+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: Why Trion Worlds’ Atlas Reactor is the latest online game to say no to free-to-play

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexG2 View Post
    If I put € 10 on the game during the open beta, the official departure day game, I will have the full game? or will remain a free?
    The lowest pack is currently $20 it will be $30 after the 30th (Servers go down 26th-30th)

  2. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyratio View Post
    Just an FYI
    Smite. They're completely free to play.
    Actually here is where you are wrong, sure in free to play games like smite you can get everything for free, however there are micro transactions that allow you to by-pass the traditional rng way of playing f2p. This could be counted as p2w as you can get both skins and characters day 1. With Atlas Reactor you have the free to play/demo/play before you buy where they give a set amount of free lancers that you can play on rotation to see if it is your kind of game. If you like it enough you can buy one of the 3 packages depending on how much you want or how much you want to support the devs. Games are never free.

  3. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    19
    Wait, 2 sec... The latest online game saying no to free to play? You're sure? That's strange, because I heard Overwatch is totally p2p, with no demo version, which is also an online game. And I also saw another online game style TPS moba (Not smite, another one I forgot about the name as I didn't keep track), and yet, paying as well. I'm sure we can find many more now and in the future...

    You guys should stop we will live in a free world where everything is free to play...

  4. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    24
    According to interviews with PJu and the Studio, the Buy to Play decision was made based on the resources and mechanics they wanted to support in this game. The possibility for a player to focus on being a good team member, instead of having to grind and unlock plaint basic resources (like freelancers) was meant to be kept.
    Furthermore a Buy to Play setup keeps most of the harassment away. Imagine someone breaking community guidelines and getting banned in a Free to Play game - all they'd have to do is create a new account to be able to play again. With having to actually purchase the game you'd be putting resources of yours at risk when breaking important rules and guidelines. You'd overthink it twice. Hence a Buy to Play system works better for communities you want to keep fair and save.
    Of course there will always be people deciding to be unsportsmanlike in any way you can think of, but a system like AR has so far - even with the Free Mode - keeps it at a minimum.

  5. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by skyman5667 View Post
    Actually here is where you are wrong, sure in free to play games like smite you can get everything for free, however there are micro transactions that allow you to by-pass the traditional rng way of playing f2p. This could be counted as p2w as you can get both skins and characters day 1. With Atlas Reactor you have the free to play/demo/play before you buy where they give a set amount of free lancers that you can play on rotation to see if it is your kind of game. If you like it enough you can buy one of the 3 packages depending on how much you want or how much you want to support the devs. Games are never free.
    ...Dude. Microtransactions are literally ALL, as in every single one of them, cosmetic.. you can't by-pass rng in anyway in Smite m8... I just don't see how getting a cosmetic item says it's p2w? You can unlock every playable character in Smite for free. Seriously. There is no RNG in Smite that you can pay to get.

  6. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    8
    I am completely OK with this model. My daughter plays for free and can't figure out why I have access to all the freelancers all the time--BWAHAHAHA!!

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1
    I started playing Heroes of the Storm a little more than a month ago, and have not spent any human money on it. Entirely by grinding, I have unlocked ranked mode and am unlocking heroes at a decent rate. The only things not unlockable by simply playing are mounts, skins, stimpacks (faster XP and gold), and the like. Faster XP and gold don't make you win more easily, just make unlocking heroes faster.

    This is relevant, because HotS got me interested in trying Atlas Reactor. I've played Rift (used to sub) and Devilian, and decided to support Trion by purchasing Atlas Reactor since it is such a good challenging strategy-based arena fighting game and makes sense as a purchase-to-play, since it is more challenging and less appealing to casual play than other battle arena type games.

  8. #18
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyratio View Post
    Just an FYI
    Smite. They're completely free to play.
    That actually isn't completely true. When you start playing Smite you have a rotation of free gods weekly, similar to AR's free mode. Its only when you start earing ingame currency that you can start buying other gods but that takes quite a lot of time and most people I played with bought the God pack (gives you access to every god, quite similar to ARs founder pack). And even when you have the God pack most of the skins and other customizations (not counting the recolors) have to be bought with $$. AR gives you access to customizations just by playing the game.
    I find the model of AR is better for "serious" play since you won't get bunch of free accounts trolling on purpose (unless someone is rich and really, really wants to troll the games)

  9. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    3
    This game should be a free 2 play, otherwise it waits for fate of Battleborn/Evolve.
    At least enter the price correction in view of the region, because now the price is very high.

  10. #20
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    28

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by DKZombie View Post
    This game should be a free 2 play, otherwise it waits for fate of Battleborn/Evolve.
    At least enter the price correction in view of the region, because now the price is very high.
    The devs of this game have a very good reason for the b2p model, and it will not have the same fate as the games stated above. Making a game is not free they have to get money from somewhere. This is problem number one with making a game, number two is how to create a growing and caring community in cases like online games. There are reasons for most free to play games having micro transactions with some even crossing the pay to win border, this is all to gain some sort of money to insert into paying the devs, the software, the space they use, ect. if you think that this game needs to be f2p for it to survive your sadly mistaken.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts