+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Why Trion Worlds’ Atlas Reactor is the latest online game to say no to free-to-play

Quote Originally Posted by AlexG2 View Post
    If I put € 10 on the game during the open beta, the official departure day game, I will have the full game? or will remain a free?
    you will own the full game, reply is a little late now thou

I swear everyone who responds to me has never played Smite. First of all, it's REALLY not that tedious to earn in game currency. They give you about 4~6 free gods+ the Gods you start with+ Usually skins with them. Then, the constant events for F2P players giving Gems, the weekly logging in for gems, etc, You can get the bought currency fairly easily. Sure, it may take you longer than a few clicks, but it's done WHILE you play the game. Why play the game if you don't LIKE to play the game? Another thing, much more than just recolors can be bought with ingame currency i.e emotes, avatars, and Gold~Diamond skins. The only time you see anyone trolling is in low elo matches, yeah. I understand that's bad for beginners, but Smite is fixing that. :P Finally, seriously. You can play and earn every. Single. Character. In the whole game. As in you can play the WHOLE GAME, NO P2W AT ALL, for free. They make their money from people who wanna support them, people who like the skins/voice packs/etc, and people who just feel like buying all the Gods over earning them. AR could go and do the same thing, be much bigger, and probably do better. It's a much smarter long term plan over what they're doing right now, when Overwatch is still new in the scene. This game can't stand up to games like that in it's current state, and it needs to accept that. Go the smarter way, and survive. I want to see this game come to it's finishes state and be awesome and LAST. Not see Glyph just make more money off a game and see it die. I hope most people who are trying to get them to go this route are thinking the same way I am, if not and you're just saying "Ehhh I don't wanna pay cause I'm stingy or a child" To bad. Get a better reason.

The game is going well as-is. The devs experimented with free-to-play and decided it wasn't viable, and that this model was a better option. Overwatch is comparable, but in a manner which looks favourably on AR, since Overwatch has ZERO access for free players, instead of merely limited access. Also, Overwatch is double the price of Atlas Reactor, making the current price point much more of a positive than a negative in that comparison.

I have heard a suggestion for a change which I thought was a good option, though. Keep the current $30 price point, but ALSO allow players to buy the game in 3 pieces. For $10, you can unlock a character. For another $10, you unlock a second, and then when you pay the last $10, you automatically upgrade to full access.

I don't think this is needed, but it seems like a good option for those who want a cheaper way to get permanent access to that one character the want most. The $10 price point is a little high for a single character compared with many other games, so maybe it could be a $10 first character unlock, then at the $20 mark you unlock 3 characters. Keep the $30 all freelancers option, of course. More tiers could also work - $5 per freelancer, unlocking up to 5 before getting full access.

I think the current model is very good. If you understand how the industry and business in general works, you will know they will need funds in order to continue making their game. The current model allows people to get the experience of playing a game above demo level. You could in theory play for free and be completely happy and have fun as long as you don't mind the champ rotations. If you enjoy the game and would like to see it continue and improve, then buy it.

Others are making comparisons to other games like smite. There is a problem with this comparison. Atlas reactor is technically a new sub-genre of MOBA. Smite started following the same business model of games like LoL that had proven successful. The closest thing atlas reactor can be pointed to is games like xcom, and there are glaring differences that invalidate even such a comparison. The current model is the best at to get people trying the game while also supporting its development.

Yes I like free games, but understanding how the industry works and business in general, I do not mind "investing" into a game I want to continue

What strikes me the most is how many people claim this game is going to fail because it has restrictions on free access.
    If you ask me the game has alot of support from their playerbase and i'm pretty sure Trion hit jackpot with AR, although i obviously have no clue how much they spend on developping and maintaining the game so i could be wrong here.
    But just looking at my friends list, a large majority play ranked so most of them purchased a copy and none of them have any regrets.

I say good for them, they deserve it for pushing the boundaries on future turn-based strategy games.
    Also the more money they make the more they can use it to invest and make the game even better.
    Eventually they might be able to remove restrictions on F2P altogether and just focus on cosmetics.
    When the hype settles down and they see a decline in the playerbase this can give it a new boost to bring in even more players and increase it's lifespan.

But to think there are actually people who would rather see microtransactions to buy a couple of skins instead of just purchasing the game and unlocking all current and future content absolutely baffles me.
    Prepare to be impressed

+ Reply to Thread