+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to get value out of Rask?

How to get value out of Rask?

Hi there, new-ish player, joined about a week before open beta closed up, hype for "launch" tomorrow.

I played every character at least once, but most of my play time was spent on the Frontliner characters, plus Grey and Quark.

One problem I had, though, was trying to squeeze value out of the less utility-based frontliners, especially Rask. It felt a lot like unless the enemy was clustering up, it was hard to perform comparably to the other characters I was using. All three of his normal-action attacks have quite low damage values, even compared to the other frontliners. I feel like the free action regen and ult are supposed to make up for it, but the eight turn cooldown on the healing fator made it feel like it was impossible to regen twice until you pop an ult. Additionally, building 100 energy without dying pretty much necessitated the following style in my experience: Get in, hit a few times, dash out, sprint for pickups while popping a second wind, and get in again. If you didn't pop your ult during the first time in, AND get out alive, it felt like you were losing a tremendous amount of value - but hitting 100 energy, again, felt difficult unless the enemy permitted you to get multi-target primaries. Even after getting to 100, you had to deploy the goo in a traffic'd spot, which usually meant more risk to yourself that turn, and if you died you lost most of the value of the cooldown reset.

Seemingly, it was hard to justify dashing offensively past the first turn, since you wanted to reserve it for evasion or for positioning the goo. With his low range, that felt quite punishing, since the only ranged option is Fling which I often found to be of situational use. Flinging an enemy frontliner away during the first turns, or using it as a pseudo-root near a wall seemed like the most common use cases; so using it just to fill a turn slot where other skills didn't reach felt wasteful and often counter-productive. (For example, flinging a Nix back into fog of war seems awful.) Sprinting is OK but hurts your energy flow badly which I felt hurt Rask in particular more than most characters.

So, to sum up, getting ult quickly felt critical but I had a lot of difficulty pulling it off against spread out cat&mouse style teams, which in my experience was one of the most common scenarios.

I'm not quite sure what part I'm not getting, so I turn to you folks who have been in beta longer than I: Is there some playstyle or mod loadout that improves Rask's value, or is he just underwhelming at the moment?

Again, I am fairly new, so this is genuinely curious, not asking for any sort of changes (yet.) Thanks.

Rask is consider to be a top tier frontliner by most of the more experienced members of the community. He has knockbacks, dashes, large melee range, and very high effective health. His cooldowns are also considerably lowered since they reset on his ult. Dashing turn 2 is generally not a reliably good tactic. Most of your frustrations are typical counter play for melee champions and Rask and Asana are probably the two strongest tanks at the moment.

As far as mod you can take a look at this guide my team trash, but keep in mind some of the mods used have been removed since this guide was created:

https://www.atlasreactorgame.com/en/...aches-tactics/

Is he still considered top tier after the nerfs? I've only played him a little recently, but I really felt the nerfs. (Same with Grey's range reduction.)

Founder
    I honestly only fight with Rask... I'm not the greatest at controlling him, but my goal here in Atlas Reactor is to fight the best I can with him...

Yes Rask is still top tier in my humble opinion. He still has all the tools needed for a great frontliner.
    - Good primary attack width (only second to asana),
    - a free to choose dash (no restriction on direction, which allows you to dodge a lot of damage while still remaining in the fight [never dash into a fight, walk into one and then use the dash to stay in the fight while avoiding damage]),
    - a cc ability (knockback the best one),
    - a defensive ability in form of a heal (it even is permanent [instead of a 1 turn shield])
    and finally a ultimate that resets all his cooldowns (the only lancer that has this!)

Generally a lot of newer players are confused about the role of a frontliner, it's not taking all the damage and then dying.
    It*s about giving vision to your team, disrupting the enemy (knockbacks) staying alive while avoiding damage.

What how why? There is actually this league called Prep Phase which has some of the best players of AR participating. I would suggest watching some of the Season Final Tournament Matches to get a better picture. But yeah Rask most definitly still one of the 2 best Frontliners. If you have further questions you can just pm me or ask sepheal (a coach in the AR discord) or watch more videos!
    #NerfAsana #NerfGrey Trash

To start, I wouldn't focus on the damage part of his ult. Think of that as a bonus. The real benefit of his ult are his resets.
    Make sure you are popping all your cooldowns before your ult so you get insta-resets.

He is a tanky damage type. But you always want to focus mostly on survival over damage. Your dash is on a 4 turn cooldown, which isn't bad.
    You can go in, **** up their day, knock them back and slow them, just be annoying..and then dash out (while doing damage) )to recover. You rarely want to dash in.

I see a lot of Rasks just charging in on turn 1 and starting the game with half health too. That is pretty bad. Choose your fights and try to disrupt their backline by flanking.

Quote Originally Posted by Wollelol View Post
    Yes Rask is still top tier in my humble opinion. He still has all the tools needed for a great frontliner.
    *snip*
    But yeah Rask most definitely still one of the 2 best Frontliners. If you have further questions you can just pm me or ask sepheal (a coach in the AR discord) or watch more videos!
    I do get that it's never a "role" to take damage. I've played my fair share of DotA, and I'm quite glad the devs have chosen to label the set of melee characters as "frontliners" instead of "tanks." I have actually been on the writing end of "Soaking damage is not a role" many times.

That said, I guess the thing I'm having the hardest time wrapping my head around are
    1) Seeing Fling as a strong asset. A great deal of the time, I feel I'd rather have a root (especially one with higher damage and better available mods, like certain purple women have), and I almost always feel I'd rather have a pull than a push (Rampart hook.) The pincer positioning seemingly needed to make this skill higher value than the other two doesn't seem to come up much. The part I DO understand is that trap combos are going to be more common and easier to execute in the setting of a communicating 4-man team.
    2) Energy game. This is the one I didn't feel was addressed in the comments so far. Hitting more than two ults in a game feels entirely in the enemies' hands, not mine (based on how tight they spread.)
    3) I get that cooldown reset is a good mechanic, but Regeneration has an artificially inflated CD in the first place which essentially negates this, and see above for my thoughts on Fling. The dash reset is flat-out great though.

So, perhaps someone could focus on those points in particular? Perhaps I asked for this by leading off with "new player," but my concerns were slightly more specific than not knowing his intended role. Sorry if I misrepresented that point, but thanks for the feedback thus far.

+ Reply to Thread