+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Atlas Reactor Team post in this thread.   Thread: So let's talk about turn 1

I like the changes. RNG should not be a part of turn 1. Initial positioning should dictate the pace of the game instead of no information guesses and starting formation energy gain.

A very welcome change that makes positioning in the early game much more interesting.

Well, for my concern, i think turn 1 is turn 1 (!) so it is a full played turn. As simple as that.
    If not, let's say the match begins at turn 3, mayby 5. Of course i emphasis, but, turn 1 is the first turn. And like in chess, some pieces can move and others can't. In atlas some character can use usefull skills and other can't.
    I like the game design of course, but i think it is a shy decision. Maybe you could give haste or whatever else for the first turn to make it more interesting than a 1-click-wait turn.
    But after all, you have the statistics, so if you say the game is more balanced now. Ok why not.

++

great change. fixes a lot of the inherent balance issues & degenerate strategies that used to crop up from turn 1 abilities (rng stuff as mentioned here, helio black hole shenanigans, etc)

any given freelancer almost always took the same turn 1 action on a given map, so it's not like this removed much strategic thinking - most of the difficult turn 1 stuff involved movement anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Beric View Post
    I will try to explain again. Some characters got a little advantage and where using the same actions in the beginning of all matches. For example: I play Aurora, I do the same energy winning action in every game. Where is the strategy here?
    That goes for every skill. Most of the time the situation dictates what skill you have to use. Are you standing in the middle of a The Big One? Then you dash. Where's the strategy there?

Quote Originally Posted by Phi View Post
    any given freelancer almost always took the same turn 1 action on a given map, so it's not like this removed much strategic thinking
    You say that like people don't always take the same turn 1 action now. This changed nothing in that regard.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelmancer View Post
    You say that like people don't always take the same turn 1 action now. This changed nothing in that regard.
    that's what i said. it fixed issues without removing any real strategy, since your turn 1 was basically fixed anyway, so it's a good change

I never played before the change, however I -really- like how it is setup currently. I feel like there are many turn one positional plays and strategies created by not allowing abilities and only movement.

As some others have said, I don't think it makes turn 1 boring, and it seems rather engaging to really think and coordinate with your team with where you're going. Also mentioned was the ability for VO lines to be added in so the start isn't necessarily so quiet and it feels like there is more engagement/interaction.

Bottom line is: I think there are ways to fluff turn 1 without changing how it is currently set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfbrand View Post
    I don't feel that turn 1 needs to be "fun"
    I also dont feel that Turn 1 should be called a "turn". It has effectively removed 5% at minimum of the playable turns. Taking actions turn 1 in order to gain skill had downsides, it limited your movement and gave you less map control. Now since all lancers have full movement, every "turn 1" is boring and identical and is leading to more scripted helios/rask charge bot matches.

Now that I have no threat in turn 1 can camp the back more freely and wait for a chance to charge as Rask or Titus. This wasn't a strategy before because I could get fished out by any number of moves.

I'm so worried that the game will continue to get changed in more "safe" was that really do nothing but water down the gameplay in the longrun.

Opinions of turn 1 seem to vary wildly based on the level the player plays at. Higher level play seems to love it but the lower you go the more it seems to be hated.

+ Reply to Thread