PDA

View Full Version : Founder's Pack Updates and New Bundles

Muzzy
04-28-2016, 06:07 PM
As you’ve read in the Producer’s Letter (http://www.atlasreactorgame.com/en/2016/05/april-producers-letter/) we’re excited to bring you news about our path forward with Altas Reactor. Your overwhelmingly positive support and enjoyment of the game has not gone unnoticed and we’d like to say ‘thank you’ with a ton of additional rewards.

With Atlas Reactor transitioning to a premium digital game model we wanted to show our appreciation to those who have supported us already. As a result, if you have already bought $10 or more of in-game credits, or bought any of the current Founder’s packs, you now own the game and have access to all freelancers, forever! Those players that have access to the Closed Beta, but haven’t purchased anything, will continue to have access until Atlas Reactor launches.

In the next few weeks we’ll be offering some amazing new packs that will be replacing the Pre-Sale Founder’s Packs to fit better with the new "Buy-To-Play" model. If you’ve already purchased a Founder’s Packs, or make a purchase before the transition, you’ll be receiving some amazing new loot as our way of saying thanks for your support. These items haven't been added to the game yet, but once they are available they will be available to every eligible account.

The tables below include bundles, as well as what previous purchasers receive in green text.

New Bundles
Atlas Edition ($29.99 $19.99
Limited early price!)
Freelancer Edition ($59.99)
Trust Edition ($99.99)All Freelancers forever!All Freelancers forever!All Freelancers forever!Instant Beta AccessInstant Beta AccessInstant Beta AccessFounder's BannerZuki Moonwalker Skin
+ Zuki Taunt BundleExclusive "Golden Age" style
for all Freelancers foreverFounder's TitleRask Warforged Skin
+ Rask Taunt BundleZuki Moonwalker Skin
+ Zuki Taunt BundleTrove: Lil' PuP AllyAurora Voltaic Skin
+ Aurora Taunt BundleRask Warforged Skin
+
Rask Taunt BundleRift: Rampart's Shield and
Asana's SwordPuP Prototype Skin
+ PuP Taunt BundleAurora Voltaic Skin
+ Aurora Taunt BundleDefiance: Zuki's HelmetGrey Untamed Skin
+ Grey Taunt BundlePuP Prototype Skin
+ PuP Taunt BundleAccess to the Community RewardsGarrison Prototype Skin
+ Garrison Taunt BundleGrey Untamed Skin
+ Grey Taunt Bundle.Helio Moonwalker Skin
+ Helio Taunt BundleGarrison Prototype Skin
+ Garrison Taunt Bundle.Lockwood Unforgiven Skin
+ Lockwood Taunt BundleHelio Moonwalker Skin
+ Helio Taunt Bundle.GG Boosts x40Nix Loot Suit Skin
+ Nix Taunt Bundle.Mod Tokens x40Gremolitions Inc. Great War Skin
+ Gremolitions Inc. Taunt Bundle.Banner Pack x3Titus Untamed Skin
+ Titus Taunt Bundle.Founder's BannerRampart Centurion Skin
+ Rampart Taunt Bundle.Founder's TitleQuark Unobtanium Skin
+ Quark Taunt Bundle.Trove: Lil' PuP AllyAsana Hardlight Skin
+ Asana Taunt Bundle.Rift: Rampart's Shield and
Asana's SwordOz Jimmy Six Skin
+ Oz Taunt Bundle.Defiance: Zuki's HelmetElle Apocalyptic Skin
+ Elle Taunt Bundle.Access to the Community RewardsLockwood Unforgiven Skin
+ Lockwood Taunt Bundle..GG Boosts x60..Mod Tokens x60..Banner Pack x3..Founder's Banner..Founder's Title..Trove: Lil' PuP Ally..Rift: Rampart's Shield
and Asana's Sword..Defiance: Zuki's Helmet..Access to the Community Rewards

What we do for existing purchasers:
Access Pack ($9.99)
Starter Pack ($24.99)

Freelancer Pack ($59.99)

Trust Pack ($99.99)
Now get all
Freelancers forever!Now get all Freelancers forever!Now get all Freelancers forever!Now get all Freelancers forever!$10 in in-game credits$10 in in-game credits$30* in-game credits$50* in-game creditsInstant Beta AccessZuki Moonwalker Skin
+ Zuki Taunt BundleZuki Moonwalker Skin
+ Zuki Taunt BundleExclusive "Golden Age" Style for all Freelancers foreverFounder's BannerRask Warforged Skin
+ Rask Taunt BundleRask Warforged Skin
+ Rask Taunt BundleZuki Moonwalker Skin
+ Zuki Taunt BundleFounder's TitleAurora Voltaic Skin
+ Aurora Taunt BundleAurora Voltaic Skin
+ Aurora Taunt BundleRask Warforged Skin
+ Rask Taunt BundleTrove: Lil' PuP AllyLockwood Unforgiven Skin
+ Lockwood Taunt BundlePuP Prototype Skin
+ PuP Taunt BundleAurora Voltaic Skin
+ Aurora Taunt BundleRift: Rampart's Shield and Asana's SwordGG Boosts x30*Grey Untamed Skin
+ Grey Taunt BundleLockwood Unforgiven Skin
+ Lockwood Taunt BundleDefiance: Zuki's HelmetMod Tokens x30*Garrison Prototype Skin
+ Garrison Taunt BundlePuP Prototype Skin
+ PuP Taunt BundleAccess to the Community RewardsInstant Beta AccessHelio Moonwalker Skin
+ Helio Taunt BundleGrey Untamed Skin
+ Grey Taunt Bundle.Founder's BannerLockwood Unforgiven Skin
+ Lockwood Taunt BundleGarrison Prototype Skin
+ Garrison Taunt Bundle.Founder's TitleGG Boosts x70*Helio Moonwalker Skin
+ Helio Taunt Bundle.Trove: Lil' PuP AllyMod Tokens x70*Nix Loot Suit Skin
+ Nix Taunt Bundle.Rift: Rampart's Shield and Asana's SwordInstant Beta AccessGremolitions Inc.
Great War Skin
+ Gremolitions Inc.
Taunt Bundle.Defiance: Zuki's HelmetFounder's BannerTitus Untamed Skin
+ Titus Taunt Bundle.Access to the Community RewardsFounder's TitleRampart Centurion Skin
+ Rampart Taunt Bundle..Trove: Lil' PuP AllyQuark Unobtanium Skin
+ Quark Taunt Bundle..Rift: Rampart's Shield and Asana's SwordAsana Hardlight Skin
+ Asana Taunt Bundle..Defiance: Zuki's HelmetOz Jimmy Six Skin
+ Oz Taunt Bundle..Access to the Community RewardsElle Apocalyptic Skin
+ Elle Taunt Bundle...GG Boosts x200*...Mod Tokens x200*...Instant Beta Access...Founder's Banner...Founder's Title...Trove: Lil' PuP Ally...Rift: Rampart's Shield and Asana's Sword...Defiance: Zuki's Helmet...Access to the Community Rewards
*This is a total quanitity including the $10 in in-game credits, 10 GG boosts, or 10 Mod Tokens included with the original purchase.

We can’t express our appreciation enough for your exceptional support during the Closed Beta, but that won’t stop us from trying! We know this change will bring a myriad of questions, so please contact Customer Support (https://support.trionworlds.com/hc/en-us/articles/204400287). We’ll also see you on the livestream (http://twitch.tv/TrionWorlds) for a more personal approach to address your potential concerns.

We’re confident that the high-level improvements from this change will create an incredible experience and we can’t wait to show you more!

- Muzzy, Community Manager – Atlas Reactor

Kiwi
05-05-2016, 10:28 AM
You guys rock. ALL of you!
Best Producers letter ever!

#pjubombs4days

Simon The Bear Guy
05-05-2016, 11:21 AM
Damn that feels great to get all those stuff, but what do I do now with all the ISO? (Not trying to sound annoyed or anything, just curious)

Rifou
05-05-2016, 11:24 AM
That's nice ! :D
Will every pack buyer have their bonuses at the same time ? I know someone who already received his rewards but I did not, so I wonder. x)

Muzzy
05-05-2016, 11:35 AM
Damn that feels great to get all those stuff, but what do I do now with all the ISO? (Not trying to sound annoyed or anything, just curious)

We'll have plenty of ISO outlets! Mod Tokens, Taunts, Crafting Material Matrices, Master Styles and more.

Muzzy
05-05-2016, 11:37 AM
Will every pack buyer have their bonuses at the same time ? I know someone who already received his rewards but I did not, so I wonder. x)

The bonuses haven't been added to the game yet, but once they are available they will be available to every eligible account.

Fawlty
05-05-2016, 12:00 PM
RIP this game's player base. With a pay to play model the max possible player base for this type of game just dwindled drastically. I don't care that I got a "$30 game for $10." I'd much rather have people to play with. I know none of my friends will be even trying the game now.
In 6 months this game will be forced to go into a free to play model and at that point will probably be too late to bring in a large flux of players. It's incredibly rare for games to bounce back from a poor launch.

Bogden
05-05-2016, 12:06 PM
I'm sure you guys have had lengthy discussion and analysis of all the pros and cons of using a free-to-play versus a premium model, but I can't help but feel that this is an extremely risky decision to make in a market dominated by free-to-play games.

I'd love nothing more than to see Atlas Reactor thrive and grow in popularity, but keep in mind that the ability to enjoy this game is heavily influenced by the ability to play with a coordinated team of friends, and I hope that moving forward, you ensure there are ample, ample opportunities to easily play with friends who haven't yet purchased the game.

I totally understand that with fewer freelancers, it's harder to profitably monetize character and skin unlocking (like in LoL), but I do believe that free-to-play will ultimately yield a stronger and healthier player base than a premium model.

Blizzard is wrangling with a very similar issue with their decision to launch Overwatch as a premium game, but they can afford to lose out on a proportion of players simply due to their prominence and reputation in the gaming community. For better or worse, Trion simply doesn't have that reputation yet, and Atlas could ultimately fail to reach that "critical mass" of players needed to succeed with a premium model.

As tough as it may be to swallow, the path forward for becoming a successful and sustainable game (and business) may involve maintaining a free-to-play model, taking losses for several years while developing a much larger roster of freelancers to rival the number of champions or heroes in DotA or LoL.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks to all the Atlas Reactor team for being so deeply involved with the community!

Hacksaw76
05-05-2016, 12:31 PM
This is a bold move - but the game is good enough to warrant it. I have not played DOTA2 (3000+ hours logged) since I started AR.

As long as the game keeps getting better the community will grow. Hell, I have never advocated for a video game before and I am pimping AR on social media.

Have faith guys and keep spreading the love. This is the best move for the balance and gameplay and that is what keeps people coming back in the long run ;)

Xelluse
05-05-2016, 12:31 PM
Now matchfinder takes about 1-5 minutes to start game and you really think that for 29.99$ it will takes less time ? Don't think it's a good idea especially for MOBA style. Also from today I'm really sure that many players who was looking to try this game will not even touch it, it's a good game, but have very specific gameplay to be very popular even in TBS player base.

I'm sure you guys have had lengthy discussion and analysis of all the pros and cons of using a free-to-play versus a premium model, but I can't help but feel that this is an extremely risky decision to make in a market dominated by free-to-play games.

I'd love nothing more than to see Atlas Reactor thrive and grow in popularity, but keep in mind that the ability to enjoy this game is heavily influenced by the ability to play with a coordinated team of friends, and I hope that moving forward, you ensure there are ample, ample opportunities to easily play with friends who haven't yet purchased the game.

I totally understand that with fewer freelancers, it's harder to profitably monetize character and skin unlocking (like in LoL), but I do believe that free-to-play will ultimately yield a stronger and healthier player base than a premium model.

Blizzard is wrangling with a very similar issue with their decision to launch Overwatch as a premium game, but they can afford to lose out on a proportion of players simply due to their prominence and reputation in the gaming community. For better or worse, Trion simply doesn't have that reputation yet, and Atlas could ultimately fail to reach that "critical mass" of players needed to succeed with a premium model.

As tough as it may be to swallow, the path forward for becoming a successful and sustainable game (and business) may involve maintaining a free-to-play model, taking losses for several years while developing a much larger roster of freelancers to rival the number of champions or heroes in DotA or LoL.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks to all the Atlas Reactor team for being so deeply involved with the community!

Agree, Blizz really have huge reputation and $ to make Overwach enough profitable, but B2P will extremely cut player number by regions and will increase lobby waiting time, it's already in specific period impossible to find group to play with and don't think it will change after release. There are just some games that are B2P and have enough good online, like CS:GO for example, but Valve does quite huge sales (75-90%) that increases or locks player base in specific number. And I think that AR or will die or will one day go F2P anyway (hope I'm wrong).

Peekaboob
05-05-2016, 12:52 PM
I'm fine with whatever the developers think is reasonable and is not unreasonable. And this is reasonable.

My only concern, is unlocking characters is fun. It makes dailies fun. Unlocking other stuff isn't so great. So, long-term, giving everyone the freelancers seems like it will take away some of the incentive to play every day and do the dailies etc.

ZamboniChaos
05-05-2016, 01:05 PM

Hey everyone! Just wanted to provide an update from CS regarding this issue. We're working to get those bonuses active as soon as possible, and you should be seeing them on your accounts soon! For now, don't be alarmed if they aren't showing up on your account just yet, as we're still in the process of rolling this out. Thanks!

Firefly1
05-05-2016, 01:06 PM
RIP this game's player base. With a pay to play model the max possible player base for this type of game just dwindled drastically. I don't care that I got a "$30 game for $10." I'd much rather have people to play with. I know none of my friends will be even trying the game now.
In 6 months this game will be forced to go into a free to play model and at that point will probably be too late to bring in a large flux of players. It's incredibly rare for games to bounce back from a poor launch.

Lol calm down Debbie Downer, you're being so presumptuous about things.

eXeBR
05-05-2016, 01:26 PM
It was good while it lasted, farewell Atlas Reactor :(

EDIT: I want this game to be successful but I believe it will be harder to find a match when CBT ends. I hope I'm wrong but that's what usually happens...

Muzzy
05-05-2016, 01:56 PM
When I first heard about this plan I expressed the very same concerns. It started a large discussion, but we wouldn't have moved forward if we didn't have plans/solutions for this issue. I can give you a little insight into how we are addressing it, but some topics can't be discussed quite yet; Timing is everything.

We just put up our "coming soon" page on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/402570/)!

We plan on having Open Weekends and other forms of free events for players to jump in an experience it.

We are going to be implementing a "Refer a Friend" program soon that allows that friend to jump in and play for free for a limited time. Which means the more you get the word out there, the more you can directly help with the issues you are concerned with.

There are other plans as well, but as stated, we need to keep them quiet for now. Know that we hear AND understand your concerns regarding gating the community size behind a buy in. The discussions have been had and are even still happening in some ways. Thank you for caring enough to post, but realize that there are always plans that players won't know about immediately and often times those plans help to alleviate the stress behind these worries.

Muzzy

Famoso
05-05-2016, 01:58 PM
Now matchfinder takes about 1-5 minutes to start game and you really think that for 29.99$ it will takes less time ? Don't think it's a good idea especially for MOBA style. Also from today I'm really sure that many players who was looking to try this game will not even touch it, it's a good game, but have very specific gameplay to be very popular even in TBS player base.

Agree, Blizz really have huge reputation and $ to make Overwach enough profitable, but B2P will extremely cut player number by regions and will increase lobby waiting time, it's already in specific period impossible to find group to play with and don't think it will change after release. There are just some games that are B2P and have enough good online, like CS:GO for example, but Valve does quite huge sales (75-90%) that increases or locks player base in specific number. And I think that AR or will die or will one day go F2P anyway (hope I'm wrong).

I fully agree.

During the morning it is already difficult to find team and B2P will get even more difficult.
In another point of view, the B2P is good since it will prevent the entry into mass toxic players only spoil the community.
But from another point of view, many good players will not even look at the game just knowing that will have to buy. And another thing, as is the other regions of the world?
I for example live in Brazil, and many know that econimia here this garbage! and $ Dolar for us this very expensive ranging from x3 to x4 times.
So just imagine that 90% of Brazilian players will not even look at the game just knowing that will have to buy at a higher price 3x or x4.

To be cincero, I did not hate the idea of B2P, but I'm on the fence ..
Sorry for my terrible English.

fadedxlich
05-05-2016, 02:23 PM
When I first heard about this plan I expressed the very same concerns. It started a large discussion, but we wouldn't have moved forward if we didn't have plans/solutions for this issue. I can give you a little insight into how we are addressing it, but some topics can't be discussed quite yet; Timing is everything.

We just put up our "coming soon" page on Steam (http://store.steampowered.com/app/402570/)!

We plan on having Open Weekends and other forms of free events for players to jump in an experience it.

We are going to be implementing a "Refer a Friend" program soon that allows that friend to jump in and play for free for a limited time. Which means the more you get the word out there, the more you can directly help with the issues you are concerned with.

There are other plans as well, but as stated, we need to keep them quiet for now. Know that we hear AND understand your concerns regarding gating the community size behind a buy in. The discussions have been had and are even still happening in some ways. Thank you for caring enough to post, but realize that there are always plans that players won't know about immediately and often times those plans help to alleviate the stress behind these worries.

Muzzy

Nice changes. I actually really like this :)

MurderousRobot
05-05-2016, 02:35 PM
I fully agree.

During the morning it is already difficult to find team and B2P will get even more difficult.

I don't understand this point of view since the game is currently in a closed beta? Most of the players in the game now have bought a founder's pack, haven't they? Plenty of F2P games fail just as many B2P games fail, so I'm a bit surprised to see people jumping to the conclusion the game is doomed.

With Overwatch and Battleborn also being B2P I'm curious to see how this lineup pans out. While F2P has its place in the market I'm down for having some B2P options as well. Also keep in mind that if Atlas Reactor is coming to Steam that leaves it available for Steam Sales and Free Weekends which are both great for drumming up interest. I think this will help get the word out and keep the game humming along.

delor
05-05-2016, 02:49 PM
Although I prefer bought games to F2P games, generally, the whole "and future heroes" things makes me a bit nervous about where the money to keep the servers running and new content coming out is coming from. At least if they said "you'll get all of the heroes at launch and we'll sell cosmetics and extra heroes", you'd know where that money was coming from. Cosmetics alone seems a bit thin. I'd almost rather they said they'd charge for heroes so that I knew where the monetization was coming from in the future.

Plus, this change says to me that they're exiting testing with statistics that make them think that the average player will spend less than $20-30 on the game before losing interest, which isn't promising.

And, as other players have said- what does this mean for the player base they'll attract?

Oh well. My nervousness aside, they buy-to-play model is one I'd prefer personally and I'm still looking forward to playing more Atlas Reactor at launch. Hope this new business model works out for them and wish them best of luck for a successful launch. I've got my founders pack and look forward to playing some more.

Muzzy
05-05-2016, 03:01 PM
Although I prefer bought games to F2P games, generally, the whole "and future heroes" things makes me a bit nervous about where the money to keep the servers running and new content coming out is coming from. At least if they said "you'll get all of the heroes at launch and we'll sell cosmetics and extra heroes", you'd know where that money was coming from. Cosmetics alone seems a bit thin. I'd almost rather they said they'd charge for heroes so that I knew where the monetization was coming from in the future.

We are actually doing just that! Get the game and cosmetics are still purchasable.

Zoltariel
05-05-2016, 03:13 PM
Amazing. I love the new direction of the game's payment model. Thanks!

inflatable fish
05-05-2016, 04:33 PM
do you have an ETA for when the changes to founder pack goodies will go into effect? I've bought the $24.99 pack but am not seeing any of the associated bonuses (skins, taunts etc.) when I log in. the only change I'm seeing is the hero roster being fully unlocked.

edit: just read the whole thread, cba to rephrase the question :P

Bababaa
05-05-2016, 04:39 PM
Okay, I (sorta) posted this in the discord before realising this'd be a much better place.

I feel that if you're gonna go down this route it would be MUCH better to do the whole smite "god pack" thing (i.e. a one off pack you can buy that gives you access to all freelancers current and future), which is practicaly the same as the B2P model you're currently planing on except that you get to keep the F2P classification (and the large influx of players who will ONLY play F2P games)

I've heard NOTHING but praise for smite's god pack, and pretty much anyone who plays the game at all has it

Yet take, for example, the people who consider battleborn a MOBA, and I hear nothing but complaints about how people how to pay for a MOBA. You also hear a ton of complaints about any sort of addition purchase mechanism inside a B2P game (i.e. skins)

In conclusion: I'm worried that the B2P model will drive away a lot of people who only want to play F2P games, regardless of how much they actualy end up paying in the end, particularly when there is a slightly different model that allows the best of both worlds

Wolfenacht
05-05-2016, 04:41 PM
This really sucks... I've already asked for a refund of this game. $30 will end up killing this game easily, 10 bucks wouldn't be so bad, but the player base will fall drastically for 30 bucks. This means our queue times will just get worse, if that is even possible during this closed beta. This game had such potential and I love it, I got 5 of my friends into it, but no one else is going to jump into this game for 30, well most people won't. RIP AR.

Muzzy
05-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Please keep in mind that anyone with simple access to Closed Beta will continue to have access until the game launches. Founder's Pack purchases and anyone that got $10 or more in credit packs will own the game upon launch.

ropi
05-05-2016, 06:52 PM
Please keep in mind that anyone with simple access to Closed Beta will continue to have access until the game launches. Founder's Pack purchases and anyone that got $10 or more in credit packs will own the game upon launch.

So, if I purchase $10 next week I will own the game upon launch? Or is this exclusively for those who have spent $10 before this announcement?

Muzzy
05-05-2016, 07:00 PM
So, if I purchase $10 next week I will own the game upon launch? Or is this exclusively for those who have spent $10 before this announcement?

You can still purchase the founder's packs until mid next week.

Arkamenitas
05-05-2016, 08:08 PM
You can still purchase the founder's packs until mid next week.

So i get the founder pack is available for a few more days, but can you confirms specifically that even founder packs purchased AFTER this announcement still count for permanent ownership of the game?

Absolutely they do. That wouldn't make much sense otherwise. Any purchase of a pack/bundle gets you the game. It says so in the charts above.

spaghettidemon
05-05-2016, 09:32 PM
this is FREAKING awesome. the $100 bundle is legit now. thank you so much for showing your appreciation for early backers, you guys did it right!

Atharyia
05-05-2016, 09:44 PM
Okay, I (sorta) posted this in the discord before realising this'd be a much better place.

I feel that if you're gonna go down this route it would be MUCH better to do the whole smite "god pack" thing (i.e. a one off pack you can buy that gives you access to all freelancers current and future), which is practicaly the same as the B2P model you're currently planing on except that you get to keep the F2P classification (and the large influx of players who will ONLY play F2P games)

I've heard NOTHING but praise for smite's god pack, and pretty much anyone who plays the game at all has it

Yet take, for example, the people who consider battleborn a MOBA, and I hear nothing but complaints about how people how to pay for a MOBA. You also hear a ton of complaints about any sort of addition purchase mechanism inside a B2P game (i.e. skins)

In conclusion: I'm worried that the B2P model will drive away a lot of people who only want to play F2P games, regardless of how much they actualy end up paying in the end, particularly when there is a slightly different model that allows the best of both worlds

I feel the same way. I think F2P with the all access pass for $30 would be a great way to satisfy both target markets. I think the $30 paywall is going to be a big deterrent for new players. I love this game, and I would drop $30 on it to have access to all champs, however, I don't think I would have dropped that much money before playing the game. I probably would have just passed it over like many other games. I really hope they have a great marketing department, because this one is going to be a tough sell for new players who don't know anything about the game.

Tiborb
05-06-2016, 12:42 AM

But the playerbase will be thin compared to a f2p game.
I'm sorry but a huge playerbase is a must for a game with queues.
I'm done with AR too.

Slyzer
05-06-2016, 01:20 AM
Wow, I really didn't see this coming! Like the rest of the community, I really hope this works out for you guys; your marketing team have got a challenge ahead of them now :D

While I'm sure you've considered it already, I believe getting bigger YouTubers and streamers on-board could be a key to success. Having said that, I think it's important that you're selective on who you make aware of the game. The likes of Jesse Cox (https://www.youtube.com/user/OMFGcata) enjoys strategy based games and he doesn't seem to be money driven when it comes to supporting games he believes in. Obviously, he's just one example of many out there.

You guys have got this though, I believe in you and Atlas Reactor!

Gaw
05-06-2016, 03:13 AM
What is the situation with Steam?

Do you have to purchase a pack on Steam instead of Trion?
What is the extent of the integration? Trading cards, Steam overlay etc.
When is the expected Early Access Release Date on Steam?

Sandling
05-06-2016, 05:21 AM
A bold decision indeed, but one I welcome with open arms! This also got two of my friends to have more interest in the game again :)

Now, with people worried about it detering the 'F2P' filler in the playerbase for queues - Wouldn't it perhaps be a possible idea if Free to Play would still be possible, yet with no experience/progress, and only 'free rotation' characters to try out?

This way you'd have a sort-of trial experience for people to play along and try the game, with enough incentive for said players to decide on purchasing the game so they can participate in any progress, as well as the choice to play the character they truly want.

Also - Will this mean the cooperative mode and custom modes can be slightly more rewarding/challenging (read: fleshed out. I've never even fought an Elle/Rampart or Oz bot f.i. / iso reward) as a result of this decision? Without progress being the mechanic to revolve the system around as much, I don't see much harm allowing people to experience the game in the way they prefer without drastic penalty.

Bababaa
05-06-2016, 05:34 AM
I've never even fought an Elle/Rampart or Oz bot f.i.
Not to derail the conversation or anything, but consider yourself lucky.

Vanquish
05-06-2016, 06:35 AM
Will steam keys be provided for people who have already bought the game?

Xelluse
05-06-2016, 07:54 AM
A bold decision indeed, but one I welcome with open arms! This also got two of my friends to have more interest in the game again :)

Now, with people worried about it detering the 'F2P' filler in the playerbase for queues - Wouldn't it perhaps be a possible idea if Free to Play would still be possible, yet with no experience/progress, and only 'free rotation' characters to try out?

This way you'd have a sort-of trial experience for people to play along and try the game, with enough incentive for said players to decide on purchasing the game so they can participate in any progress, as well as the choice to play the character they truly want.

Also - Will this mean the cooperative mode and custom modes can be slightly more rewarding/challenging (read: fleshed out. I've never even fought an Elle/Rampart or Oz bot f.i. / iso reward) as a result of this decision? Without progress being the mechanic to revolve the system around as much, I don't see much harm allowing people to experience the game in the way they prefer without drastic penalty.

It may do a worst job for game.
Also same LoL which is most popular game all over the world have Q problems in specific periods, when game starts in 5 minutes instead of 20 seconds, so B2P model will have Q problems, on release it will be normal and quite good in Prime-time, but just after some months you will feel difference.
This game have very specific gameplay, that is not very popular in mass, to take example of Xcom 2, that have huge promotion even from great magazines and Steam have now just 4-5k 24h peak all over the world (more than 9m copies sold), so to have about 1 minute Q game should be global (that's somehow OK to play with ping 300, but not more cos delay will be very annoying) and beat Xcom 2 online about 5-times minimum (on release online will be good, but it will decrease over time, important to make players stay in game longer and grinding for new characters (like in LoL or SMITE) and leveling them up is helping somehow, but heavy grind may kill online too, also B2P game mustn't be grindy too... What can I say ? Good luck. Hope they have really good ideas how to make game and its online enough good, but I have bad feelings about that and this situation reminds me very, very familiar story.

lee5790
05-06-2016, 08:36 AM
While I'm not sure if this is the best idea, I trust that you guys know what your doing and support the idea. I think the $20-$30 price range is very reasonable. I'm also thankful that you are giving those of us that only have a minor investment in the game ($10) a copy.

Also for those saying "the player-base is going to be too small, I quit" should wait it out and see if it is at launch. I think the game will still grow and be large enough to have reasonable queue times.

Ikzo
05-06-2016, 08:58 AM
If it was F2P people would have complain about it too, all i see is alots of people like the game and really care about the future of AR :)

Just trust the developpers guys, i think they are more aware of us about what to do ...

Anyway iam pleased to see this changes because, i found that every moba with F2P models, got some OP heroes when they are released, i guess this problem will be probably solved with AR :)

Venidicio
05-06-2016, 05:34 PM
Thinking several steps ahead, you will realize this is a very smart strategy from devs.

Because this game is different. Skill, swiftness, predictions, and luck is what matters to win. So anyone can jump in to this game, at any time, without having to worry about power/exp gap. The free rotation weekend can help with the playerbase issue later. What devs need to do, is keep up with contents: add maps, lancers, etc; and keep promoting the game (I hope they cooperate with hardware makers too).

One thing for sure, that $10 pack will make you EXTREMELY happy if you don't procrastinate and get that founder status now. So skip a few Starbucks and secure your spot; free future lancers for 10-bucks is simply too good to be true.

HvitUlv
05-07-2016, 08:57 AM
Well, the great power of this game, is that this is a different experiance. Because of that I bought one of the Founder's packs. But also, I would never do it without participating in the open alfa event. I am extremely happy of what the game is giving us and the effort you guys are putting in it. Here is a link concentrating about the games that are pay to play vs free to play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rl6d1BW8_RI

A very good example is the Titan Fall. It also introduced some new mechanics and interesting ideas, but there is a very small playerbase at the moment, mainly because players didn't want to pay to play or threw the game away because of poor matching system (small player base).

Giving this, if you want it to be pay to play game, as you mentioned in the stream yesterday, it would be best if you would provide long term access for the players, when the game goes live. For example let them create a new account free for a week or a month, let the player gather some items, experiance, ISO, give them the possibility to check how great the game is. Not only some free weekend from time to time.

Well, this is actually something that might be a problem for the community and devs in a rather after beta future. But starting to think of it now already is not a bad idea.

I hope that all will go according to your plans and we will be able to spend years having fun in AR.

gloves
05-07-2016, 09:37 AM
I could type a lot about this, but going b2p seems like a death blow for AR as a competitive multiplayer side. The main game mode requires 8 players, and any hope at more than an extremely niche playerbase + competitive scene dies with this change. It will be near-impossible to introduce a ton of new players to the game (even with an enjoyable free weekend, many people aren't looking to drop this sort of money on a non-AAA title).

While AR isn't quite a moba, successful games in that market are universally f2p with various monetization schemes, games from other semi-similar genres (think titles like Xcom, Frozen Synapse, and arguably even rts-style games) tend to sell for a fraction of the price or are much more complete products (including things like story mode, more game variants, and so on). It's hard to see AR succeeding by deviating negatively from industry standards -- queues will be small, matches will be unbalanced, there will be no competitive scene to generate hype...the future picture of this game looks very bleak. Perhaps it was ambitious to hope, but I could have plausibly seen AR as a third or fourth-tier esport (think something like WoT or Rocket League from an esports perspective) and with an active, passionate, moderately-sized playerbase. Now it's hard to see the game even getting off the ground.

Of course designing a monetization scheme is super important and the game needs to be making money. I just see no upsides of going b2p versus going with a god-pack model (a la Smite) instead. Leave access open, encourage new players to sign up and play for free at any time, and have a reasonably priced pack allowing blanket lancer ownership in addition to a-la-carte purchasing options. The player-count (which could literally be magnitudes larger) should more than make up for any lost revenue from upfront sales, and you could throw the pre-order community a bone in including the lancer pack with existing pack purchases. Nobody's mad, you guys don't lose money, and AR doesn't artificially cap the playerbase behind a paywall. Not only that, the gaming community writ large widely praised Smite for this sort of model, and it was clearly a giant success. I challenge you to name a b2p game in a similar niche (a competitive multiplayer game with 1 core game mode) without massive franchise backing and name recognition (hi SC2, CS:GO, etc.) which has experienced similar success. I'm relatively confident it doesn't exist.

You guys obviously have some metrics, data, ideas, etc. which have lead you to make this choice. I'm sure in your offices you've discussed a "lancer pack" concept before and opted to go this route instead. Why? What are we missing?

P.S. Hi Muzzy, made an account here just for you :p

hackman
05-07-2016, 01:56 PM
Well my opinion on this is short: $30 is too high a price for anyone player who is only slightly interested. If you don't have a few die-hard friends who talk you into buying, you probably won't... For a competitive game to keep a big playerbase it needs to be cheap. Look at Awesomenauts - they did it right! Or look how games like Strike Vector or Titranfall failed: too high of a prize for a spontaneous purchase.
Personally, since I am really broke right now, I hesitated on buying the Founder's Pack plus I got Beta access anyways. I'll regret it, since next week the price for the same pack will double. You should consider keeping it at 10 for a longer while, and give every current player a chance to get a nice low-price early access. Not sure if I'm gonna spend double what my friends payed (once i get cash end of month) just cause someone pulled an overnight overhaul of business model....

Jkitty
05-07-2016, 07:12 PM
I personally don't really like the whole all freelancers unlocked forever for simply buying the game. Now I understand that higher priced founders packs would have such a thing but it doesn't seem right for just lower level purchases or for simply buying the game.

I mean earning the freelancers is a part of them and I know technically my opinion can't apply here because I already had almost all of them due to buying the most expensive founder's pack but how do you earn further money? One of the big things was people having to buy the freelancers, sure you could earn them with ISO but I bet a lot of people would just buy the their few handful of favorite freelancers up front and now that part of the income is lost.

MurderousRobot
05-07-2016, 11:50 PM
I mean earning the freelancers is a part of them and I know technically my opinion can't apply here because I already had almost all of them due to buying the most expensive founder's pack but how do you earn further money? One of the big things was people having to buy the freelancers, sure you could earn them with ISO but I bet a lot of people would just buy the their few handful of favorite freelancers up front and now that part of the income is lost.
The idea is to continue charging for cosmetic items and game boosters. For example: GG's and Skins will still be available for cash.

I will say I'm a bit surprised at the $30 price point. I'd think $20-$25 would be more agreeable, but that's my opinion as a consumer, I don't know much about how pricing games work in practice. However, we are still in closed beta and content is still being added to the game. With more lancers and maps coming in it might feel justified down the line. If the 'Limited Early Price' of $20 is lasting until actual release then I think that's a fair chance to get the game cheap!

I think a lot of concerns might be cleared up once we learn how the refer a friend trial program will work.

Kaynine
05-08-2016, 04:06 AM
Seems like a slap in the face to me. After getting invited to try a new upcoming f2p game, I and many others like myself get thrown out and the door locked behind us after the word of this great game has spread enough to make a quick buck on.

It was fun while it lasted, was great playing with/against some of you guys. I'll need to let my brother down easy. He didnt get invited so he was excited for launch.

Sandling
05-08-2016, 04:46 AM
Seems like a slap in the face to me. After getting invited to try a new upcoming f2p game, I and many others like myself get thrown out and the door locked behind us after the word of this great game has spread enough to make a quick buck on.

It was fun while it lasted, was great playing with/against some of you guys. I'll need to let my brother down easy. He didnt get invited so he was excited for launch.

Just to inform - You can currently unlock the entire game for just 10 bucks, whether or not you were invited before. There's indie titles with heftier pricetags on their head. ;)

MurderousRobot
05-08-2016, 08:02 PM
Just to inform - You can currently unlock the entire game for just 10 bucks, whether or not you were invited before. There's indie titles with heftier pricetags on their head. ;)

Yeah.. I mean if your only complaint is "I was never planning on spending money on this game and now I can't do that." ... uh... sorry, I guess?

Ibsen
05-08-2016, 08:11 PM
;;;

Ibsen
05-08-2016, 08:12 PM

If it was fun, you would support it.

Art and entertainment aren't a free service by default.

If you won't spend this tiny amount of money on your hobby, then maybe you're not really that interested.

Kaynine
05-09-2016, 12:01 AM
It is fun, and I wish I could support it. I'm not in a position right now where I can spend much or anything on entertainment. Which is one of the reasons I started playing this.

Do not presume to know what I'm interested in and thanks for looking down on me by declaring what I don't have a tiny amount. A fine example to us all.

Ibsen
05-09-2016, 05:10 AM
It is fun, and I wish I could support it.

Do not presume to know what I'm interested in

bruh.

Your correct costs are relative but if the cost of AR, which is 50% that of most games, is too high perhaps you shouldnt be playing games in your free time. The amount of time you've spent here on forums crying is enough time you could have flipped some weed at a high school to afford AR.

Less QQ, More Do.

Kaynine
05-09-2016, 06:03 AM
Again, what I do in my free time is of no concern to you. When(if?) you grow into an adult with some responsibilities you'll understand the need for some downtime at a minimal cost. The only people I see "crying" here are people who are trying to suppress legitimate concerns with this "I want to be special" nonsense.

I'm afraid "flipping weed" at a high school is out of the question. I'd probably be arrested just for being that creepy old guy, never mind the drugs.

MorganFR
05-09-2016, 06:19 AM
Guys, no need to be rude to each other. Some people simply can't afford it. That said, skipping two meals or so will save enough money to buy the game. There's no need for shady plans. ^^ Then again, one might already be skipping meals to get by.

MorganFR
05-09-2016, 06:41 AM
Will the "Trust Edition" from the new bundles also give an extra key for beta access? It is not mentioned in the new tables for "Trust Edition" or "Trust Pack". I suppose it will, but you never know.

NapalmDawn
05-09-2016, 10:21 PM
I fully agree.

In another point of view, the B2P is good since it will prevent the entry into mass toxic players only spoil the community.
But from another point of view, many good players will not even look at the game just knowing that will have to buy. And another thing, as is the other regions of the world?
I for example live in Brazil, and many know that econimia here this garbage! and $ Dolar for us this very expensive ranging from x3 to x4 times.
So just imagine that 90% of Brazilian players will not even look at the game just knowing that will have to buy at a higher price 3x or x4.

To be cincero, I did not hate the idea of B2P, but I'm on the fence ..
Sorry for my terrible English.

Whelp, I was going to say RIP Atlas Reactor but buy to play does keep out the BRs so...long live Atlas Reactor!

alex15964
05-09-2016, 10:57 PM
when can I get the pack upgrade? ex: 200 tokens

Knight Of Virtue
05-10-2016, 10:21 AM
I can't say it'll be the normal experience but I had a couple friends who weren't interested in the game because they're burnt out of grinding for characters in every other game lately. Once I told them it was switching to buy2play they got a basic founders pack and have almost played as much as I have.

I think it's actually a good choice as it looks like a lot of people are getting tired of having to grind or pay extreme amounts for core gameplay content. I think the games success will be much more on generating interest for somewhat niche gameplay rather than the business model. Hopefully the recent success of games like Xcom can give it a boost.

Todd
05-10-2016, 12:25 PM
Honestly, I'm not really interested in this game anymore after learning it's not free to play. I know that sounds cold and short-sighted, but there are just too many games out there. I barely have enough time to play all the free ones, let alone buy a new game. I am over 35 now and probably not in the target demographic anyway, but I do hope the game does well though.

Xelluse
05-10-2016, 01:22 PM
I can't say it'll be the normal experience but I had a couple friends who weren't interested in the game because they're burnt out of grinding for characters in every other game lately. Once I told them it was switching to buy2play they got a basic founders pack and have almost played as much as I have.

I think it's actually a good choice as it looks like a lot of people are getting tired of having to grind or pay extreme amounts for core gameplay content. I think the games success will be much more on generating interest for somewhat niche gameplay rather than the business model. Hopefully the recent success of games like Xcom can give it a boost.

I have a couple friends who will not even try it now. How long your friends will stay in the game that was not in their interest, and if they do not play game just because Characters are or aren't open that mean, that this game/genre/style does not means much for them, shortly it all means good player base on release and bad ending after some months.
I never purchase games where is purchasable other stuff, I will better spend 30$ in to the skins if I like game than will purchase game and then spend more for skins. If I look to open champion in games like this I purchase pucks like in LoL or in SMITE, but I'll never do that, cos I love master 1 champion before jump to another (like in DoTA for example where half of community still can't Hook normally), also opening champions one by one gives incentive to find more and new things in game and play it longer to open new ones (this is one of the reasons why F2P games are most playable and profitable).

Also even in Open Week Overwatch I have problems in finding teams in morning time, also that teams are way unbalanced in matchmaking (cos its player base is not enough to balance players by their own skill, like in LoL, DoTA or SMITE) and I do not think that AR will do better (Overwatch have really good promotion just by being created by Blizzard, I'll say nothing about other promotions by biggest PC game journals and sites). This story not happen first time and all that games in the end or go to strange F2P model (which cuts its own player base) or die, I don't want to see AR in that games list. This story is very familiar for me and reminds me HoN which was not bad game and have really good start, but where it is now ? One of most unpopular MOBA nowadays.
I really hope I'm wrong and story will not be repeated. But at this state if none friends are playing specific game = that specific game is deleted... Good luck and and have fun.

Appleminion
05-10-2016, 05:36 PM
Hello People!

I bought the Trust Pack 6 days ago, will i still get all the bonuses of the new bundles + the stuff that people get that already bought a pack? (The stuff in green text)

Riff
05-11-2016, 12:49 PM
Can't read the entire thread, apologies if this has been asked/answered already:

I don't want to drop $100 on it right now but if I bought one B2P pack can I upgrade later?

