+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Chi-Cory, Symbiotic Duo

Chi-Cory, Symbiotic Duo

Title: Chi-cory, Symbiotic Duo

Role: Frontliner

Description:
    Chi-cory is, as the name suggests, actually two entities in one character: A solid, athletic woman (Cory) with a great deal of her body covered in the plantlike symbiote, Chi, who manifests as a tiny creature emerging from the overgrowth on Cory's shoulder. Cory wields an enormous weaponized circular saw, while Chi wields a small pistol.

Abilities:

Primary (1) (Blast): "Rip-saw"

Targets a circle in the center of the 2nd tile away, with a .7 tile radius. (Why these measurements? This allows her to hit one adjacent target, but makes it much easier to hit multiple foes at a distance of ~2.)

Cut with a sawblade, dealing a Mid-high (top end for frontliner) amount of damage to all foes caught, but damage is reduced by a slight amount for each foe beyond the first.

2 (Blast): "Seed pistol"

6x1 line, damages first foe struck. Landing/ending tile has special effects. Cooldown: Low or none.

Fire a seed at the foe with the speed of a bullet, dealing mid-low damage. At the beginning of next turn, a tiny plant will emerge where the seed fell, giving various effect based on mod selection. Plants live for two turns.

3 (Prep): "Entanglement"

All tile borders extending from Chi-Cory's current tile. (pattern like '#') Cooldown: Med-low

Chi-Cory extends vines from her body. Foes who cross a vine are rooted and take a small amount of damage, and foes who dash across a vine are pulled to your location during the blast phase. The vines persist until you move.

4 (Prep/Blast): "Pillar of thorns"

Single empty tile within range 8, can deploy behind walls. Cooldown: Med-low

Causes a towering pillar of dense thorns to grow instantly from select location, blocking enemy attacks. During the blast phase, it will fire those thorns, dealing moderate damage to adjacent foes. (Dissipates during the movement phase. Follows the same protocols for what will be blocked as Rampart's shield.)

Ult (Prep): "Symbiosis"

Self-target/buff. Requires 100 energy.

Chi and Cory merge their essence completely, briefly becoming one. For three turns, you heal for a moderate amount of health per turn, and may use Seed Pistol, Entanglement, OR Pillar of thorns as a free action. (Available starting turn after use. Only one of the identified actions per turn, not all three.)

Mods:

Rip-saw Mods:

"Timber!"- 1 - Gain 20 energy on kill.
    "Diamond teeth"- 3 - Damage no longer drops for additional foes. Ignores cover.
    "Clearcutter" - 2 - Sweep the saw by 30 degrees during the attack.

Seed Pistol Mods:

"Drowsy spores"- 1 - Plant will weaken foes who moves across it for one turn.
    "Berry good"- 2 - Plant will drop a small health pickup.
    "Invigorating scent"- 2 - Plant will drop a small energy pickup.
    "Briar patch"- 3 - Plant will fire thorns during blast phase, dealing small damage in a 1 tile radius.

Entanglement Mods:

"Runners"- 3 - Vines extend one tile farther in target direction.
    "Deep roots"- 1 - Gain unstoppable until you move.
    "Ingrained"- 2 - Vines continue to persist until end of turn if you move.

Pillar of Thorns Mods:

"Rapid growth"- 3 - Raise two pillars. They may not be adjacent.
    "Touch-me-not"- 2 - Increase thorn damage for each attack blocked.
    "Prickly business"- 2 - Reduce cooldown by one for each attack blocked.

Symbiosis Mods:

"Might of oaks"- 3 - Also gain Might for the duration.
    "Multibond"- 2 - Nearby (5x5) allies also gain the initial healing.
    "Verdant Path"- 1 - Leave a seed in your starting location each turn.

Lore:
    Chi-Cory is associated with the Evos trust. She was a test subject in experiments to create an artificial plant-based soldier, but the experiments failed to take complete hold. Most of the subjects were dismissed following this failure, as the Evos trust allowed participants a reversal procedure to separate them from their plant components, which were behaving more as a parasite than as a transformative infusion as hoped.

A young woman named Cory, however, elected to keep her rider-on, stating she felt a sentimental attachment to the photosynthetic mass. Her emotions would prove prophetic as the plant grew to full sentience in the weeks to come, whether on its own or by borrowing from Cory's mindpower is unknown. In either case, the plant-creature elected to call itself Chi, and the two began to explore a cooperative partnership. It soon became apparent where their combined abilities could be put to the best use: as Freelancers.

Tidbits:
    • Chicory is a type of plant known for its root, which is edible.
    • I created this character to fill several niches, one of which is as the first Frontliner with a prep-phase trap.
    • Chi has a flighty personality, and often over-reacts to thing. Cory is more grounded, often directing the focus of her companion, though she also derives amusement from her antics at times.
    • Entanglement was inspired by the mechanic known as "Attack of Opportunity" in tabletop games.
    • Although Chi's "head/body" is limited to Cory's shoulder, all of her left arm, upper-left torso, neck, and a small part of her lower face are covered in plant matter.
    • I imagined Cory as wearing rugged pants with a running top, though I'm not dead-set on it. The plant matter could be portrayed as over or under the clothing; both could be effective.

Gameplay:
    Chi-Cory is less mobile than the current Frontliners, instead aiming for space control and light supportive elements. She has no innate dash options, instead relying on blocking and healing to sustain herself in a fight. Her abilities allow her to set multiple varieties of terrain elements: Traps, blockers, etc. It would not be entirely wrong to think of her as a combination of elements of Freelancers like Gremolitions, Rampart, and Garrison. Although she is best at close range like all frontliners, Chi-Cory has various abilities which can function at a range, so she is free to abstain from follow-command in order to pursue other options.

If I get around to it, I'd like to create and post a concept art.

What are your thoughts?

Founder
    This is a unique character indeed, the concept of as you said 'Symbiotic Duo' is interesting. And your pitch to focus a Frontline Freelancer with 'Light supportive elements' and 'Prep phase traps' is abnormal, I find it hard to see this character as a Frontline to be honest. Don't get me wrong, the idea of 'Pillar of Thorns' fills the place of lending a helping hand, rather than blocking it yourself with your sheer body but you might be going out on a limb from a 'Frontline'. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkShield View Post
    This is a unique character indeed, the concept of as you said 'Symbiotic Duo' is interesting. And your pitch to focus a Frontline Freelancer with 'Light supportive elements' and 'Prep phase traps' is abnormal, I find it hard to see this character as a Frontline to be honest. Don't get me wrong, the idea of 'Pillar of Thorns' fills the place of lending a helping hand, rather than blocking it yourself with your sheer body but you might be going out on a limb from a 'Frontline'. Just my opinion.
    Well, the label is not so important anyway, but still, right now there are only three categories and I had to pick one. I do think she fits "frontline" more than "support" since she doesn't have any abilities which directly heal or add shields to allies (except for mods), and some of her abilities are best at short range, but if you prefer to think of her as a "melee support" in your own opinion that's fine.

Thank you for your interest!

This sounds like an amazing character! I love all the detail you put into them.

+ Reply to Thread