+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Juno and her design

Quote Originally Posted by FogRaider View Post
    Eh. The only problem I have with Juno theme-wise is that she is very heavily cliched into the "sassy black woman." She's thick, that's not the same as dumpy by default. There are olympic athletes with roughly her build to be honest (google it.)
    Agreed. Too cliche.

People don't like large women.
    People don't like black women.

All the arguments about it being "too cliché" or "promoting an unhealthy lifestyle" are just attempts at justifying your own prejudice. Every Freelancer is a cliché/trope and every Freelancer leads an unhealthy lifestyle, yet you only have a problem with the large black woman.

Quote Originally Posted by kugelblitz View Post

All the arguments about it being "too cliché" or "promoting an unhealthy lifestyle" are just attempts at justifying your own prejudice. Every Freelancer is a cliché/trope and every Freelancer leads an unhealthy lifestyle, yet you only have a problem with the large black woman.
    *shrug*
    I think I'd drop all my issues if the base skins had dreads (or is it cornrows?) like the alt skin currently does instead of the 'fro. The alt skin, likewise, I'd love if the colors weren't so garish (EDIT: Apparently some of the new colors - introduced in that patch which added new colors to various costumes - were pretty good. Electrum is nice, is that new?) I mean it makes a degree of sense, it's just not visually appealing to me personally. I have a buddy who really hates her half-twisted expression in her portrait, too.

I certainly don't hate Juno, either flavorwise or playwise, I just may have done things slightly differently: the same way I might've given Su-Ren a back flap, or used basically any other color scheme as Titus' base skin, or altered Rask's "twitching with rage" animation to line up with breath patterns rather than looking like he's been electrocuted.

I actually really appreciate that they did take the time to put in a female character of significantly different body shape, and even amongst the other gals it's clear a lot of attention was paid to anatomy. Compare Elle to Celeste, and they both have builds which further their characterization, albeit subtly.

I mean I could open a whole can of worms and talk about realism vs verisimilitude, how even in a world of hats some hats can still be bad, and how Lockwood's head is shaped like a banana, etc etc. But Juno, if I say I have a problem with her, it's actually a mix of me being super happy that they took some steps and then a little sad that she could've been amazing with a few tweaks - in my opinion.

And that's...well yeah, my opinion.

Honestly the problem I have with Juno's design is that her jumpsuit is kind of...... plain.

She's kind of the Anti-Tracer, in that she's got awesome boots (Tracer has lame shoes) but nothing above that. At the very least she should have a breastplate or something to help take the strain off her shoulders/spine.

I've really enjoyed playing Juno since she was added to the game. Now that I know her mere existence causes such pearl-clutching consternation for a certain group of can't-even-deal-with-large-black-women-like-not-even-AT-ALL players, I like her even more! Having them get all riled because they have to see her in the arena means they're going to make stupid mistakes, and that gives me an advantage. Win-win. Well, just win. For me.

Personally, I love her kit but her model/design is just plain ugly. Precisely, I don't like her face at all and her suit is totally plain and bland.
    I usually don't care that much about the look of characters when I play (when it's particulary bad, I mean) but I would certainly like not having to force myself to not throw up when I play Juno...

Well, in my opinion, Juno's design is what I would call 'realistic'. I mean, little girls like Zuki are the aberration, a freelancer is supposed to be combat focused, and as such, they should be strong and tough, just like Juno.
    But I also agree that she's lacking something. When she speaks in game (I only see her face), I expect some muscular and agressive girl. But when seeing her posing on the selection screen, it's unnatural. I would have prefer her to have a pose like Titus' one, something that shows strength and agressivity. There are already plenty of girls with a sexy feeling, I don't think Juno should have one.

Not that Juno can't be sexy if she wants, just that when taking a picture of a freelancer, I expect them to show their combat style, not a Meetic profile picture.

Quote Originally Posted by MeH View Post
    I personaly dislike idea of promoting unhealthy living. This game takes place kinda in a future so one would think that ppl understood that beeing fit is good for your health and beeing overwaith simply is not. But thn again USA has the biges number of fat ppl so thim actualy could be standard there.
    This comment disgusts me.

Look, maybe it's you with the unhealthy standard of how women should look? You do realize that there are far more body types than what you see in magazines and on tv, right? Juno's character design isn't 'promoting unhealthy living'. It's literally depicting a common and normal body type, with a broad frame and musculature.

It's not like shooting a gun requires an Olympic athlete. Plus she's just a little bit chubby. It's not like she's morbidly obese. I don't see the problem. Also, if you're really complaining about unhealthy lifestyles why haven't you mentioned Lockwood's cigar? Your actions don't mesh with your alleged motive.

Quote Originally Posted by kugelblitz View Post

People? People in general? Citation needed. I didn't know Anita Sarkeesian posted on the Atlas Reactor forum. Go back to Tumblr, Anita.

@Pixelmancer i think lw cigar is e-cigar from future so it might just be some healthy inhalator device made to look this way (since it's future in game and the landscape is full of wastland one would think no1 is wasting space to grow tabacoo)

And i guess a lot of ppl here think beeing somewhat over waight is ok but forgate about anorexia by your logic anorexia is also "lifestyle" and not a disease!!!!! That thinking is fundamentaly wrong!!
    If u say it ok to be overwaight u also say its ok to be anorexic - think about that ( u cant beat logic

+ Reply to Thread