TIA

DaLawlz
05-12-2016, 02:25 AM
I just saw the atlas reactor site and the packs stayed the same. So it means that the 4 older packs are still available for purchase?

skiddroww
05-12-2016, 04:58 AM
I have a couple friends who will not even try it now. How long your friends will stay in the game that was not in their interest, and if they do not play game just because Characters are or aren't open that mean, that this game/genre/style does not means much for them, shortly it all means good player base on release and bad ending after some months.
I never purchase games where is purchasable other stuff, I will better spend 30$ in to the skins if I like game than will purchase game and then spend more for skins. If I look to open champion in games like this I purchase pucks like in LoL or in SMITE, but I'll never do that, cos I love master 1 champion before jump to another (like in DoTA for example where half of community still can't Hook normally), also opening champions one by one gives incentive to find more and new things in game and play it longer to open new ones (this is one of the reasons why F2P games are most playable and profitable).

Also even in Open Week Overwatch I have problems in finding teams in morning time, also that teams are way unbalanced in matchmaking (cos its player base is not enough to balance players by their own skill, like in LoL, DoTA or SMITE) and I do not think that AR will do better (Overwatch have really good promotion just by being created by Blizzard, I'll say nothing about other promotions by biggest PC game journals and sites). This story not happen first time and all that games in the end or go to strange F2P model (which cuts its own player base) or die, I don't want to see AR in that games list. This story is very familiar for me and reminds me HoN which was not bad game and have really good start, but where it is now ? One of most unpopular MOBA nowadays.
I really hope I'm wrong and story will not be repeated. But at this state if none friends are playing specific game = that specific game is deleted... Good luck and and have fun.

I think it's a little short sighted to compare the health of a game that is not released yet to games that have been out for almost a decade, especially when AR is essentially creating a new genre.

Queue times were bad in LoL alpha/early beta, as well, and were subject to the whims of other releases, just as much as AR is now. That's because it's a small community of closed beta players. When the game goes early access on steam, and then open beta, and then again at full release, I expect the community will grow rapidly.

I find it that your argument that LoL, DoTA, and SMITE have more balanced player bases is inaccurate. I have watched players of every rank of each of those games rage at the pugs they get placed with in queue. It's just the unfortunate nature of using an ELO system in a team-based game, where you are ranked and rated statistically based on not your own skill, but the skill of your team.

As for f2p, if you don't like paying for games, that's fine. Many of us do. I, for one, welcome the change, since it means that free players cannot flood the game and ruin it with their toxicity. All f2p games have to deal with toxic players, trolls, griefers, and smurfs. And since they can just create new accounts for free, there is really nothing that can be done about them, except ban one and watch 10 more crop up in their place. That's not to say we won't have any toxicity or trolling in AR, but a $30 price tag will go a long way towards discouraging people from acting out.

skiddroww
05-12-2016, 05:00 AM
Can't read the entire thread, apologies if this has been asked/answered already:

I don't want to drop $100 on it right now but if I bought one B2P pack can I upgrade later?

TIA

You will most likely, but by that time it won't be the same pack.

Right now if you buy the $100 pack, you get 200 mods, 200 GG boosts, and $50 in credits. Once the transition to the new packs takes place (Extremely soon (TM)), then those benefits will be removed from the pack. They haven't given us an exact date, but it may even be as soon as today when they take the new RAF system live.

DaLawlz
05-12-2016, 05:42 AM
To anyone who's able to read this post, know about it, and can answer it:

If I buy the Access pack while it's available (which is about 12th may in my time zone today (GMT+7)), will I get the benefits for getting all the Freelancers free forever?

illmaticcrook
05-12-2016, 03:16 PM
So for those of us that bought founders packs, is there going to be a way to play this game through steam?

MorganFR
05-13-2016, 01:48 AM
So for those of us that bought founders packs, is there going to be a way to play this game through steam?

Yes, you can play on Steam right away, because the Steam version uses the Glyph launcher to authenticate you and start the game, so you can log in with your Glyph account through Steam.

illmaticcrook
05-13-2016, 07:15 AM
Yes, you can play on Steam right away, because the Steam version uses the Glyph launcher to authenticate you and start the game, so you can log in with your Glyph account through Steam.

The thing is, Steam won't allow you to launch the Glyph launcher until you purchase the game through steam. I don't want to have to buy the game twice.

MorganFR
05-13-2016, 08:16 AM
The thing is, Steam won't allow you to launch the Glyph launcher until you purchase the game through steam. I don't want to have to buy the game twice.

In that case, you can launch from Steam a free game like Trove that will bring up the launcher, but choose to start Atlas Reactor instead. However, it will notify other people that you are playing the free game.

But yes you are right, they need to fix that.

DaLawlz
05-15-2016, 07:29 AM
Just wanted to ask this:
Why is the price in Steam literally half of that in the site? Is it steam's rule or because of the bonuses such as Trove Pup ally, Rift Ramp's shield and Asana's sword?
Price in steam = IDR 135 999 ~ USD 10
Price in site = IDR 266 700 ~ USD 20 (Well it's stated there)

Jynxy
05-16-2016, 05:54 AM
So ppl buying the 20$ pack now no longer get $10 ingame credits? 0.0

AnderX2000
05-17-2016, 02:26 PM
Didn't read the entire thread. So this has been touched on already I am sure.

I am only one voice and it's a little late, however I think going full B2P is a mistake. It will limit the player base in the short run, not to mention the long run. Outside of the top games, we have all seen games fade away from a lack of enough players. When playing a game designed primarily for multiplayer only PVP, I personally do not like waiting and waiting for a match because the game lack's enough players.

It's very unlikely it will change now, however I think TRION should have followed Hi-Rez with how they handled SMITE. SMITE is F2P but they also have an "Ultimate God Pack" which gives all gods forever for $30. Same as the $30 AR pack. It's basically the best of both worlds. You get F2P players, B2P players who want a full roster and you can still have micro-transactions. Win, win, win for TRION.

In the end, we would have a choice and more players to fill the queues for the life of the game. I still bought the $99 Trust edtion because I like the game. I really just like knowing when I invest in a game like this that 3, 6, 12 months after release I can jump in and there are still enough players to keep enjoying it.

Maybe TRION can still change their mind? Maybe.

AnderX2000

Bogden
01-19-2017, 02:54 PM
Welp. Guess we know how this played out now!