+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Click here to go to the first Atlas Reactor Team post in this thread.   Thread: Why make this game a team game rather than 1v1?

Why make this game a team game rather than 1v1?

It seems like it would be much more enjoyable if you could control the entire team rather than having to coordinate among teammates. The developers are not using the unique advantage that turn based game play provides in that it is possible to control multiple characters. I just do not see why playing this as a team would be more enjoyable than Dota 2 or LoL where you can already experience team based game play in real time.

There are plenty of turn based 1v1 games out there, but this is the first good team-based one I've come accross. As you say, there are alot of real-time version out there, but not turn based. I personaly find it a lot more enjoyable being able to play a single character and co-ordinate with a team. (Having said that, a freelancer that's actualy two seperately controlable characters would be pretty cool)

I disagree with 1v1 it would be interesting to have a mode for it and see if it becomes popular but i donthink it should be a priority everyone seems to be really enjoying 4v4

4.   This is the last Atlas Reactor Team post in this thread.   #4
    Reactor Team
    In early alpha we had access to custom game modes like you describe OP. Right now the focus is core gameplay, but they may return in the future.

I would love to see 2 game types in this game 4vs4 and 1vs1. 4vs4 is very unique and fun. If you can play with friends it is a lot of fun and 4 minds working on tactics with heroes like this makes exelent fast gameplay in turn based world. But since it is a strategic game i thing that 1vs1 should be in this too with longer preparation time. There is so much possible strategic moves in this game that makes it perfect for 1vs1 in my opinion but 4vs4 makes it even more fun if you can play with friends (4 heads are better than 1) but i can only imagine a lot of bad time with random players after opening this game to the world. I hope They'll add 1vs1 mode, it has so much potencial and would really help in future.

One interesting aspect of this game that is a benefit for some over traditional mobas:

- The mechanical skill has been removed. It is all about decision, not twitch reflexes. It allows for some players that may be overwhelmed by that amount of information and action in a moba to slow down and use their brain in a similarly pleasing way. This is crazy, simultaneous, team chess where there can be no Heroes that carry the team. It brings more of the essence of teamwork than any other game I've seen.

The system is unique. Which means it doesn't fall into the same constraints that traditional mobas do. There can be so many game modes that don't require much extra balancing due to the nature of this system. In the future, who knows, we might have an RTS style version of this game: 1 v 1, controlling different characters, with the ability to "tag in" new ones once one dies. Or a Pickup-and-deliver mode: there's a power core that you need to grab, control for long enough for it to charge, and then plug it into your base. meanwhile the enemy is trying to steal it from you and charge it to plug into their base. THE POSSIBILITIES ARE ENDLESS! woo. i love this game. I dont' think they've squandered any chances, they just chose to make a game that includes as many people as possible without being overwhelming.

I am excited to hear that a 1v1 mode may be a possibility in the future because I really enjoy the core game play and the character designs. I have been looking for a good 1v1 competitive tactics game ever since I came across Duelyst (I no longer play because I do not like the focus on decks and cards and the pixel art style seems to cause eye strain for me), but there does not seem to be many appealing options for this genre. I can't really see myself enjoying playing this as a team-based game because I would prefer playing in real time if I can only control one character, but I would be glad to jump back in if a 1v1 mode were to be added in the future.

if they go 1vs1 the game will take to long to finish 1 gameplay i think 4vs4 is better is fast pase gameplay. game s take only 15 to 20 min but 1vs1 if you control 4 character the game wil tripple time to finish a gameplay
    richt now we get like 30 sec to make desicion for our action for 1 character somtime even that is to fast so now you want to control 4 character so 4x 30sec is 2 min before your turn is over and plus the actions that 4 character have to make and ennemmy 4 character action time that is like 1 our 2 more min so totally around 3-4 min for every turn will take to long so lets say 3 min for each turn is 3x20 round is 60 min so 1 hour gameplay that is not good for this game it need to stay 15 to 20 min max to keep the fun in game and playing with four friend is so fun i love this game keep it on 4vs4 is the best way to go
    sorry for me english not good in it :P

Quote Originally Posted by Ocho View Post
    In early alpha we had access to custom game modes like you describe OP. Right now the focus is core gameplay, but they may return in the future.
    I think this game would have a much wider appeal if you guys added a 1v1 mode as well, not to say it wont succeed with its current 4v4, theres just so many interested chess like minds who would eat up being able to control all 4 characters. It would probably make a game take 30 minutes or so, but still I think it would be interesting.

Keep the 4vs4 but I do see were a 1 vs 1 could be enjoyable, but as a previous post said that makes for to long of a game. I like that pace of the game as is and even current que times were managable for this event. And even tho I can see after only playing 3 days the difference in someone brand new to the game from someone that has exp. under their belt it is managable.

+ Reply to Thread