+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Atlas Reactor Team post in this thread.   Thread: Getting to level 20 - Worth it? Can't buy the unlocked skin.

Angry Getting to level 20 - Worth it? Can't buy the unlocked skin.

Hello Atlas Reactor Community,

My name is Seris and I recently attained level 20 as Blackburn. The second to do so, after RestarttGaming claimed the first honor.

My main reason for pushing hard to gain this level quickly was to use the skins that are only unlocked once becoming level 20 with Blackburn. Unfortunately, after achieving the goal of reaching level 20, I was dismayed to find that I couldn't use them. Yes, they appear unlocked... but I can't actually use them because I don't have 20k ISO, 10k per unlocked level 20 skin.

After all the work and effort of pushing to level 20, I only gained 3,300 ISO from duplicate items in boxes.

This is nowhere near the amount necessary to actually make use of the level 20 grind.

I would gladly purchase ISO with real money, if that is what Atlas Reactor thinks is necessary. But is that what we want a mastery skin to represent? The money it takes to buy it?

Sincerely,
    Seris

TLDR: got level 20, can't use new skins because insufficient ISO/ they cost way too much.

I personally hate loot crates and think they are a huge scam, it would be nice to just straight up buy what you needed.

I agree that there's no reason why the master skins should be paywalled in addition to being levelwalled. 10k ISO a pop is rather unreasonable.
    The one thing that could cause cowboys and Indians to join forces is their mutual enemy: dinosaurs.

Its very unreasonable ... 10k iso is way too much for a single skin i had to grind to 20 to even get the "privilege" of buying it

I don't think its intended to be a reward for reaching level 20. It is more a system in place to avoid people dropping money on the game and starting out with master skins when they don't even know how to play.

I always saw the level requirement as just a way to prevent new players from getting it, not one that rewards lvl 20.

Quote Originally Posted by DrenRawr View Post
    I don't think its intended to be a reward for reaching level 20. It is more a system in place to avoid people dropping money on the game and starting out with master skins when they don't even know how to play.

I always saw the level requirement as just a way to prevent new players from getting it, not one that rewards lvl 20.
    Right. Getting to level 20 with a single freelancer probably does mean that you know how to play the game, which is why it unlocks the master skins for that particular character. It unlocks the skins for possible purchase, but makes it impossible for players to actually purchase them unless they randomly have enough IOS through getting impossibly lucky from loot boxes. Thus, nullifying the value of getting to level 20 on any given freelancer. This is very frustrating for me as well as a lot of people out there that have been going ham to get to level 20.

What's the point if you can't even use the reward (master skins) you rightly earned?

7.   Click here to go to the next Atlas Reactor Team post in this thread.   #7
    Hey there Seris,

Thanks for the feedback, and congratulations on the accomplishment of being the second to reach level 20 on Blackburn

The high ISO price of the Master skins is meant to keep them super-rare, so that they are more impressive to other players if you are wearing one. I totally understand how your situation right now could feel frustrating, and the design team will talk about it to make sure that the price is meeting our goals. But also keep in mind, that the rate at which you earn ISO is lowest at the beginning of the season, and only increases as the season goes on. The ISO price was also implemented with some assumptions about player behavior that the Server Broadcast messages then later altered - namely, that players would mostly play multiple Freelancers in order to complete chapter quests.

I just wanted to drop in and shed some light on why we made the choices we did with the Master skins. Again, we'll discuss internally to make sure they're doing what we want them to do. We want them to feel like really cool social symbols of how committed (and probably good) you are on a Freelancer - a way to signal to enemies that you are not to be messed with.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post

The high ISO price of the Master skins is meant to keep them super-rare, so that they are more impressive to other players if you are wearing one. I totally understand how your situation right now could feel frustrating, and the design team will talk about it to make sure that the price is meeting our goals. But also keep in mind, that the rate at which you earn ISO is lowest at the beginning of the season, and only increases as the season goes on. The ISO price was also implemented with some assumptions about player behavior that the Server Broadcast messages then later altered - namely, that players would mostly play multiple Freelancers in order to complete chapter quests.

