+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Definition of a Frontliner

Definition of a Frontliner

After playing this game for quite some time I just understood what a Frontliner truly is. They are not necessarily Tanks like how most people take them as. What Frontliners actually do is to go to the middle of the battle and manage the damage done to your team, not to pursuit only 1 Freelancer. Though similar, managing damage and tanking damage are 2 different things. Tanking means absorbing almost all the damage, while managing is to know which damage to block and which not to. If you realize all Abilities of Frontliners are self-buffs and also AoE debuffs and/or damage, these are so as they should be in the middle of the battle dealing damage to several enemies at a time.

If there is anything which I missed or got wrong at. Just write something.

I kind of disagree since all frontliners are played differently and have different strategies. For example, Asana isn't particularly tanky but her survival rate is considered high, why is that, she has a counter ability that works from any angle and shields her pretty well, a mid ranged root and a dash that lets her bounce off walls. If push comes to shove she can rush in and run way when necessary.

Rampart has a lower survival rating but is almost completely used as a pure tank, to mitigate damage from allies while avoiding taking the bulk of the hits himself. Although due to his kit, he's more likely to stay in the fray of things for a lot longer than Asana.

Titus is just plain tanky and has a lot of mods to keep his sustain up.

Regardless, I feel like ONLY Rampart has the ability to mitigate damage from ally freelancers since all other people have to do is "not target them." Rampart can shield team members while protecting himself. The objective of a frontliner "to me" seems to be making yourself an easy target to take 2 or 3 turns worth of damage while setting up the enemy by zoning and crowd controlling. Because of this, if you don't capitalize on the frontliner's setups, your team will struggle much more.

I've found that the frontliners have the ability to split up a team, especially if they are backed up by really good firepower characters behind cover or out of sight.

It's a lot harder to focus fire on a frontliner when all your teammates are spread out taking damage from not just the tank, but ranged firepowers as well.

Ram's grab, Titus's slow moves & Asana's root ability is really good for forcing your opponent to dash away. And if played properly - in the opposite direction to your team.

From what i understand, they can be considered "walking wards" as wollelol describes it.
    They should be giving the rest of the team vision so the others can position effectively and ranged firepowers can target players who are otherwise in the fog.
    Also they have root/pull/knockback/weaken skills to keep the backline busy while your team picks of a single target out of position or burst out the aoe's when you can get them grouped up.

They have more health but can be killed very fast when they are focused so to use them effectively you need to get enough damage out before they are forced to retreat.
    So many times a frontliner just rushes in without waiting for the firepower/ support to get in range only to get picked off by the enemy team.

Positioning is the most important aspect of the game. It's no use tanking damage when your team is not in range to pick off targets.
    Prepare to be impressed

Hello guys,
    In my view of this matter, I would say that the frontlines are generally responsible for doing the melee fighting, and furthermore, as they said above, they are responsible for the division of the fighting. Each character has different abilities, but this peculiarity in each of the classes is quite remarkable.

Yours Dear,
    Piulres

+ Reply to Thread