+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How not to win (a short note on etiquette)

Lightbulb How not to win (a short note on etiquette)

Hopefully most of this is obvious to almost everyone here, but because I encountered some intra-team soreness today for the first time, I thought I'd mention it.

99.9% of the time, I will diligently do my best to win any given match that I'm in. Now I'll be the first to admit that I'm probably not as masterful at the game as some folks who have been playing it longer, but you know, everyone sucked at it at some point, and I'm learning. I still promise I'll give it my best effort, win or lose.

About that other 0.1%, though: There is one almost sure way to ensure that I will do whatever I can to ensure that my team loses a game, and that is to gripe and complain, criticizing my actions during a game.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I mind someone saying something like, "Hey, when your health is that low, the heal catalyst won't really help. You should teleport instead." That's actually moderately helpful. But you know what's not helpful at all? Something like, "Why did you heal? Your gonna die anyway, you just wasted your cata."

If you're under the impression that your comments are actually bothering me, you're grossly mistaken. I've been playing online games since there were such things, and I've dealt with all kinds of trolls. At best, I'm thinking, "Whatever." And after two or three snarky comments, it's AMAZING just how dumb I'll all of a sudden get at playing. I'll stand out in open getting killed two or three times, I'll start "forgetting" to lock in my maneuver, I'll charge across mines and through energy walls with abandon, and best of all, since you're now blocked, I don't have to listen to your interminable angst at having such a moron on your team.

So next time you're playing and someone does something that doesn't meet your high standard of approval for acceptable game play, please remember that this is just a game to me. I'm under no impression that I'll be at the World Atlas Reactor Championship Games some day. I consider myself a mediocre player (slightly better than 50/50, woot!), but because of contracts, I might be playing a Freelancer I've never tried before, or maybe I've just found that a different strategy works for me but it doesn't work well with yours. Whatever the case, Being a friendly guy who loves making new friends, if you're nice to me, we'll get along great. Even if we lose horribly, I'll tell you, "Hey, it's all good, better luck next time."

But if you're under the mistaken impression that making snarky comment about how awful your teammates are will prod them to suddenly start playing just how you'd like, just be forewarned that it's an almost guaranteed way for me to demonstrate some of my lesser effective battle tactics and screw up your precious win ratio.
    Administrator of the Titan Network

Yep, x1000.

And I'll sit here and smile like the Cheshire Cat while you rage at me impotently.

People like you are worse than the flamers. I look forward to the report feature so I can report y'all for intentionally feeding. There ARE other people on your team, y'know.

wow OP, you're almost as edgy as my favourite butter knife. way to go.
    The one thing that could cause cowboys and Indians to join forces is their mutual enemy: dinosaurs.

feel like this guy has to be kidding us. I think he is just disguising his real purpose with long messages, getting some SEO links for his websites from a high potential site like this kind of forums are , since he already advertised one on another post, he has one on the signature, and also if you left click on his name has it there one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatsker View Post
    ...getting some SEO links for his websites from a high potential site like this kind of forums are , since he already advertised one on another post, he has one on the signature, and also if you left click on his name has it there one too.
    Since you brought it up, full disclosure here. The reason I post those links is because I've been a very active and vocal member of the City of Heroes community for a long time, running its most popular and long-lasting fan sites (which are still running, even after the game shut down in 2012), and I've been working to bring some former CoH players over to this community. The links are primarily to identify myself so that if anyone is wondering, "Hey, I wonder if that's the same TonyV from the Titan Network?", they'll know that yes, it is.

I strongly suspect that no one who is unfamiliar with the City of Heroes community would follow the links, as they'd be completely unfamiliar with what the Titan Network is. But if you do, please note that there is no advertising on the site, and there are exactly zero trackers, analytics widgets, or third-party scripts of any kind except a Twitter feed of our account and a PayPal donation button for those so inclined. I have hosted the sites since 2005 mostly out of my own pocket and turned down offers to purchase the sites by people who wanted to commercialize them. I actually avoid SEO gimmicks in favor of trying to get people the information they want without any frills. Notice how my signature is simply, "Administrator of the Titan Network", not something jammed with buzzwords or search terms to boost my traffic.

So if you want to pop by and say hello, by all means, come on by. We're a friendly bunch, and even though our game is shut down, we still welcome new folks who want to be part of our gaming community. But if you're under the impression that I'm trying to drive a lot of traffic to our sites for the sake of profit or other nefarious motivations, I assure you that that's not the case.

As for the other replies, if it really bothers you that I take an active stance against people who I believe are an active detriment to the interests of the game, this will help to ease your mind:
    /block TonyV#8078

No hard feelings, you're free to deal with the situation however you choose, and I'll continue dealing with it the way I choose, and we'll never have to worry about running into each other. Meanwhile, the other 99.9% of the time...
    Administrator of the Titan Network

Do you know what would go a long way to "solve" this issue? Having /block work on Team chat. Block has no effect on Team chat right now, which is a serious oversight considering they were going to remove All chat completely due to similar problems.

you can type out long-winded replies all you want, buddy, it won't mean a thing until you give me (and anyone else reading this) one good reason why acting for the detriment of your team just because someone stepped on your ego is a good thing and should be tolerated, if not promoted.

after all, as an "online game veteran", you probably know that willful nonparticipation and/or sabotaging your team's play is against the code of conduct in any civilised online pvp game. often a bannable offense.
    The one thing that could cause cowboys and Indians to join forces is their mutual enemy: dinosaurs.

I've rarely seen a game that bans someone for feeding intentionally. Punished? Yes, but not banned (unless you are using the terms as one).

Just don't grief. Seems simple enough. I mean OP is intentionally throwing, true, but when people get tilted by griefers, doesn't that also throw the games in general? If you are titled it means you are focusing more on typing in chat and raging at your teammate(s) rather than playing the game, so whether intentional or not, the game is thrown.

I've learned in mobas that you are only in control of yourself. Trying to get others to conform to your playstyle or giving people snarky advice/criticism based on your own biases often lead to bad things rather than good. Just don't grief- focus on your own actions. Be happy

Quote Originally Posted by TonyV View Post
    Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I mind someone saying something like, "Hey, when your health is that low, the heal catalyst won't really help. You should teleport instead." That's actually moderately helpful.
    Only moderately helpful? Sounds like really good advice to me ...

Quote Originally Posted by TonyV View Post
    But you know what's not helpful at all? Something like, "Why did you heal? Your gonna die anyway, you just wasted your cata."
    Not useful at all?

To be brutally honest, they kinda some like the same piece of advice to me and both sound quite helpful. Perhaps you're not good at taking sound advice? Don't get me wrong, a lot of people (maybe the majority?) are really bad at taking constructive criticism.

Do you want to know the funny thing ... I've had people say the second phrase to me a lot over my 3-4 years of MOBA's and whenever I've replied with "Oh .. thanks, that's good advice, do you have any other tips?" ... Almost 100% of the time I get a really good dialogue going with other useful tips.

I believe people are actually trying to help but they just get frustrated (much like it seems you get frustrated when you get given advice or constructive criticism) and tell you in perhaps the not so perfect way. But give them the opportunity to continue to help, defuse their frustration by not getting frustrated yourself and see what happens ... you might be surprised.

Or maybe just realize the problem is actually with you and you don't like taking advice or constructive criticism ... some people just don't.

+ Reply to Thread