videogames adapt Elo-style rating systems to team games. There are benefits and disadvantages to each.

1. Pure team vs. team performance. Your personal Elo rating is somewhat diminished in importance, because it gets averaged into your team's rating. This team rating is compared against the opposing team's rating. The resultant value for a win or loss is then applied +/- against your personal rating.

2. Same as above but the value is further modified for your rating compared with the rest of the team. If you're significantly higher-ranked than other players on your team, you'll see larger shifts in your rating, because as a higher-ranked player, you were "more responsible" for the result.

3. Solo vs. team. This averages out the opposing team's ratings, but then compares that average to your personal rating. This is hard on skilled solo queue players, because they can lose a lot of rating for failing to carry a much weaker team. On the other side, it's quite generous for weaker players, since they can absolutely shaft their team and still only lose a small amount because of their much lower MMR, and being carried successfully against even a mediocre team will reward them with a large boost.

4. (rare or limited to premade teams) Team MMR instead of individual. We know this isn't how AR works, but it's worth mentioning that some games do this. It's progressively less common in games with larger team sizes - it's quite rare for anything larger than 3v3 to rank a team as a whole instead of having individual rankings per player. It does sometimes see use in larger teams for specific tournaments and events, but is very rarely tracked in-game, even in smaller games where it may be practical to do so.

There are also the "TrueSkill" type rating systems, which add an extra layer of complexity, but typically annoy/confuse players by not showing them all the necessary information to understand their rating. These us an Elo-like rating system (calculated in any of the above-mentioned ways), but ALSO have a "variance" value, which is used to generate a probability curve around the "mean rating". Instead of treating your Elo-like rating as a hard value, TrueSkill treats it as an estimate, and generates a range of possible values around that estimated rating. Many games which use TrueSkill show an "adjusted rating" which is modified using 2x or 3x the "variance" value, placing your rating at the bottom of the expected range of ratings it's calculated for you. The "variance" value is roughly equivalent to a "standard deviation" (for those who remember studying statistics), so 1x variance should give you almost a 70% chance of having an accurate range, while 2x variance raises to 95% confidence, and 3x variance is above 99% probability of having your correct rating within the estimated range. This is, of course, only valid once the estimated/mean rating has been properly calibrated, and depending on how the game handles its placement matches, that can take longer than just the time spent in placement.

7.   This is the last Atlas Reactor Team post in this thread.   #7
    All that matters for determining your point changes are if your team won or lost, and how good your team was vs. how good the other team was. Sorry you had a slightly frustrating experience! Hopefully as you play more, you will win more than you lose, and climb.

Quote Originally Posted by obliviondoll View Post
    1. Pure team vs. team performance. Your personal Elo rating is somewhat diminished in importance, because it gets averaged into your team's rating. This team rating is compared against the opposing team's rating. The resultant value for a win or loss is then applied +/- against your personal rating.
    Is that confirmation of this?

So every player on the team gains/loses the same amount for the match? And it's based on cumulative ratings of both teams, not compared on either side against an individual's rating?

How will team ranked work? I'm Plat in solo queue but want to play with some of my gold/silver friends. If I play all 10 placement matches with those friends will we be all the same rank?

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    All that matters for determining your point changes are if your team won or lost, and how good your team was vs. how good the other team was. Sorry you had a slightly frustrating experience! Hopefully as you play more, you will win more than you lose, and climb.
    This is the most idiotic thing about this "Solo" ranking system.

If I don't die and we lose, how is that my fault? Many people still play this game under the illusion that kills mean more then living. If nobody on my team dies it is impossible to lose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread