Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Hey guys,Thanks for the feedback on this change. I want to walk you through our thought process a bit on why we implemented this. There are a couple points I want to hit:First of all, the skill of the game is largely in making good decisions. Decision-making is dependent on the game providing you with information - like how much energy your opponents have, or what abilities your opponents are using in any given turn during resolution phase. So I think we all agree it's important the game communicates *what's currently happening* to all players. The contentious part of this is that we are also communicating *what previously happened* to players as well. Throughout development, we've found that the game is more fun and less frustrating when players themselves make mistakes, rather than feeling like the game fed them bad information which then caused them to make mistakes. So, while we think memory is an important part of players making good decisions within the 20 second time limit, we generally feel like "If a player feels compelled to write something down on a notepad, we should probably write it down for them and keep everyone on an even playing field."Second of all, there's a question of what information should be public vs. what information should be hidden. Should mod information be known, or should it have to be deduced? Generally, the more impactful an ability is and the more impactful a mod is, the more punishing it is to have that information be hidden. We actually had all mods shown on the tab screen for awhile in Alpha, and the only reason we removed it was a UI revamp not leaving space there - not because we didn't want it there. When it comes to mods, we feel it's important that which mods are equipped on all players is public knowledge. It still competes with the turn timer for your personal processing power, but this way if you lose out to a 3-mod-point Ult from the darkness, you feel like it's *your* fault, not the game's fault. Similarly, if you land an amazing ult combo, you feel like you outplayed the other player - not like the game got in their way of making a good decision.It is possible that the new tab screen is providing too much information - for instance, we don't want it to display whether or not an opponent can use their character-targeted dash, as that tells you things about their position that your vision does not necessarily "earn" for you. We are happy to process feedback on any information you feel is too much on this screen - just keep in mind as you provide feedback, the general goals I outlined above.Thanks!
Jump to post...