+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to obtain more freelancers?

Hybrid View

How to obtain more freelancers?

I played the game back in alpha and loved it and managed to get a few friends into to who also enjoyed the game, but now that I'm coming back to Atlas Reactor in beta and trying out all the new changes, there is one thing that I can't seem to find any info on.

Can free-mode players ever unlock freelancers permanently?

Back in alpha you could unlock freelancers one at a time like in any F2P game. This appears to have changed (unless I missed something, which god I hope I did). If free-mode players can no longer unlock freelancers permanently and have to rely on whatever the weekly free rotation is, I'm afraid that's a massive deal breaker for me and my friends. Atlas Reactor is obviously a game that fits the F2P model, so I think it's absolutely ridiculous that the two options available that I can find right now are "you are stuck as a slave to free week rotation and can never unlock anyone" and "pay once to unlock everyone forever". Two extreme ends of the spectrum with no middle ground.

Could someone please tell me if these are the only two options, or if there is currently a way that I missed to unlock more freelancers as a free-mode player. It would also be fine if the ability to unlock freelancers one at a time is only temporarily disabled and will be added back in later.

Quote Originally Posted by Falzarr View Post
    I played the game back in alpha and loved it and managed to get a few friends into to who also enjoyed the game, but now that I'm coming back to Atlas Reactor in beta and trying out all the new changes, there is one thing that I can't seem to find any info on.

Can free-mode players ever unlock freelancers permanently?

Back in alpha you could unlock freelancers one at a time like in any F2P game. This appears to have changed (unless I missed something, which god I hope I did). If free-mode players can no longer unlock freelancers permanently and have to rely on whatever the weekly free rotation is, I'm afraid that's a massive deal breaker for me and my friends. Atlas Reactor is obviously a game that fits the F2P model, so I think it's absolutely ridiculous that the two options available that I can find right now are "you are stuck as a slave to free week rotation and can never unlock anyone" and "pay once to unlock everyone forever". Two extreme ends of the spectrum with no middle ground.

Could someone please tell me if these are the only two options, or if there is currently a way that I missed to unlock more freelancers as a free-mode player. It would also be fine if the ability to unlock freelancers one at a time is only temporarily disabled and will be added back in later.
    No, you cannot unlock additional freelancers. The games uses the same model as Overwatch. You have to buy it, but in return, you can even unlock (almost) every cosmetic item without paying any additional money.

Quote Originally Posted by Varonth View Post
    No, you cannot unlock additional freelancers. The games uses the same model as Overwatch. You have to buy it, but in return, you can even unlock (almost) every cosmetic item without paying any additional money.
    Thank you for clarifying. I assumed that was the case, but for a turn based game with average graphics, a limited character roster, quite a number of bugs/design issues (yes I know it's beta still and many of those issues will be fixed, but by then the price will also go up), and nowhere near as many features as most F2P games, Atlas Reactor just doesn't feel worth the money. It has less content than most F2P games do at launch and a similar amount of content compared to most "pay once to play forever" games (e.g. Overwatch) but on a much lower budget and with many more issues.

I guess I shouldn't have held much hope for a game with Trions name on it since they all end up as good games that get held down by a bad payment model. Oh well, there will always be more games. I'll keep an eye out in case the payment model changes at some point since I really do enjoy the game, but for now, Atlas Reactor is down 4 players since my friends and I all agree the game should operate on a F2P model and are not willing to pay a lump sum to unlock all content.

But to those of you who aren't as picky and cheap as us, have fun playing!

Quote Originally Posted by Falzarr View Post
    ... since my friends and I all agree the game should operate on a F2P model and are not willing to pay a lump sum to unlock all content.

But to those of you who aren't as picky and cheap as us, have fun playing!
    It is an interesting question/dilemma ... the whole which payment model to use ...

I do understand the concept of a the whole f2p model meaning you get the whole game but the trade off for that then usually means that a lot of cosmetic stuff or time investment needed is scaled pretty badly ... the alternative (which AR has chosen) is to offer the game as a b2p model BUT you essentially get access to ALL cosmetic stuff for free ...

I play SMITE and that works on the first model, yes you can play the game and unlock all characters for free ... never have to drop a dime on the game ... as some people take that route (though clearly it is good that not ALL players do that as games would not exist if they did) but the trade off is that a lot/most cosmetic stuff is buy to use and the speed at which you will be able to access all characters is very slow ...

The simple fact is, is that AR will actually cost me a lot less in the long run than a game (and payment model) like SMITE. I've dropped a lot more cash into SMITE simply because I wanted things quicker or or wanted particular cosmetic stuff.

I guess that's what you've got to decide ... will I ever think about spending money on a game in the long run 9to get access to things not available for free to to get things quicker) versus pay 1 fee now and get (virtually) everything ...

You may be feeling duped, imagine how people will feel if they paid for the game and then freeloaders like you and your friends get a comparable experience free of charge. It may be free mode but this is not a free to play game and yet you expect it to work like one still. That's not reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Groovejet View Post
    You may be feeling duped, imagine how people will feel if they paid for the game and then freeloaders like you and your friends get a comparable experience free of charge. It may be free mode but this is not a free to play game and yet you expect it to work like one still. That's not reasonable.
    How do you think people like me who bought a Trust Founder pack while the game was F2P feel right now? That's the exact same thing...

Hi there Falzarr,

this subject has been (and will be) discussed a lot. I've started to play as a Free mode player as well and then experienced the system change (to worse, in my opinion). Even tho i now have the full game, i still think the free mode is a bit too much punishing and need to change, so the game attracts more players. A strategic game can't restrict players in their own strategic choices, thats simply not fair gameplay. If i'd be in your position, don't give up all your hope, take a look on Atlas Reactor like once a month... the system might change again, it is still in closed beta. I can also send you and your friends a referral link i have, because of full account. That link will unlock the full game for you for 7 days. It is not much, but you know, at least for a try =) Send me a private message if you would like to.

Have a nice day =)

+ Reply to Thread