I just wanted to drop in and shed some light on why we made the choices we did with the Master skins. Again, we'll discuss internally to make sure they're doing what we want them to do. We want them to feel like really cool social symbols of how committed (and probably good) you are on a Freelancer - a way to signal to enemies that you are not to be messed with.
    Hey Hawk,

I am glad to hear from you.

Thank you for taking the time to respond and to shed light on the situation. I really appreciate it. It intruigues me that ISO gain will increase as the season or seasons progress. I imagine this is in part due to naturally gaining more items as we level and therefore increasing the chances of duplicate items. What are some other ways that ISO gain might increase?

As I have attained at least level 20 with blackburn, all thats left for me to do to further show my mastery with him is to pray that I only get expensive duplicates from loot boxes. This seems a bit at odds with the 'not to be messed with' ideology. Random loot transferred into iso gain = visual mastery of class?

I understand that this is probably a very small concern in the full scope of the game moving forward and is only frustrating for the time being for those of us that are hardcore in our pursuit of mastery skins. I thoroughly enjoy the game. I find it to be balanced and strategically fascinating. I have faith that those of us that push and have pushed hard to master a specific freelancer will in time be able to use the rewards we have earned.

At this stage in the game, if I were to level another freelancer to 20, I probably still wouldn't have enough to purchase one of the 4 mastery skins I would then have available.

Is there anything I can do to increase the rate at which I attain ISO right now? Might there be additional rewards for getting higher than level 20 with a feelancer? As a side note, it is interesting to me that each level past 20 seems to require a solid 30k experience to earn, no longer increasing in requirement as it does in the first 20 levels.

The same thing happens in HoTS. You get to level 10 on a hero and "unlock" the master skin. What you really do is unlock the ability to buy it. It's also 10k gold to buy but these are prestige items and aren't supposed to be easy to get. Not everyone is supposed to have them; only players that dedicate themselves to a hero.

It sucks that you can't have everything you want but that's the reality of things. Do your dailies, season challenges etc, it won't be too hard to get.

interesting to me that each level past 20 seems to require a solid 30k experience to earn, no longer increasing in requirement as it does in the first 20 levels.
    An experience cap is also common when there are unlimited levels.

We actually discussed this fairly thoroughly on the AR Discord server in the feedback section. The general consensus was that 10k for a single master style was just rather outrageous with the rate of ISO gain in general. With 200+ GG boosts in the beta, you might've gotten enough for 2 skins from the entire closed and open beta periods once the change was made to how ISO was acquired. The fact that many of us that are more experienced and play for extended hours could only afford one or two master skins despite having most or all of the lancers at level 20 was really disheartening. That being said, there were some ideas that came out of that discussion with some merit:

1. 10k ISO unlocks all of the master styles on a single character. This still maintains the high cost of the master style, but doesn't punish a player by forcing a specific style choice when a single lancer has 3+ styles. Price can be adjusted to keep pace with lancer releases so experienced/dedicated players can collect all the things. We're currently seeing at least one a month, which is about the amount of time it takes to get 10k ISO without GG boosts.

2. Reduce the price of each master style to around 6-7k. This is still a high amount of ISO, but you're enabling the purchase of more than one style on a lancer without such a punishing grind to gain ISO for each style. This will be less overall styles than option one, but the truly dedicated players can still amass a respectable number of them to show off.

3. Increase the rates of high end items in the lancer specific loot matrices. If players truly enjoy a lancer, they're likely to spend the 1200-1500 ISO on an epic or legendary style that they really like when they aren't saving for the mastery styles. Increased ISO income will reward the players that are focusing a single lancer by giving slightly more ISO for duplicates over time at the cost of slower leveling once they get past level 20.

As someone who has some of the worst RNG imaginable when it comes to grinding/gambling mechanics, I would really love to have a system that is slightly more forgiving than the current one. Also, for the love of all that is AR, please make the single GG boost reward at least 2 or remove it entirely. It's just depressing, and worth less than a common banner duplicate because it takes at least 3 GG boosts to gain another season level/loot matrix. I'd rather get the 25 ISO than the slight boost to the next box.

+ Reply to Thread