+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Click here to go to the first Atlas Reactor Team post in this thread.   Thread: So let's talk about turn 1

Quote Originally Posted by Willibuster View Post
    We made a change that disabled abilities on turn 1.

We did this to reign in the advantages that certain lancers could get by using long range traps or friendly effects that generate energy. While interesting, many of these strategies had very little downside.

After playing with this change for a bit, we think it has made the game healthier, but it has also made turn 1 less fun.

What do you guys think? Are there some things you'd like to see us try with turn 1?
    I personally like the idea of Turn 1 being nothing but a move phase. Energy generation is a big aspect of meta/top tier play, with the likelyhood of stall tactics, this Turn 1 change kinda balances out/deters from spawn sitting.
    www.twitch.tv/Aodan

Twitter: @AodanTwitch

As someone who played since the alpha sneak peak, I have to say I like the pre-restricted turn 1 better, as traps/delayed damage was always a present threat and people had to give more thought to where they'd move. For the skill users, the risk of doing no damage or having them unavailable for the next few turns when you actually have sight of opponents and therefore, a higher chance of doing damage, also keeps turn 1 as strategic and challenging as any other turn.

Aside from that, I agree with the current changes that keep supports from generating energy on turn 1

outsider view... I never played with turn 1 being open to anything, and I felt nothing bad about it just being movement only..and I am very verbal if things are good or not... so no reason to change it from what it is IMO

Add Lore-Based Communication Between Allies and Enemies

I really hope people are still reading this far into the thread.

I agree wholeheartedly with Wolfbrand. A lot of people point out that there are lore disconnects in MOBA's where people from the same faction or alliance (or in this case, trust) are fighting one another. If situations like this were actually acknowledged in Atlas Reactor, the lore could have even more depth.

I agree that, as Wolf said, people who often work together should talk to each other in the first turn. I think that this could be expanded to enemies as well. A sort of radio filter could be put over communication between people from opposite teams so that immersion isn't completely broken.

Example Scenarios:

1) Lockwood and Zuki vs. enemy PuP:
    Lock: "Zuki, PuP's gone haywire. We gotta shut it down."
    (Possible Zuki dialogue, but I'm not that creative)
    PuP growls

2) Lockwood vs. enemy Zuki
    Zuki: "How could you turn on us like that Lockwood? We were getting so close..."
    Lockwood: "Sorry hon, these guns go where the money goes. You should've known that."

There could also be unique quotes when a certain 'lancer is killed by another. Example:

Zuki killed by Lockwood: "Lockwood, why..."

What do you guys think?

I really like the fact that we can't act on turn one. It forces your team to focus on positioning rather than using any skills possible to not "waste" the turn. Granted I joined after the change. I don't think I would have stuck with the game if every first turn was just people going through the first turn motions. The first turn movement phase just gives everyone a chance to take everything in, plus it's a lot more exciting when everyone moves on their first turn and then turn two all hell breaks loose. That feeling of your moves unlocking and being able to actually do something is more satisfying. I think it would be more disappointing to have moves on the first turn and them be useless, than to just have everyone wait a turn and provide the opportunities for shots in the dark, pulling people out of position, etc. on the next turn.

6.   Click here to go to the previous Atlas Reactor Team post in this thread. This is the last Atlas Reactor Team post in this thread.   #46
    Thanks everyone. This has been very helpful as we work on updating spawn and respawn turns.

I only started playing during this free week, so I missed out on the experience, of the randomness, of what it was before.

I wondered why turn one played like the opening of a chess game and then the entire rest of the game was bat**** random. It's such a stark contrast.

Personally, it's a pain in the *** to play Elle:

Turn 1) Move
    Turn 2) Overcharge ( which yet again locks out all of her other skills ).
    Turn 3) Do useful stuff

If "energy gain" and "traps" were deemed the problem, just disable energy gain & traps for 1 turn? * shrugs * Blanket nerfs just seem lazy.

As a side tangent, I'd like to see procedural map generation - I mean... do you really want to play on a perfectly symmetrical map every single time?

Maybe this time around, what was a stealth pad became a floor tile. Maybe a piece of cover that was connected to a wall is gone. Maybe there's a break in the wall. To get a feel for what I'm saying, play Invisible Inc.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/243970

Quote Originally Posted by Willibuster View Post
    We made a change that disabled abilities on turn 1.

We did this to reign in the advantages that certain lancers could get by using long range traps or friendly effects that generate energy. While interesting, many of these strategies had very little downside.

After playing with this change for a bit, we think it has made the game healthier, but it has also made turn 1 less fun.

What do you guys think? Are there some things you'd like to see us try with turn 1?
    I've read some, but not all of the responses on this, so I apologize if i repeat something someone else has already pointed out.
    In my opinion, I much prefer the way it is now. It seems smoother, and as someone did mention, less affected by RNG.

I only have a single suggestion.
    It would be to effectively add a single turn to the game and rename the first turn to something different. "Prep Turn" or "Mobility Go!" or something. So you'd have that turn, and 20 turns of gameplay instead of the one-turn-of-meh-19-turns-of-awesome we have now.

+ Reply to Thread